Carbs? Fruit? Intermittent Fasting? With Exercise.

zonk117zonk117
edited February 2014 in Physical Performance

I am fairly new to the Bulletproof diet, but I had been doing Paleo (not completely faithful) for about a year before I started bulletproof. So far, I love the diet because of its structure, and proof to back it up.  I am a little unsure of how my body works exactly, and I want some suggestions of how to be more bulletproof while being an athlete. In most cases, I have trusted Dave without question (I hope this doesn't come back to bite me). I can't find a blog, podcast, or video where Dave talks about being a bulletproof athlete, and I would greatly appreciate some advice. I have purchased many of his products, supplements, and tech from bulletproof.com, so if you think I should be using certain extras, there is a good chance I have it already. I need as much help as I can get, and I love feedback with reasoning, science, or evidence behind it. From my research, I seem to get the understanding that too many carbs and fruit are not bulletproof (except for maybe one a day) on the recommended intermittent fasting plan. With that said, athletes should be eating more carbs than what is suggested, correct? Okay, so heres what I do: Once a week, I workout following the "Body by Science" exercises that Dave endorses on his blog (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-body/). I have been doing this for only 3 weeks now, so my results are minimal, but I think I see some positive formation with my overall body, though this formation could be caused more from the diet than the exercise. Also, I play basketball for my university. We practice or have a game about 5 times a week. So a lot of jumping, running, shooting, bending over, ect. Based on this information, here are my questions:

1. Is following Intermittent fasting exactly the best option of athletes like me?

2. How many Carbs should I be eating?

3. How many fruits should I be eating?

4. Should I change the ratios that Dave recommends on bulletproof intermittent fasting?

5. For the past week, I have stayed the same weight, but my body still seems to be changing in a positive way. Is this good?

(I follow the diet to the best of my ability, if there is anything I do wrong, it is: I use a microwave about once a day for one day old leftovers, I might not get the exact ratios right on the protein, oils and fats, and veggies, I do probably not consume over 3000 calories a day (Because I am not that hungry), I might eat two to three servings of carbs or fruit a day instead of just one, and I haven't always used bulletproof organic low toxic coffee - instead I have just been using some organic coffee from Whole Foods, a local roaster, or fresh market - I have no idea how the local roaster or fresh market does anyone of their roasting, what beans they use, or whatever, but I do know the whole food beans are roasted in a high atmosphere which I believe Dave's beans are too."

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

Comments

• Hi, 

In a nutshell, the Bulletproof diet in it's pure form is pretty rubbish for athletes. It just isn't possible to sustain frequent high heart rate exercise without a regular intake of carbohydrate. Pure BP living advocates only a very small amount of exercise and for very short periods of time. You will find info from Dave on that. 

As far as combining BP with being an athlete there is really only one thread you need to read - 

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2156-bulletproofing-the-athlete-a-fully-customizable-template-for-tracking-and-changing-food-intake-based-on-changing-goals/

Everything you need to know is there. All the answers to your questions should be there too. If not, post a question in that thread for the original poster (he really knows his stuff and is very helpful) 

Some quick asnwers for you to be going on with based on my experience, which isn't that far from where you are now. 

1. Is following Intermittent fasting exactly the best option of athletes like me?

I'd only do this if you want to loose body fat, otherwise I found it got in the way of performance. Try it yourself and see how it worksfor you though. 

2. How many Carbs should I be eating?

See the post I linked to above 

3. How many fruits should I be eating?

Stick to no more than one portion of the right kind per day eaten in the evening. Again, test this on yourself if you need to. 

4. Should I change the ratios that Dave recommends on bulletproof intermittent fasting?

Again, the answer to this is in that link

5. For the past week, I have stayed the same weight, but my body still seems to be changing in a positive way. Is this good?

If you've just started BP and are sticking to the principles you will feel benefit as you purge toxins etc. I experienced a similar thing. However, after about 3 weeks - during which time I was loosing weight - I hit a problem. Because I was not eating enough carbs to fuel my training and competing my weight change was due to fat and muscle loss! Not just fat. My training and performance suffered a lot too. You will have to play about with your macros to find your sweet spot. And don't be surprised if you need way more carbs than you think for a low carb diet. The trick is to get those carbs from BP foods and not from sugar filled junk. 

I have found that maltodextrin and dextrose combined in a 2:1 ratio is the best "exercise fuel" and a 1:1 ratio combined with a good whey protein blended with full fat milk is a good post exercise drink. 

hope that helps. 

cheers

Henry