Why Is Pork Higher Than Poultry On The Infographic?

Hey, simple question: Why Is Pork Higher Than poultry on the infographic?

I've done a fair amount of looking around, and found some mixed information. Paul Jaminet http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2012/02/pork-did-leviticus-117-have-it-right/ and dr mercola. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/01/pork-consumption-prohibitions.aspx have both made their cases against pork. Also, other than the PUFA, why is chicken so bad?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Comments

• I have been wondering about the same thing.
  • I don't eat pork for heath and religous purposes. But if this article does not convince you to avoid pork then I don't know what will.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/07/12/are-there-deadly-superbugs-in-your-pork.aspx
  • That is why you buy pork from places that do not use antibiotics, pigs that are fed antibiotics develop bad bugs, pigs raised naturally, pastured without antibiotics have normal bugs which do not make it to the food unless the farm is VERY dirty (highly unlikely.) I might be providing misinformation and I hope I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but this is what made sense to me and what I have found from research.

I eat pork and boar (medium rare boar), I eat them both for health and religious reasons.
  • 'John wrote:

I eat pork and boar (medium rare boar), I eat them both for health and religious reasons.

This has to be quote of the day! Right, I'm off to have a look at the pork joint in the oven...
  • I think it's more to do with cooking.

Cooking chicken needs to be 100% well done. Which means its natural "good fats" (poly-unsaturates) get corrupted by the intense heat and become bad fats/free radicals.

Pork's saturated fats are tougher to break down by the heat.

That was my understanding of it all anyway. Hence why the beef in the whole BP system is spoke of so highly, because you can have it rare, with minimal heat exposure.

Please correct me if I'm wrong of course!

• This has to be quote of the day! Right, I'm off to have a look at the pork joint in the oven...

Haha, thank you.
  • edited October 2012
    'John wrote:

Was this really necessary? How are you contributing to the community by mocking me and my beliefs? You truly don't belong here with your childish ways. I did not force my religious beliefs on any one here. I simply shared a non religious article from a reliable source that gave you scientific reasons to avoid pork.

Also from your comment I can tell you didn't read the article.

"What About Pasture-Raised Pork?

In a slightly ironic twist, I can’t even safely recommend consuming pasture-raised pork, because while researching this article I stumbled across a study in the current issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases citing concerns about pastured pigs being vulnerable to Trichinella spiralis infection, due to their exposure to wild hosts that carry the disease.

Pasture-raised pig farming has expanded with increased demand from health conscious consumers, and currently there are 28 U.S. farms located within 50 kilometers of a previously infected site.

If for whatever reason you still want to continue buying pasture-raised pork, I’d advise you to at least take a look at the CDC map, which details areas where outbreaks have occurred, to avoid purchasing meat from a potentially unsafe location.

Other than that, I would simply recommend you avoid pork altogether, even organic pasture-raised versions." Dr.Mercola
  • I'm not mocking you or your beliefs, I liked the impact your statement made regarding the health and religiosity of the thing, so I decided to present an opposing opinion in a similar way, being that I come from a jewish family I did not try pork until my late teens, eating bacon is a wonderful experience and I am happy to call it part of any religion I may have and not know about.

I don't think I misstated my stance nor did I have any intent to mock you or your beliefs, I did not attack you for stating your beliefs and I would hope to be granted the same respect.

That being said, the outbreaks of Trichinella happen very sparingly and have been declining in recent years, so let's not take that out of context, it's a small concern, especially if you don't under cook your pig.

Cheers.