What The F*!#...getting Frustrated...please Criticize

Ugh...day 21 on bulletproof intermittent fasting...not losing like I'd hoped/expected.

I'm 5'11", started at 248, got as low as 241, had a refeed 5 days ago, weighed 243 today - loss of 5lbs in 3 weeks.

Summary:

BP coffee for breakfast

High fat, high protein, lots of veggies for lunch - no starches or carbs, but a couple squares of Lindt 85-90%

Slightly less protein/fat for dinner, still lots of veggies, small amount of carbs (carrot, butternut squash, etc), couple squares Lindt

Been what I consider to be very strict on my intake of carbs.

Since I've only been consuming water, fish, GF beef, bacon, avocados, GF butter, other oils/fats, and green vegetables, here are the only culprits I suspect:

*dark chocolate - been having approx. 1/2 bar, spread throughout my 2pm-8pm eating window.

*nuts - only a small handful a day, if that

*carrots - usually have 1 med-large steamed carrot w dinner

*butternut squash - will have up to 1 cup or so steamed every other day or so for dinner

*water - not drinking enough?

That's it...no snacking, no eating out, no cheating, zip, zilch, nada mas.

Questions/concerns:

1. Been using Ketone urine strips throughout the day, trying to use every time I urinate - usually reads "Trace Amount - 5mg/dL" but I think I've seen it read close to "15mg/dL" before...never higher though

2. Feeling sort of "stopped up" - having daily bowel movements, but still feel like I'm retaining some weight there

3. Is there a correlation between urine color and concentration of ketones?

4. Too much salt causing water retention possibly? I use a lot of pink sea salt

5. Wanting to rev up my ketosis....what do I do?

Thanks guys.

"No part of a person's will is ever in conflict with the reality of any given moment."

3WB3rcq.jpg?1

Comments

• Sounds like too much chocolate.  Urine color usually displays how well your hydrated.  Drink small amounts of water more consistently throughout the day rather than "flooding" at any given point in time.  Your goal is to be urinating once every 3 hours and to have a slight color to it.

• What you are doing wrong is thinking you're going to lose your weight because you're doing this diet.  It is necessary but not sufficient and there are a lot of reasons why you could do a 100%BP diet for the next 6 months and not lose a pound.  

• I've been doing the BP diet (as close as possible - but definitely a Keto / Paleo hybrid) since January 27th, and weighed in at 221.  Today I weighed in at 206.  I do BP coffee every morning, and have no food until 2pm.  That's usually just a snack like almonds or something else on the green side.  I then eat dinner as close to BP as possible, and have nothing except water after 8pm.  Sometimes it's not entirely practical, but for the most part I'm on the green side.  I've maintained ketosis fairly consistently so far.  It definitely sounds like you're eating the right things, but maybe it's the sweeter veggies that are preventing you from kickstarting ketosis.  Maybe the carrots, butternut squash?  You might try cutting that out for a day or so and try a medium intensity workout of some sort to burn up any residual glycogen.

I'm certainly no expert at this as I consider myself a beginner, but I'm having fantastic results so far and have not been working out whatsoever.  I plan to implement a strict exercise schedule beginning next week (really want to sculpt my muscles).  Again, I stick as close to BP as possible, but I can't eat grass-fed beef every single time I eat meat.  I grab a few sweetened cherries here and there, goji berries, and my 3 year old daughter loves to share an occasional strawberry with me after dinner, so I can't say no to that.  I do, however, absolutely avoid refined sugar, gluten and carbohydrates.  Basically a "no-white" diet.

Hope this helps.

• What you are doing wrong is thinking you're going to lose your weight because you're doing this diet.  It is necessary but not sufficient and there are a lot of reasons why you could do a 100%BP diet for the next 6 months and not lose a pound.  

I was operating under the assumption that BIF induces ketosis, which burns body fat, which would lower weight. Elaborate please

"No part of a person's will is ever in conflict with the reality of any given moment."

3WB3rcq.jpg?1

• i think marina's advice would probably help the most. go to Jason Miller's athletic template and figure out the amount of macronutrients you need depending on your activity level and avoid going much past any of those minimums. if you aren't active, get active. don't sit down for more than 20 minutes at a time except after meals if you can help it. think about taking on some high intensity exercise if you haven't. 

• Also, Intermittent fasting should not be done every day.  Take a day off here and there.  I do it about 5 days a week myself.  You should try a salt flush once a week or so if you feel 'backed up'  I believe it's as soon as you wake up take 2tsp of pink him salt in about 4 cups of warm water.  Then have a bathroom nearby and plenty of time on your hands.  

As drummin advised check the athletic template and consider the odd protein fast day, maybe once a week to get over the sticking point.

Other points I would advise is cut out the nuts and chocolate if you are sticking or at least the nuts.  Those ketone strips are not great for accuracy, I have used them and barely ever get into the med range despite a very low carb count (by low I mean about 14 on non training days and 50 post workout).  You are not specific about the grams of carbs and such in your post so maybe if you look at this exactly it will be an eye opener.  Me, I'd cut out that carrot and squash too.  Instead carb up one meal a week.

• i think marina's advice would probably help the most. go to Jason Miller's athletic template and figure out the amount of macronutrients you need depending on your activity level and avoid going much past any of those minimums. if you aren't active, get active. don't sit down for more than 20 minutes at a time except after meals if you can help it. think about taking on some high intensity exercise if you haven't. 

-Thanks man. I think I am reaching that stage of needing to quantify more, which is definitely kind of a "duh" thing to say in this forum, but it's been a progression for me, so it seems like it's progressing naturally. But hopefully that way I can gain a better understanding so that I'll be better equipped to "wing it" more so as I progress.

I don't work out, but I would consider myself an active person - don't watch TV, always doing projects around the house/outside, and I do some pretty intensive hiking a couple times a month (supposed to go this coming Sunday, actually). Can you perhaps elaborate a touch on how activity level interacts with ketosis? I'd appreciate it. (btw, I checked out your drumming videos - NICE WORK man. I too dabble in the percussive arts hehe.)

I've been doing the BP diet (as close as possible - but definitely a Keto / Paleo hybrid) since January 27th, and weighed in at 221.  Today I weighed in at 206.  I do BP coffee every morning, and have no food until 2pm.  That's usually just a snack like almonds or something else on the green side.  I then eat dinner as close to BP as possible, and have nothing except water after 8pm.  Sometimes it's not entirely practical, but for the most part I'm on the green side.  I've maintained ketosis fairly consistently so far.  It definitely sounds like you're eating the right things, but maybe it's the sweeter veggies that are preventing you from kickstarting ketosis.  Maybe the carrots, butternut squash?  You might try cutting that out for a day or so and try a medium intensity workout of some sort to burn up any residual glycogen.

I'm certainly no expert at this as I consider myself a beginner, but I'm having fantastic results so far and have not been working out whatsoever.  I plan to implement a strict exercise schedule beginning next week (really want to sculpt my muscles).  Again, I stick as close to BP as possible, but I can't eat grass-fed beef every single time I eat meat.  I grab a few sweetened cherries here and there, goji berries, and my 3 year old daughter loves to share an occasional strawberry with me after dinner, so I can't say no to that.  I do, however, absolutely avoid refined sugar, gluten and carbohydrates.  Basically a "no-white" diet.

Hope this helps.

-Thank you so much. I love another beginner's perspective. Congrats on your progress too! I think I'm going to cut out any starches/carbs/sugars today, including the dark chocolate, and see what happens. I FEEL great, and feel as though my clothes are fitting better, etc, but I still have to pay homage to the $&&#! scales haha.  

If you're comfortable with numbers, weigh your food and track your intake. Then you have a baseline you can work with.

-Thanks! I think I'm going definitely going to weight everything today just to see if what I'm consuming, and what I think I'm consuming are close to being the same :-)

3WB3rcq.jpg?1

• lose the bp coffee, replace it with a single tbsp of either mct or coconut oil. Way too many calories in the BP coffee imo. I tend to agree with robb wolf and mark sisson on the fat loss issue. Eat protien, lots of veggies, occasional fruit and about 50-100g of carbs. Limit fat to what is naturally in the foods you eat, dont add any just because.

• Also, Intermittent fasting should not be done every day.  Take a day off here and there.  I do it about 5 days a week myself.  You should try a salt flush once a week or so if you feel 'backed up'  I believe it's as soon as you wake up take 2tsp of pink him salt in about 4 cups of warm water.  Then have a bathroom nearby and plenty of time on your hands.  

As drummin advised check the athletic template and consider the odd protein fast day, maybe once a week to get over the sticking point.

Other points I would advise is cut out the nuts and chocolate if you are sticking or at least the nuts.  Those ketone strips are not great for accuracy, I have used them and barely ever get into the med range despite a very low carb count (by low I mean about 14 on non training days and 50 post workout).  You are not specific about the grams of carbs and such in your post so maybe if you look at this exactly it will be an eye opener.  Me, I'd cut out that carrot and squash too.  Instead carb up one meal a week.

-Thanks so much for your advice. I'm going to do only protein/fat/green veggies today and see what happens. I'm also going to do a salt flush today (since I'm snowed in haha). I'm planning on going hiking Sunday morning, so I was planning on doing a carb refeed on Saturday. Does that logic make sense?

3WB3rcq.jpg?1

• edited February 2014

lose the bp coffee, replace it with a single tbsp of either mct or coconut oil. Way too many calories in the BP coffee imo. I tend to agree with robb wolf and mark sisson on the fat loss issue. Eat protien, lots of veggies, occasional fruit and about 50-100g of carbs. Limit fat to what is naturally in the foods you eat, dont add any just because.

-Got to say, that's an interesting take in contrast to the majority of advice on the site :wink:. I'm not opposed to investigating multiple approaches though, so I'll put this one in the chamber. Thanks!

EDIT: Just had a thought - you look like a fairly svelte individual, I have a considerable amount of body fat to lose/burn, so would that be a consideration regarding sources of supplemental fat intake?

3WB3rcq.jpg?1

• -Thanks man. I think I am reaching that stage of needing to quantify more, which is definitely kind of a "duh" thing to say in this forum, but it's been a progression for me, so it seems like it's progressing naturally. But hopefully that way I can gain a better understanding so that I'll be better equipped to "wing it" more so as I progress.

I don't work out, but I would consider myself an active person - don't watch TV, always doing projects around the house/outside, and I do some pretty intensive hiking a couple times a month (supposed to go this coming Sunday, actually). Can you perhaps elaborate a touch on how activity level interacts with ketosis? I'd appreciate it. (btw, I checked out your drumming videos - NICE WORK man. I too dabble in the percussive arts hehe.)

I had a pretty similar beginning with BP. At first it was about figuring out the optimal foods and when/how to make them. Then you gotta dial in the quantities. I think that point gets lost a little when everyone's like "yeah eat as many calories as you can and you'll lose weight!". maybe that works for some people but not for me so much. I think there's too much conflicting info out there to really say how much time anyone should spend in ketosis, and that will take some experimenting on your part. Personally I avoid eating carbs (aside from a couple squares of chocolate and a bunch of green veggies) either until the evening or post workout.

Thanks for the drumming compliment! glad you enjoyed the videos. 

• I was operating under the assumption that BIF induces ketosis, which burns body fat, which would lower weight. Elaborate please

You are ignoring a multitude of reasons why weight loss might be inhibited, you should read about insulin, leptin and cortisol.  Best of luck - if cutting the chocolate in half stimulates you next 10 lb loss, more power to you.  A lot of people quit this diet and lifestyle because they aren't losing weight - and they have faulty expectation about what role diet alone should have towards weight loss - health (including reaching and maintaining a healthy weight) is a lot more complicated than just producing ketones.

• Saturday is a good day for a carb up meal.  All I can say about that is make sure you enjoy it.  I like having something wonderful on a bed of rice or rice noodles.  It's terribly disappointing when your carb up meal is at a restaurant and the food is lousy.

• my latest routine is to prep a super badass sweet potato dessert, go teach my kids capoeira class, stop at the gym for a quick 15 minute BBS workout, have a quick protein drink, then put said dessert in the oven, then eat the hell out of that thing. just doing that, then sticking to my macros more or less has had me feeling better than usual. also, i've started using the bar in my kitchen as my computer desk so i can spend most of the day standing. supposedly just the act of sitting has a huge impact on our bodies that is not good. Chris Kresser talks about it in Personal Paleo Code. 

oh, and another small thing that i implemented recently after reading BBS is drinking ice water all day. supposedly just drinking ice cold water revs up your metabolism a bit because your body has to do that much more work to keep you warm. stay cool and keep movin!

• I believing that teaching your body to burn fat is a good thing, however once you do you need to cut off the intake fat supply, and force it to burn fat stores. If you are fat,, but eat tons of fat, your body will continue to burn the ingested fat instead of the stored fat.