1 Hour Of Meditation = 2 Hours Of Sleep

SystemSystem mod
edited February 2014 in Sleep Hacking

In BPR episode #99, featuring Ari Meisel, Dave said that he meditates for an hour because it translates to two hours of sleep.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you experimented with it?

On average, I get about 4 hours of sleep per night, so I might start meditating every morning for an hour before school.

Tagged:

Comments

• GarrettGarrett
    edited February 2014

My recommendation - if you're new to meditating, start off at 5-20 mins, and work your way up. I've been meditating fairly frequently for a number of months, and I usually can't go for an hour. 

Make your choice if you want to do so or not, but just from what a LOT of people have shown with 'adding in new habits', you want to start off small, otherwise your brain will reject the habit (if it is too challenging too quickly). And 1 hour of meditation, right off the bat, might be a bit challenging ;)

Btw, I noticed the thread tags. Cute :P

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014

What thread tags? I see "meditation" and "sleep".

The terrible thing with me is that I fall asleep after 15 minutes. :oops:

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• @Reka: you should posture yourself so that sleep becomes not possible, straight spine, not using backrest, etc.

• Reka: And raise your hips above your knees, such as sitting on a pillow. If you're sitting in lotus, it's a LOT less likely that you'll fall asleep, since you'll have proper breath flow through your body. Belly breathe, as well. :) Sleep often comes from a lack of oxygen.

Also, it's best to choose times when you're more awake for meditation, times when you're not tired. Post exercise / a bit after digestion, or immediately upon awakening (after drinking your morning salt water). 

As for the thread tags.... Zeke had some funny tags for the thread :) Inside joke, at this point. But they made me chuckle :D

Zeke - http://www.slideshare.net/sahilwhiteday/power-of-less-by-leo-babauta# might be a great book to read, especially with regards to starting a new habit. Starting small :)

• So the 15 mins of emWave that I do before bed and upon waking up is giving me an extra hour of sleep?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

That depends - is using the emwave the same as meditation?

• SystemSystem mod
    edited February 2014

I don't know if using the emWave counts as meditation, to be honest. It would be cool if it did, though, because I've been using it for about an hour a day for the past couple of weeks.

So the 15 mins of emWave that I do before bed and upon waking up is giving me an extra hour of sleep?

• edited February 2014

Is this assuming that people use Modafinil or other stimulants while meditating?

I was able to sustain an hour of meditation per day for quite a while. I then proceeded to do 2-4 hours, sometimes up to 5 or 6 a day for a few months. It didn't matter what I tried, if I did not get enough sleep, even 1 hour less, I would fall asleep, or nod off, or be in that state right before you fall asleep where you start "hallucinating" or having visions. Nowadays, I don't have sufficient time to do a full hour most days, but I still do some every day.

On the other hand, meditation masters who meditate 24 hours a day actually need less sleep. Some of them just sit in sustained meditation, close their eyes when they sleep while sitting up for 4 hours, then open their eyes and continue the meditation.

In retreats, when meditating 6-9 hours or up to 12 hours per day, less sleep is needed.

But, personally, I couldn't sustain the enormously demanding schedule I have while getting less sleep every night, and then on top of that trying to stay awake meditating for an hour after waking from sleep deprivation. Its just too much, too much.

Anyhow, meditating 1 hour or more per day is POWERFUL STUFF. I really can't put it into words how different I experience reality when I keep up that momentum day after day. But definitely don't try to do 1 hour if just starting out, because you most likely won't be able to do it and it will discourage you from ever trying to sustain a daily, or at least consistent, practice. Start at 5 minutes per day, or even 1 minute, or if your mind is really chaotic, do pushups - 1 breath at a time, then a few breaths, etc. I think the most important part is ossifiying the daily habit - the momentum it creates is almost more important than the individual meditation session.

It's all relative.

• ^ The daily habit really makes a difference. I notice huge changes in my mood if I don't meditate. 

• What exactly does dave mean by meditation? What techniques is one suppose to use? Is it like using the emwave, just clearing your mind of everything and focusing on the stillness?

• hybridhybrid Cateye vs Isolation

You can get a lot of the benefits of meditation through the emwave, and some of them you can achieve them even faster than with regular meditation.

Classical meditation has other benefits the emwave dosen't. As a biohacker if you don't see meditaiton as your path a few emwave session will get you a lot of the stress reducing benefits of meditation without the hassle and the time. With time using the emwave you might start getting atracted more and more to meditation or possibly to some yoga too.

That depends - is using the emwave the same as meditation?

• There are literally hundreds and hundreds of techniques of meditation. The reason is because of the variation in human circumstances... what meditation works for one person may or may not work for another person. I see the emwave and neurofeedback as just more versions of meditation to add to the toolkit. But I'm very skeptical when someone says a particular meditation is "better" than another. What does that even mean? Different meditations have different purposes. I say find what works for you - explore the options. When I started, I tried many, many different kinds (lost count) before I found the best one that works for me....

What exactly does dave mean by meditation? What techniques is one suppose to use? Is it like using the emwave, just clearing your mind of everything and focusing on the stillness?

It's all relative.

• I have been mediating for years! Something that helps me is to write all the random shit that's in my head, you know all the stuff we need to get done for the day. Julia Cameron, "The Artist Way" is were I got the idea. 5 mins. of writing, some days 5 pages. Don't reread it. Then my mind is quiet for me to mediate. Also, when I first started practicing mediation, before I had a cell phone, I set a egg timer for 5 mins. gradually increasing. Today I can mediate for an hour or more. I love how it centers me!
  • So he actually said that 1 hr of meditation replaced 2 hrs of sleep.  It was a good trade off.  I don't think he meant 1 hr meditation = 2 hrs of sleep.

I know in my experience, meditation does not replace sleep.  I meditate 30 minutes every day and still get 8 hrs of sleep.  A lot of things go on (repair, trash removal, etc...) in sleep that do not occur in meditation.

• Just gonna throw out there that 1 hour of time in a float tank IS equal to 4 hours of sleep (even though one does want to have both... a 1 hour float in mid-day is extremely rejuvenating) :)