Ask Dave Anything! Questions To Be Answered On Future Podcasts

Comments

• Eat more. Seriously. Your body can ONLY build muscle / gain weight if you have a surplus of fuel. So... eat more, and lift.

Modifying the Bulletproof diet for those who are skinny and want to gain weight, instead of losing. Which principles and recommendations have to be changed then?

For example what about ketosis then, should one try to stay out of ketosis, or it doesn't matter?

Intermittent fasting?

Anything else that should be different in relation to those who are not underweight?

• What do you recommend for b complex vitamins.

• Hey Dave, just wanted to say thank you for your amazing work on enriching people's lives.

My question: Tracking my vitamins and minerals I've found it especially hard to get my RDV of phosphorus, magnesium, calcium and manganese being on the Bulletproof diet. However I discovered that if I incorporated sesame, pumpkin and sunflower seeds into the diet I wouldn't be deficient in those minerals anymore. What is your take on this, can I stay bulletproof with these seeds (organic, sprouted)?

the system around you is not necessarily aligned with your incentives in mind

memento mori

• Redwood: for manganese try incorporating more macadamia nuts, raspberries, strawberries, wild blueberries (just half a cup of wild blueberries will give you 100% RDA of manganese).

Magnesium you just have to supplement.

Calcium RDA is inflated, if you get decent vitamin D you don't need 1000 mg calcium a day, 500 mg is plenty, and I find it easy to get with just a decent amount of random vegetables.

How come you can't get enough phosphorus with just meat and fish? There is plenty from meat and fish, I get an average of 1535 mg of phosphorus per day not doing anything special, mostly from meat and fish, and the RDA is 700 mg I think. I eat about 120 grams protein a day from meat and fish.

• Redwood: for manganese try incorporating more macadamia nuts, raspberries, strawberries, wild blueberries (just half a cup of wild blueberries will give you 100% RDA of manganese).

Magnesium you just have to supplement.

Calcium RDA is inflated, if you get decent vitamin D you don't need 1000 mg calcium a day, 500 mg is plenty, and I find it easy to get with just a decent amount of random vegetables.

How come you can't get enough phosphorus with just meat and fish? There is plenty from meat and fish, I get an average of 1535 mg of phosphorus per day not doing anything special, mostly from meat and fish, and the RDA is 700 mg I think. I eat about 120 grams protein a day from meat and fish.

Cool! Thanks for your comment. I dreaded that I'd have to supplement magnesium, but I guess I better go ahead and do it. I would've just liked it if I could've had a food that takes care of it.

I didn't know about the inflation of calcium's RDA. I'll look into that, thanks. And I think you're right. I must've read my values wrong - I just rechecked them and phosphorus isn't something I'm deficient in. I must've mixed something up here. Thank you again.

the system around you is not necessarily aligned with your incentives in mind

memento mori

• Supplementation:  What when and how much, what competes with what, what must not be mixed, etc..  What is the best way to supplement?

• Supplementation:  What when and how much, what competes with what, what must not be mixed, etc..  What is the best way to supplement?

Athletes vs. weight loss vs. normal etc...

• Dave, any thoughts on "grounding" or earthing? When I get home from work I love to kick off my shoes and walk around barefoot in my back yard. It seems to help me distress. Are there any benefits to this, or is it just psychological.
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/earthing/

Dave, any thoughts on "grounding" or earthing? When I get home from work I love to kick off my shoes and walk around barefoot in my back yard. It seems to help me distress. Are there any benefits to this, or is it just psychological.

• Dave, what exactly is the desired outcome of using an emWave2?

I am using mine for about a month now, and I get to high coherence at the "High" difficultly setting when I concentrate on slow and very focused breathing.

As soon as I stop consciously controlling my breath and relax at the end of a session, I am in low coherence again.

This even happens at the lowest difficulty setting.

Is this normal with advanced HRV Trained people like you, or is the goal of the training to be in a state of high coherence even without breathing consciously?

I would love your thoughts on this. Thank you so much for your brilliant work- it has helped me and my family a lot!

• What is grass fed salmon?

It's all relative.

• 2 questions

1. have you experienced nipple puffiness or enlargement due to taking the upgraded collagen? my friend with flat nipples basically had them explode. it looks odd to say the least. My nipples seemed to have some growth after taking the collagen. Just haven't heard much when looking it up.

2. Are you considering changing the brain octane bottle? I lose so much when pouring because the rounded edge causes the liquid to flow down the bottle. it would be great if there was a more controlled spout. If so much care went into the control and precision of dispensing of the glutithione the same could be made for the oil.

thanks

• hi Dave (and BP team),

My mum, who is 65, is having a third hip replacement operation next month, she's had each hip replaced once before and unfortunately has to have yet another replacement to one side! Is there anything you can suggest to help her with a speedy recovery,

Many thanks,

Joe, London,uk.
  • I loved the podcast with Jay Schroeder. The idea of increasing mental bandwidth, reaction times and cognition by enhancing the nervous system with rapid electrical stimulation is fascinating. I would love to hear if Dave or any of the Bulletproof Team have been using the RX100 or POV device for this purpose and, if so with what results. This topic is definitely worthy of a follow up podcast.
  • Balancing Hormones for Women.

I have been IF'ing for a while and do the bulletproof IF.  I lost 40lbs in 3 years doing this, about 20lbs per year.  Recently I tried the 2tbs of collagen after hearing all your podcasts about how women shouldn't IF and it made me hungier so I stopped that.  The problem is, my periods use to be 28 days on the money.  But since I've started IFing regularly, it is now 25 days or earlier.  I read that hormone balances between estrogen and progesterone effect the days in between.  

What is the optimal hormone levels for women.  What should we be balancing?  What is a good hormone level for women and how do we best achieve it.  I want my 28 day cycle back!

Thanks.

• What are some practical tips for a college student with a dorm room with a very large window to limit light exposure at night? 

What are some practical tips for a college student to set up the red LEDs so the light covers as much of your body as possible? How do I set them up, what do I buy, do I duct tape the lights to wall? How do I not start a fire by accident? Won't I look crazy to my neighbors with all these windows light blocking things and duct tape and LED's? 

• Hello,

I'm curious about potential dangers and coping strategies for people who work in very tall buildings.  Spending 8+ hours a day above 50 stories seems to invite exposure to all sorts of radiation and EMF consequences.  

• I would love to hear a bit about dental health, bulletproofing my dental health so to speak. Before going on the Bulletproof diet I had migraines due to tooth pain and increasing gingivitis. The migraines have stopped but I would like to know what I can do to directly improve my gum health.

Thanks! 

Jake 

• I posted this here: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/11755-can-racetams-cause-neurodegeneration/

But I think this could be important enough to warrent asking Dave.  I'll paste the same post here for your reading enjoyment:

I'm just speculating here, and I'll say upfront that I don't get chemistry or biology.  I'm looking for someone else to give some feedback here.  If you look at how Ampakines work, they "bind to particular receptors in the brain" and "boost the activity of glutamate".  This sounds great, but Excitotoxicity is when these receptors are over stimulated, and causes neurodegeneration.

Is there a risk that the racetams can cause this?

How Ampakines work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampakine#Mechanism

Mechanism

Their action is theorized to be due to facilitation of transmission at cortical synapses that use glutamate as neurotransmitter.[2] This in turn may promote plasticity at the synapse, which could translate into better cognitive performance.[citation needed]

Ampakines work by allosterically binding to particular receptors in the brain, called AMPA-type glutamate receptors. This boosts the activity of glutamate, a neurotransmitter, and makes it easier to encode memory and to learn. In addition, some members of the Ampakine family of drugs may also increase levels of trophic factors such as Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).

According to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutamate_receptor#Excitotoxicity

Excitotoxicity

Overstimulation of glutamate receptors causes neurodegeneration and neuronal damage through a process called excitotoxicity. Excessive glutamate, or excitotoxins acting on the same glutamate receptors, overactivate glutamate receptors (specifically NMDARs), causing high levels of calcium ions (Ca2+) to influx into the postsynaptic cell.[34]

• Dave,

I have a philosophical question...

We can optimise the performance of a car's engine. We know all the components, and how they fit together. Furthermore, we can optimise across model ranges i.e. each Fiat 500 of a particular vintage will behave almost identically to every other. So we can accurately predict what the car is capable of, and when it will fail.

The human body is fundamentally different to a car's engine. Each human body is unique, controlled by a brain that is also unique. Our bodies are more like economies than mechanical engines. They are vast and complex, and the underlying components are not always visible, or understood, to those in charge.

For decades economic policy makers thought they had learned to optimise economic performance. They called it the Great Moderation. What they didn't realise was that over this period, the economic gunpowder was building. The US housing bubble bursting in 2008 was the spark that set off a catastrophic economic explosion. The policy makers’ mistake was to think that they could optimise a complex system that they didn't fully understand.

I'm not suggesting that there is anything negligent in your approach. I am one of many that have benefited from your work, and I will continue to do so in future. But I wonder whether you are concerned that some of the more radical treatments and supplements that you use may be creating problems that will only be apparent years or decades from now? How do you protect yourself from making such a mistake?

Cheers,

D

"Either work hard or you might as well quit."

Stanley Kirk Burrell aka MC Hammer

• You're podcast with Steven Kotler on flow states made me wonder if video games, specifically first person shooters like Battlefield 4, could be considered an action sport? I've found that I've achieved states of flow while gaming and believe that these states are more observable and quantifiable while gaming because everything in the game is point based and the gamer knows what actions are worth what, and points acquired are visible at the end of each match along with other useful statistics about the round, and thus because of this it's lead me to believe that this state of flow can be practiced very effectively with an action that provides continuous feedback such as video games. Additionally, do you play video games yourself, and do you think virtual simulators will evolve into systems that sync directly to the brain or, do you think that its already happened?       

Anyways, your podcast is awesome as well as your coffee and both have been very helpful in increasing my overall appreciation and love for life and existence and for this I thank you.

• Do you think it would be possible to grow enough lichen to feed milk cows or yaks so as to achieve the nutritional benefits of local brew Himalayan Yak Butter Tea? I think with artificially controlled environments it should be possible to do so and there's probably a science behind which lichens are best and at which ratio. I'd like to hear your' thoughts about it and am studying to become an architect so if you ever need facilities designed for a project like this I'd love to design something for you.    

• Okay, Dave... you always say you should sleep with NO light... the room should be BLACK. But your recent podcast with LEED-guy reminds me of a problem I ran into when I tried to find a blackout liner fabric for my cotton curtains... they all are VOC. 

What do you use to blackout your room? 

If I use polyester liners in my curtains (12 feet from my head) will that be a minor price to pay in light of the improved sleep you get in a fully blacked-out room?

• Okay, Dave... you always say you should sleep with NO light... the room should be BLACK. But your recent podcast with LEED-guy reminds me of a problem I ran into when I tried to find a blackout liner fabric for my cotton curtains... they all are VOC. 

What do you use to blackout your room? 

If I use polyester liners in my curtains (12 feet from my head) will that be a minor price to pay in light of the improved sleep you get in a fully blacked-out room?

AND....

If you are using Blackout curtains aren't you not waking up with the sun like our ancestors did or our circadian rhythms want us to? {ANYONE CAN ANSWER THIS FOR ME}

• edited July 2014

Please address more about women and intermittent fasting.  Unlike Sunshine, bulletproof intermittent fasting (without collagen) didn't work for me.  I wasn't hungry but not energetic and just didn't feel good without adding the collagen.  How does bulletproof IF work if you need to work out in the morning and need some carbs afterward?  

Also, please address adrenal fatigue and how it affects bulletproof intermittent fasting.  Lastly, if you could address any tips on dealing with long work shifts, night shifts (which have been horrible for my health but I need to do them right now).  Thanks!

Balancing Hormones for Women.

I have been IF'ing for a while and do the bulletproof IF.  I lost 40lbs in 3 years doing this, about 20lbs per year.  Recently I tried the 2tbs of collagen after hearing all your podcasts about how women shouldn't IF and it made me hungier so I stopped that.  The problem is, my periods use to be 28 days on the money.  But since I've started IFing regularly, it is now 25 days or earlier.  I read that hormone balances between estrogen and progesterone effect the days in between.  

What is the optimal hormone levels for women.  What should we be balancing?  What is a good hormone level for women and how do we best achieve it.  I want my 28 day cycle back!

Thanks.

• Could we start a book club?

• edited August 2014

Can you create Bulletproof Toothpaste, with Upgraded Coconut Charcoal, Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Baking Soda, and some other ingredients, (depending on the flavor), to the list of Bulletproof products? I've used the Coconut Charcoal as toothpaste and feel as though it's what our ancestors did long ago to clean their teeth. The colors perfect because I can see where it still is on my teeth to remove it fully and it has removed plaque very effectively and was very easy to rinse from my mouth as well and left it feeling fresh. I haven't tried the ingredients listed prior, but will soon as possible to see if there's any additional benefits. It would be interesting to see the toothpastes effectiveness scientifically tested and proven for whatever benefits are, though the forum would be an excellent way of quantifying data from different sources with variables and input, because n=1.

Post Edit 8/3/14

Ingredients of Charcoal, Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, and Baking Soda are terrible and shouldn't be tried.

Plain Activated Charcoal seems to work the best, only downside is prying it from the capsule every time; better would be chewable tabs specifically for toothbrushing purposes. Maybe this could be achieved by using honey as a binder, or tabs could be created much the same way chewable vitamins are, and chewed before teeth brushing?

• Is there a connection between mouth bacteria and cognitive function? I've noticed that I feel especially sharp after a carbon brushing; it lasts for about an hour, which after I can feel a slight diminish in mental function. The shift in clarity could be from a number of things, but I'd suspect it has something to do with the carbon cleansing the bacteria present within my mouth and/or the mercury toxicity from my numerous mercury based metal amalgam fillings being alleviated for a short duration of time. In either case I know that there's a positive correlation associated with it.

I'm also wondering if we're carbon deficient? Maybe we're supposed to consume carbon as we would any essential element to function correctly, and maybe there're different biological and cognitive affects from consuming different types of carbon from different sources? I'd like to know your thoughts on this and if you know of any studies that look into the matter as well as what you think the proper dosage of carbon would be based upon your experience with your' Upgraded Coconut Charcoal? Maybe it's why charcoal grilling tastes, and smells better than more conventional cooking methods, because the body knows and needs the carbon element in order to function at its most optimum state of being?

• Many questions regarding ammonia smelling sweat.

I am new to your Bulletproof scene and have put in my first order today, so please forgive me if I am not current on all your facts...yet.

I have been doing Bikram Yoga now for 2 months. The last 2 weeks there has been a strong ammonia smell coming out in my sweat. Everything I have read points to a high protein diet. Is this true? Unfortunately, all these websites where I got this information says to add more carbohydrates for energy to the diet. I have increased some carbs, but I know that our bodies need good fat for increased energy. For the last 7 years I have been consuming only grassfed beef, raw milk and cream, coconut oil and water.....

Further reading led me to zinc as an essential component to an enzyme that breaks down ammonia. The last two days I have been supplementing with a zinc gluconate lozenge (does not contain citric acid as I know that inhibits the absorption), with no apparent results. Perhaps a longer trial is necessary.

This has not yet been investigated personally, but I will ask away; can it be a parasite issue?

Lastly, is it a liver or kidney issue?

Any information regarding this would be welcomed.

Thank you.