Getting By On Less Sleep?

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in Sleep Hacking

I haven't been getting enough sleep, guys. I average about five hours of sleep a day. A half hour more if I'm lucky. I work 16-hour shifts at work 3-4 days a week, from 3 PM-7 AM. This brutal schedule has left me feeling absolutely awful. I've caught the sniffles and I can literally feel my health diminishing. It's hard to quantify, but I don't feel good. At. All. I find Dave's work on sleep hacking to be inspiring, however it's rather clear to me that I'm not yet healthy enough to get by on this little sleep. At least, not multiple days a week.

I know this isn't healthy, but unfortunately, I haven't really got a choice but to keep this schedule for a while longer yet. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage caused by this schedule? Anything I can do (other than sleep) to make up for the lack of sleep? I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I"m making sure to take my supplements, have been taking my daily Vit C to help with the sniffles, but I still feel like shit.

I'm kind of in a bad place right now and would love it if anyone has some suggestions.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• Don't have any advice for you, but sorry to hear about your lack of sleep. Vitamin C and D to help your immune system. And eating as healthy/BP as possible. Hope it gets better for you soon.

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    Hmmm, do you meditate? 1 hour of meditation can equal 2 hours of sleep, apparently. Also, physical activity like BBS requires more sleep than normal so lay off that if you're doing it.

Is there anywhere to nap during the day?
  • I've found getting sleep on 1.5 hour intervals (90 min cycles) can be useful. Therefore 6 hours of sleep is better than 7 sometimes. 

Also try supplementing with some stuff. GABA inhibitors (lemon balm) serotonin enhancers (5-HTP / Tryptophan)

• I haven't been getting enough sleep, guys. I average about five hours of sleep a day. A half hour more if I'm lucky. I work 16-hour shifts at work 3-4 days a week, from 3 PM-7 AM. This brutal schedule has left me feeling absolutely awful. I've caught the sniffles and I can literally feel my health diminishing. It's hard to quantify, but I don't feel good. At. All. I find Dave's work on sleep hacking to be inspiring, however it's rather clear to me that I'm not yet healthy enough to get by on this little sleep. At least, not multiple days a week.

I know this isn't healthy, but unfortunately, I haven't really got a choice but to keep this schedule for a while longer yet. Is there anything I can do to mitigate the damage caused by this schedule? Anything I can do (other than sleep) to make up for the lack of sleep? I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I"m making sure to take my supplements, have been taking my daily Vit C to help with the sniffles, but I still feel like shit.

I'm kind of in a bad place right now and would love it if anyone has some suggestions.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How much Vit C are you taking? From what I have read the bodies requirement for Vit C increases exponentially when under stress. In your case continued inadequate sleep (continued low level stress), a cold, and long shifts are all putting a combined high stress level on your body.

During periods like this the body can accept and use doses of upto 50g per day.  Personally I would build up and test. That is start at 15-20g spreads through out the day, and then build up. After 7-10 days cycle down and see how you feel.

Here's a good podcast about Vit C.

http://www.ameerrosic.com/how-vitamin-c-can-help-you-live-a-better-life/

• I discovered this website years ago, and it did seem to work for me when I needed it:

http://sleepyti.me

• Dude, 16h shifts is really really hard! And I suffered from sleep deprivation not so long ago. Worst of all for me!

You could work on different aspects to minimize stress on your body. Short list.

Nutrition

• follow BP diet, Fat in order to be Butter>MCT>O3, don't forget carbs. minimizes risks to mess up with my insulin
    • go for spring water, will help you to avoid chemicals and heavy metals contained in tap or mineral water.
    • Try to not drink 3h prior to go to bed so you don't have to wake up to pee at night ;)
    • cut things that trigger your CNS 12h prior your sleeping time (stimulants / alkaloids such as caffein, thein, theobromine from cacao)
    • cut things that trigger your insuline. Insulin should be stabilized 2h mini so body can release melatonin. I do prefer high GI carbs. they create a high and short insuline spike,
    • Go for cold processed isolate whey from grass-fed cows throughout the day, amount and timing to be find by yourself. Most powerfull anti-oxydant you can ingest.
    • Try to find the right number of calories to ingest per day. Better too be on the low side than on the high side. On the high side, your body will burn extra calories through thermogenesis during your sleep, your body will warm up and it will mess your sleep.

Environment

• Put on orange glasses (blocking blue light glasses) as soon as you finish your shift. Your body will start producing melatonin 3-4h after you're in the dark / out of the blue. Do not put them on if you feel sleepy and have to drive, you don't want to fall asleep while you drive)
    • Avoid watching TV prior to bed, even with glasses on. The number of people you see prevent you from sleeping - NASA studies.
    • Sleep in a room as dark as possible. you could put dark sheets of plastic on windows, doors, etc., cut down lights (alarms, leds,etc.. Avoid eyes max, they keep your eyes warm whereas they should cool down as you sleep
    • If noise is a concern, use hear plug

Meditation

• 10-15min of controlled breathing, clearing your mind of all concerns, prior sleeping to relax mind and body so to have quality sleep

Training if you do some

• Go for resistance training, 20-30min max.
    • no cross fit, aerobics
    • good protocol is SHOCKWAVE from DH Kiefer.

All the best to you!