Simple Truth Organic Grass-Fed Beef From Kroger?

Hey guys,

Any opinions on this brand of grass-fed beef? It's pricey at $7/lb at my local Kroger, but serves its purpose in between trips to the farmer's market. 

Upon initial examination, it looks pretty legit. Uruguayan beef has a good reputation(?) according to many sources. Anyone else tried it?

Links:

http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/general-discussion/organic-100-grass-fed-beef-from-uruguay/

http://www.simpletruth.com/
http://boloco.com/blog/why-uruguay/

"No part of a person's will is ever in conflict with the reality of any given moment."

3WB3rcq.jpg?1

Comments

• Good question. I'm curious as well.

• Seems legit, though it is hard to imagine a real deal grass-fed farm being able to do business with Kroger.  It is a similar thought I have when I see White Oak Pastures in Whole Foods Markets.  It's hard not to be skeptical.  Also, I could have done without this sentence

Ultimately, the nutrition of grass-fed versus grain-fed beef is very similar, surprisingly enough. Read ahead for a more in-depth look at the comparisons.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

LOL @ Kroger. The chain for stuffy old white people.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    edited June 2014

we use it - no complaints.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• I've been curious myself. I can't seem to find if it's grass fed, grass finish. I find most 'mass market" grass fed beef is fattened up with grains for the last month before slaughter.

I just recently found grass fed beef steaks from NZ at Trader Joe's. While they've had ground beef for awhile, this is the first I've seen. Any opinions?

• While the beef could be grass-fed, does it specify if it's grass-finished? All beef could plaster on its package that it's grass-fed because all beef is initially grass-fed. The finishing process is the most important. 

in hindsight I should have mentioned the link I provided above is to Simple Truth's blog post detailing what "grass-fed" means to them - it is pretty detailed.

for what it's worth, the usda does regulate the use of the words "grass-fed" -

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/ams.fetchTemplateData.do?template=TemplateN&navID=GrassFedMarketingClaimStandards&rightNav1=GrassFedMarketingClaimStandards&topNav=&leftNav=GradingCertificationandVerfication&page=GrassFedMarketingClaims&resultType=&acct=lsstd

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• I shop at Kroger a lot so I contacted them. Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting Customer Connect. My name is Sara and I received your email regarding our Simple Truth Grass Fed Beef. In order to be marketed as grass fed, the cows used may never receive grain during their lifetime. The Kroger Co is happy to comply with that regulation. In short, Simple Truth Organic Grass Fed Beef is 100% Grass Fed!

I hope that you find this information helpful. If I can be of further assistance, please simply respond to this email or call 1-800-576-4377

Thank you for shopping with us.

Sincerely,

Kroger Customer Connect 

The Kroger Family of Stores 

• Interesting.

• JustsoJustso
    edited February 2014

Seems legit, though it is hard to imagine a real deal grass-fed farm being able to do business with Kroger.  It is a similar thought I have when I see White Oak Pastures in Whole Foods Markets.  It's hard not to be skeptical.  Also, I could have done without this sentence

I can tell you that you have positively nothing to worry about regarding White Oak Pastures grass fed products. They are absolutely 100% the real deal, never a morsle of grain fed to these animals. I've been buying from the Harris's for a long time, and their meat is absolutely the best I've ever had. They've acheived the highest ratings available for their products, and are only one of two in the United States to achieve the step 5 rating from the Global Animal Partnership and they have a zero waste facility. Their products are exactly what they say they are. They are also some of the most expensive beef Whole Foods sells, which should tell the story. I've spoken with the butchers at Whole Foods about their opinion of the meat they sell and no matter which store I go to, the response is all the same: "it's the best. Period."

I order direct from the farm rather than buying retail, unless there's a cut of meat I have to have that I'm out of between purchases from the farm.

• Good to know - thanks for the input.  At the WFM I shop at, the White Oak meat gets a step 4 rating, not a 5.  Has this changed, because this tells me I do have something to worry about regardless of the high price.  Also, the opinions of WFM employees don't mean much to me - I had a fishmonger try to talk me into farm raised salmon very passionately and I had to just walk away shaking my head.  Most of them don't know dick about food outside of WF propoganda.

I can tell you that you have positively nothing to worry about regarding White Oak Pastures grass fed products. They are absolutely 100% the real deal, never a morsle of grain fed to these animals. I've been buying from the Harris's for a long time, and their meat is absolutely the best I've ever had. They've acheived the highest ratings available for their products, and are only one of two in the United States to achieve the step 5 rating from the Global Animal Partnership and they have a zero waste facility. Their products are exactly what they say they are. They are also some of the most expensive beef Whole Foods sells, which should tell the story. I've spoken with the butchers at Whole Foods about their opinion of the meat they sell and no matter which store I go to, the response is all the same: "it's the best. Period."

I order direct from the farm rather than buying retail, unless there's a cut of meat I have to have that I'm out of between purchases from the farm.

• Good to know - thanks for the input.  At the WFM I shop at, the White Oak meat gets a step 4 rating, not a 5.  Has this changed, because this tells me I do have something to worry about regardless of the high price.  Also, the opinions of WFM employees don't mean much to me - I had a fishmonger try to talk me into farm raised salmon very passionately and I had to just walk away shaking my head.  Most of them don't know dick about food outside of WF propoganda.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about WF propaganda. I can't tell you how much disinformation I've seen there, but of course, they're about selling products. With regards to a Step 4 rating, I don't know why that's there. According to the Global Animal Partnership website, they're listed as a Step 5 Operation, and featured here stating such: http://www.globalanimalpartnership.org/the-5-step-program/meet-5-step-farmers/

Every product I've seen my local WF selling all has their products as Step 5, including chicken & lamb products they sell there. Maybe a misprinted label? I'm not sure, but when going direct to the source, they still show them as a Step 5 operation.

Hope this helps.

• Unfortunately Kroger changed suppliers. Their beef isnt from Uruguay anymore. As of  September 2016 its made in the USA. Im contacting kroger to see if its grass finished.

• The Simple Truth 100% grass fed patties are USDA Certified Organic. According to the USDA...

"beef labeled grass-fed means that the animal ate grass and forage (like hay or silage) from weaning (when it no longer drinks its mother’s milk) to harvest. These animals cannot be fed grain at any point. Those of us that grew up with cows tend to think of this style of production as grass-fed and grass-finished because they spend their entire lives eating only grass., this means that when they claim grass fed, they are never fed grain. The cows eat grass from start to finish."

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

If both AMS and FSIS approve the label, the meat producer can then sport an official "USDA Process Verified" logo on its packaging.

This logo was, and still is, meant to give consumers confidence that the meat they are buying is 100% grass-fed.
    maybe?
    https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/beef/grassfed
    http://www.businessinsider.com/grass-fed-claims-beef-bogus-usda-packaging-2016-2
    http://reason.com/archives/2016/01/16/why-the-usdas-abdication-of-grass-fed-la
    now if you are sufficiently confused
    http://onpasture.com/2016/01/18/usda-revokes-grassfed-label-standard-not/

I am skeptical.

be specific about the questions you ask regarding the diet of the animal through its entire life as well as the living conditions. sadly, there is a disconnect between what you think/assume and what is.

grass fed = not what you may think.

I use the gamey flavor as a litmus. I do not buy the story that they have a trick to mask or remove this characteristic flavor of cows that eat only grass, native greenery and hay, that is unless the trick is called corn. this is a very sore point with me. For me, food raised in traditional ways is more medicinal than anything else. I don't put on weight and feel optimal.
    now just watch and they will synthesize gamey compounds and pump the cow to create this illusion, though probably not. people do not seem to be too discerning about what they are really eating, they look for organic and grass something pay an inflated price and call it good.

when I go to a steakhouse I get good old corn fed beef because it is delicious.

I was talking with a friend and brought up grass fed organic cows, I had to change topics, I was pretty much verbally whipped. She lived in a community where livestock are prevalent. the topic is a sore one. apparently the economics are daunting and the overall process is quite challenging for a farmer compared to mix feed non organic. I've looked at the numbers offered in some stories that try to loosely estimate the additional cost.

people are keying in to the idea that something isn't right with our food and have attempted to eat better and producers have responded in kind with more deceptive labeling to continue doing business as usual.

• I have a concern about Kroger hamburger because when I fry it up for tacos it doesn't come apart like regular hamburger. I have to cut it apart into little bits and when I put it in a pile it will stick back together. I've never had hamburger do that ever. what do you think