Collagen/tryptophan

Does anyone have a recommendation for the ratios to use in the collagen/tryptophan cocktail referenced on the Steve Fowkes podcast?

Comments

• Last night I tried 2 gm in 4oz bone broth because i did not have any collagen. Seemed to have some effect. Picked up some collagen today and have 2gm tryptophan and 1tsp collagen in 4oz water. Shake it periodically and will drink it 30 min prior to bed time. We'll see if it works better this way.

We are here to help others. What the others are here for, I have no idea.

• edited February 2014

I'll be trying this tonight. 

1 or 2 grams of trypophan and whatever feels right for the Collagen.

It would be nice to have a followup blog post with some specifics regarding the Steve Fowkes podcasts. 

Found at least one interesting study so far...but no clear information on how or why this chemical combination is better.

http://arno.unimaas.nl/show.cgi?fid=4606

• From Steve's website:

My best ratio is 200 mg tryptophan to 2 rounded teaspoons of collagen powder in a full glass of water. It works best on an empty stomach.

http://www.projectwellbeing.com/health/heart-health-dialog-dinner/#comment-3718

I'm going to try that tonight.

• I used only 100 mg Tryptophan dissolved with collagen powder last night and noticed a huge difference already.  Will double it tonight.  Definitely a positive experience. 

• What would happen if you used too much Tryptophan?

• edited February 2014

Would the amount of 5htp be the same as of tryptophan or should we use less? 

Is there any chance of causing serotonin syndrome if done incorrectly?

• If i am 35 with no joint pains or soreness .   Than will taking collagen have any benefit to me ?   I've been wanting to try some with all the positive advice Dave talks about , but I just cant rationalize why I would take it ..

Can someone please explain more benefits collagen will have on my body if I take it regularly . 

And yes , to the topic ,  5htp and collagen , wanna try that too for sleep and regeneration ,  (40 is a bit steep price though)

• edited February 2014

I'll be trying this tonight. 

1 or 2 grams of trypophan and whatever feels right for the Collagen.

It would be nice to have a followup blog post with some specifics regarding the Steve Fowkes podcasts. 

Found at least one interesting study so far...but no clear information on how or why this chemical combination is better.

http://arno.unimaas.nl/show.cgi?fid=4606

This study is confusing as hell, the 'placebo' was the mixture with Collagen Protein and Tryptophan (100 g CP + 200g water + 1.21g TRP). Its saying the CP+TRP combination reduces 'plasma' i.e. blood 5-HT (serotonin) levels resulting in 'acute tryptophan depletion'...in the blood.

• ZenfoodZenfood ɹǝqɯǝɯ pǝɔuɐʌp∀

Too much tryptophan = sleep hangover

200mg is good.

• Too much tryptophan = can't sleep because it feels like a blood vessel will pop

From now on, I'm going to do 1 tsp, instead of 2.

Too much tryptophan = sleep hangover

200mg is good.

• Is 5-HTP the same thing as L-Tryptophan? I take 100mg of 5-HTP at bedtime....

The only dosage I can find on Amazon for L-Tryptophan is 500mg... is that OK?

• They are and they aren't the same things... I think it is  Tryptophan -> 5-HTP(5-Hydroxytryptophan) -> Melotonin -> Serotonin (during the day). It is a cycle.

You really have to experiement, different people have different experiences.

If you want to understand this and how to help your sleep: http://www.amazon.com/The-Mood-Cure-Program-Emotions-Today/dp/0142003646

• Is 5-HTP the same thing as L-Tryptophan? I take 100mg of 5-HTP at bedtime....

The only dosage I can find on Amazon for L-Tryptophan is 500mg... is that OK?

If it's a capsule and I'm sure it is...just open it and split it in half.  Doesn't have to be perfect.  I was hoping to find a higher dose because I share mine with another family member at night. 

• I did the sleep cocktail last night into some herbal detox tea, 6.6 grams collagen (about a tsp and half) to one 500 mg capsule (oh and I added in some xylitol because of another page that totes the benefits of xylitol and collagen together.  Within about 15-20 mins of starting the tea I had a strange sensation in my brain.  Not necessarily good or bad, but it was weird and noticeable and I decided to head up to bed right when I noticed it.  Up stairs I flipped on the red light finished my bed time routine and sleep really well.  I woke up earlier than planned, but felt good doing it.  So i just went with it.  I will repeat tonight and base on the post above from Steve's wight I will half the tryptophan.  (FYI I did get an almost instant dry mouth from the tea, anyone else get this with the collagen/trypto mix??)

• i've been trying the collagen/tryptophan thing too...so far it does seem to correlate with some better sleep,and i seem to be in a better mood in the morning when i wake up. definitely gonna keep that one in my bag of tricks.