Low Energy & Brain Fog Help! (With Blood Test Results)

edited February 2014 in General Discussion

Hello Everyone! I am a long-time lurker but now I need your guidance and amazing body hacking minds.

Since relocating about a year ago into a new place and high stress job I have had increased brain fog and decreased energy. Even at my best my energy is nowhere near where it was before I moved. Please help me hack my body and fix it!

I first found Bulletproof before I moved (about 2 years ago) and have been doing Bulletproof coffee with intermittent fasting for about 18 months. Before the move this helped me feel great! I had tons of energy in the morning and enough to last me all day. AFTER the move, it all went downhill. I no longer felt the boost of energy from Bulletproof and go days where I have zero energy the whole day (even right after coffee)...

In the last few months I have started to get a handle on things and a tiny bit better but still struggle daily. I want to make sure I am on the right track. Here is what I am doing currently (or what I have changed):

•     Went about 90% green side of Bulletproof (Jan 2014)
  •     Started eating breakfast a few weeks ago. Usually the Upgraded Kale shake or something similar.
  •     More HRV! Also generally trying to control my stress levels. 
  •     Less coffee =(. I have 16oz in the morning, about 1/2 decaf.
  •     More food. I think I was under eating so I have been trying to eat more generally.
  •     Focus on getting enough sleep. I do a good job of reserving the time, but I still have not been sleeping great (even with the sleep mat).
  •     I take the basic list of supplements (C, Cod Liver Oil, K, Krill Oil, B Complex, D3, and Mag/Potassium at night)

What could be wrong with me? My blood tests (below) point to some possible hormone or thyroid issues (if there are other helpful blood tests, I can add them - I got the full WellnessFX profile). 

I'd like to come up with a few experiments I can run to see how I can start feeling better. But I am not sure where to start. Happy to answer more questions to get some better guidance. 

Thanks for you help!

Hand_cholesterol.png

Hand_hormones.png

Hand_Thyroid.png

Comments

• Your TSH is very high - anything over 2.4 is in the 95th percentile. You're also not converting T4 into T3. You might want to find a good thyroid glandular supplement (American Biologics) and take a selenium supplement (200mcg per day).  Gelatinized maca would help thyroid function as well if you can't get the glandular. 

Looking at the low DHEA I'd suggest you get an Adrenal Stress Index test done (Diagnos-Techs do a good one) to check for adrenal fatigue. 

The brain fog is probably due to excess Ammonia in the body which puts pressure on the Urea cycle. Can't really tell anything from those tests - you'd need an organix test to be sure. You can supplement with NAC & vitamin C to lower the amount of ammonia you are producing and increase the amount of glutathione (NAC crosses the blood brain barrier where it can be converted into glutathione, glutathione itself won't cross the BBB so for brain fog NAC is the better supplement). Also take L-citrulline or eat watermelon to support the Urea cycle which has to clear the ammonia from the system.

Having seen my own cholesterol numbers improve into the ideal ranges after a heavy metal detox, I'd recommend that as well - bentonite/diatomaceous earth or zeolite for internal cleansing, plus ProAlive active Detox probiotic and infrared sauna's.

Potato starch and prescript Assist are very helpful in stabilizing blood glucose and lowering Hba1c.

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Your TSH is very high - anything over 2.4 is in the 95th percentile. You're also not converting T4 into T3. You might want to find a good thyroid glandular supplement (American Biologics) and take a selenium supplement (200mcg per day).  Gelatinized maca would help thyroid function as well if you can't get the glandular. 

Looking at the low DHEA I'd suggest you get an Adrenal Stress Index test done (Diagnos-Techs do a good one) to check for adrenal fatigue. 

The brain fog is probably due to excess Ammonia in the body which puts pressure on the Urea cycle. Can't really tell anything from those tests - you'd need an organix test to be sure. You can supplement with NAC & vitamin C to lower the amount of ammonia you are producing and increase the amount of glutathione (NAC crosses the blood brain barrier where it can be converted into glutathione, glutathione itself won't cross the BBB so for brain fog NAC is the better supplement). Also take L-citrulline or eat watermelon to support the Urea cycle which has to clear the ammonia from the system.

Having seen my own cholesterol numbers improve into the ideal ranges after a heavy metal detox, I'd recommend that as well - bentonite/diatomaceous earth or zeolite for internal cleansing, plus ProAlive active Detox probiotic and infrared sauna's.

Potato starch and prescript Assist are very helpful in stabilizing blood glucose and lowering Hba1c.

I'd recommend everything above except for the heavy metal detox, it'll put even more stress on your system and it's a long shot but your brain fog could indicate a leaky blood brain barrier, something that could be disastrous if you start freeing up heavy metals. 

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I agree with hackergirls's post.  A few other things are, if you are eating tons of protein that could be an issue.

Stop fasting.  I do bulletproof coffee, but usually add cocoa powder and collagen.  And I eat lunch at noon.  I don't shy away from fruit and will eat it from lunch until dinner depending on activity levels.

Also you might want to add what a basic day looks like in terms of food, how much sleep you get, and how much exercise.

• Sure. My routines changed about January 2014. Once again, I am feeling marginally better but still not great. I have stopped the morning fast (with coffee) and think that has helped. I've also really focused on getting more sleep (or at least spending more time in bed...) and eating breakfast & green bulletproof foods. 

How much protein is too much (Bodyweight is 185lbs, about 160lbs lean)? I can track my macros for a few days to see what I am getting.

Here is what I do on an average current day.

* 7.5 - 8 hrs of sleep (I am in bed between 8-9 hrs but always wake in the middle of the night for a bit - I track with FitBit). 

* Exercise: 100 Kettlebell swings & 10 turkish get ups and a few 15min - 20min walks during work (otherwise sitting/standing at desk). I do the KB workout about 5/6 days per week. 1/2 days per week I add in an extra 7 minute workout with cleans/snatches/squats.

* HRV: try to do 1-2 times about about 10 minutes each

Average Meal: 

* Breakfast: 16oz (1/2 decaf) coffee w/ 1tbsp butter & 1tbsp MCT. Kale Shake - 1 bunch kale, 1tbsp butter, 1tbsp MCT, 2tbs collagen, and herbs/salt (I take a calcium/mag pill with this).

* Lunch: Canned Salmon with 1 avocado, 1 cucumber, olive oil & MCT dressing.

* Post-workout: SFH Recovery Protein Shake

* Dinner: A handful of grassfed meatballs and broccoli with butter

* Dessert(?): Hot chocolate (butter, upgraded cocoa powder & cocoa butter, honey, mct, sometimes collagen)

• you will feel rough for a few days from the detox but it's definitely worth it - make sure that you take the bentonite so that you are able to adsorb and excrete anything that is mobilized. One of the major benefits of this kind of detox is that it improves your hormonal function. Your testosterone levels are also pretty low - these tend to be inversely related to cortisol levels which is why I think you need that ASI test.  If your liver is trying to deal with toxins it gets overloaded and your neuroendocrine system doesn't work as well. High ammonia levels interfere with GABA production in particular which is why you end up with brain fog. 

• Thanks. I think I will start with the following:

* Thyroid Glandular

* Selenium

* NAC

* Vit C

Should I take some Iodine with the Selenium? I remember reading that on one of the forums. Also, how much vitamin C should I be taking? For the rest, I will just follow the guidelines posted elsewhere.

Then in a few weeks, I may try the detox. I have a few weeks where work will be low-key and that may be a good time to do that. But I will look into the ASI test in the meantime.

• It's the decrease in testosterone that worries me.  Cortisol can be used to shore about blood glucose levels, if your liver isn't storing enough to get you through the night.  This might explain the decrease in testosterone and the middle of the night waking. 

you will feel rough for a few days from the detox but it's definitely worth it - make sure that you take the bentonite so that you are able to adsorb and excrete anything that is mobilized. One of the major benefits of this kind of detox is that it improves your hormonal function. Your testosterone levels are also pretty low - these tend to be inversely related to cortisol levels which is why I think you need that ASI test.  If your liver is trying to deal with toxins it gets overloaded and your neuroendocrine system doesn't work as well. High ammonia levels interfere with GABA production in particular which is why you end up with brain fog. 

• Do some research on thyroid glandular.  If it was me, I would try the other supplements before trying glandular.  Selenium and iodine kind of go hand in hand.  There are various schools of thought on iodine dosage, but I think everyone agrees a gradual increase is safest.  As iodine displaces other halides (bromine, floride) it can make you feel shitty.

Thanks. I think I will start with the following:

* Thyroid Glandular

* Selenium

* NAC

* Vit C

Should I take some Iodine with the Selenium? I remember reading that on one of the forums. Also, how much vitamin C should I be taking? For the rest, I will just follow the guidelines posted elsewhere.

Then in a few weeks, I may try the detox. I have a few weeks where work will be low-key and that may be a good time to do that. But I will look into the ASI test in the meantime.

• Try to get what you need from food as you may have other micronutrients that are out of balance. If you're taking thyroid glandular it has actual thyroid hormone in it so you don't need to supplement with lugols iodine. Eat seaweed (nori snacks are tasty) and seafood instead or even better add a marine phytoplankton supplement. I found Maca particularly helpful for thyroid function - my symptoms improved within the first 24hrs of taking it. If you're really concerned about the iodine levels do a 24 hr iodine loading test (Hakala labs). 

500g of vitamin C should be enough. 

A glass of orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed) with a pinch of sea salt to counteract the release of adrenaline and with Knox gelatine dissolved in it taken before bedtime will help to support liver glycogen levels through the night which should help you sleep through. 

• One more thing on the glandular - if you take it start with one grain (1 tablet) - cut it in half and cut one half into two quarters - take a quarter first thing in the morning, 1/2 at lunch and a 1/4 at dinner. Chew the tabs to mix with saliva. People used to get a 1/2 to a full grain of supplemental thyroid hormone in our diet through things like raw dairy and organ meat (sweet meats are thyroid glands and were considered a delicacy) so there is a school of thought that it's a natural component of the human diet that we are now deficient in. I self medicated with it for about 2 years with no problems at all and still occasionally take some to help me sleep (yes counter-intuitively it does help). 

Maca is probably easier to find so it might be a better starting point. it's also rich in selenium and other micronutrients that support good thyroid function. 

The thyroid gland is very sensitive to mercury damage which is another reason to detox. 

• on a more general note I'm surprise that wellness FX are using such an outdated reference range for TSH. The American Association of Endocrinologists now use 3 as their upper limit and functional Dr's will treat a TSH higher than 2 if the patient is symptomatic

• Yeah I agree with this also.  Always better to get micro-nutrients from foods that are packaged in balance naturally. 

Oranges also help support thyroid independent of the sugar content.

Try to get what you need from food as you may have other micronutrients that are out of balance. If you're taking thyroid glandular it has actual thyroid hormone in it so you don't need to supplement with lugols iodine. Eat seaweed (nori snacks are tasty) and seafood instead or even better add a marine phytoplankton supplement. I found Maca particularly helpful for thyroid function - my symptoms improved within the first 24hrs of taking it. If you're really concerned about the iodine levels do a 24 hr iodine loading test (Hakala labs). 

500g of vitamin C should be enough. 

A glass of orange juice (preferably fresh squeezed) with a pinch of sea salt to counteract the release of adrenaline and with Knox gelatine dissolved in it taken before bedtime will help to support liver glycogen levels through the night which should help you sleep through. 

• edited February 2014

I will try the orange juice before bed. I am pretty tired of getting poor sleep. But it has been eerily consistent, I wake at 4am every day then am restless until around 6am when I get up, so I will now when I solve the problem. Sometimes I also wake around 1am or so. But fall back asleep quickly. I have tried the other things mentioned by Dave to no avail (blacked out room, no bright lights/electronics, etc.). 

Is this similar to the honey before bed that Dave has mentioned or does orange juice have additional benefits?

Also, hackergirl, you mentioned adding Knox gelatine - what is the use adding that? 

I bought some seaweed yesterday, yum!

jmayer, is there anything else I should look into about the testosterone changes? My cortisol was in the good range and has gone down: 

Aug 2013 : 15.7

Feb 2014 : 11.4

Good Range: 2.3 - 19.5

Notes: Both were taken fasted early AM.

• the glycine in the gelatine helps you sleep - it also helps to lower the rate of respiration while you sleep which improves tissue oxygenation.  Dissolve it in hot water first then mix it into the orange juice. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file