Compromise Between Sleep And Weight Training

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to Bulletproof but it's been always my passion to optimize whatever I do. One thing I'm working on right now is finding a compromise for gaining muscle mass while sleeping as less as possible (without affecting my health). What got me thinking was Dave's comment on the relation between weight training and the amount of deep sleep needed.

But let's see how I can structure my ideas more clearly:

Goal: to find the amount of weight training and sleep I feel best with 

Approach:

- Quantify the critical factors like daily calorie intake, workout intensity, amount of (deep) sleep 

-  Set monthly goal for muscle gain -> calculate how much effort is needed based on workout variables

- Find out how I can calculate the amount of sleep needed based on workout variables  

The last point is where I'd be grateful for your help: I was wondering what science knows about the relation between how many calories we take in / how intense we work out and how much sleep we need.  

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Short update: What is your take on sleep hacking while lifting weights regularly? 

These are Dave statements about this topic (loosely quoted):

1. Even a short workout of 20 minutes can result in a higher need for (deep?) sleep.

2. Don't hack your sleep for three nights after your workout.

Do you know any scientific sources for these statements? And what does "don't hack your sleep" mean: Would that mean 6.5 hours (the "safe" amount according to the Kripke-Study that Dave mentions) would be okay? Or even 5?

• Does anyone know if 6.5 hours of sleep are a "safe" amount of sleep even if you are working out several times per week?

• I've been finding that I've been needing more sleep when training every day, and even then I'm crashing (I'm also keeping my carbs super low, so that might be affecting it). Dave mentions not making your sleep super low if you're working out frequently during the week. Your performance will likely suffer if you cut your sleep too low. Sleep debt is NOT FUN. I've had to take a week off of my training to readjust my schedule, and get more sleep.

Jason Miller probably could tell you more. So could drum, I feel.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Everyone needs different amounts of sleep but the average person can get their sleep down to around the 7 hour mark just doing the bare bones sleep suggestions and still maintain an 80%+ rating in sleep cycle (the accuracy of this app is another thread in itself). I wouldn't suggest sleep hacking any further than that if you plan to pack on mass because it will negatively effect it. That type of training and sleep hacking just don't go together. You personally may be able to hack below that to your goal of 6.5 hours but you'd have to quantify that yourself based on how you feel, your cognitive performance, etc.

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.