Sushi Rice Without Sugar?

How do you all make sushi without sugar? I know you can sub ACV for rice vinegar but I'm not sure what I could add other than sugar that would make the rice stick together. Honey?

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    I don't think you use sugar in sushi rice, it's just a very starchy short grain rice.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • I just use rice vinegar, and because I usually eat rice after a workout, I don't care about an extra tiny amount of sugar.

• I wouldn't put it past some restaurants to sneak a little sugar into the sushi rice. I haven't had sushi in a long time -- I'd rather eat sashimi -- but sometimes I've thought that the rice had a little sugar, not a lot, just a small amount.

Mary

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    I use medium grain white rice and it comes out very sticky on its own. What kind of use are you using?
  • Typical sushi rice = short grain rice + "sushi-su" (rice vinegar, sugar, salt).  The sugar isn't required for the rice to stick together. 

Co-Founder of NaturalStacks.com - creators of CILTEP®, SmartCaffeineâ„¢, MagTechâ„¢, and BioCreatineâ„¢