Bulletproof Diet And Fibre

Hello all,

One of the first things I noticed about BP is that besides vegetables, there seems to be no mention of fibre -- soluble and unsoluble.  Do you guys have any thoughts about it?  Is it something that must be supplemented, or is there a different school of thought altogether?

I have been looking at fibre supplements, and it seems impossible to find non-GMO+gluten free+soy free dietary and non-soluble fibre.

So, if you have any thoughts on keeping the blood vessels and intestines clean and bulletproof, do share!

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

You get huge amounts of fibre from veg, cocoa powder, avocados, the starches, coconut, nuts, etc, if you don't think it's enough then you aren't eating enough, I guess you could supplement by adding coconut flour to a smoothie or something, there is an absolutely huge amount of fibre in that.  If you ever feel like you need to go, you can always mix 1tbsp of himilayan salt into a quart of water and drink it (empty stomach) and wait (do go anywhere for a few hours).  Supplementing unsoluble fibre like psyllium is just scratching your guts causing them to weep mucus as a defense mechanism causing you to go, does that really sound like a good idea?

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • Whoa, I never knew that!  Weeping intestines?  That sounds tragic.  I use psyllium once in a while, or something called PGX daily.  (Before looking into BP.)  I also use herbs by Dr. Schulze.  Generally, my diet is quite high in fibre, (I know vegetables are good for the non-soluable stuff, didn't know about coconut and other nuts!) but probably not very much in the kind that keeps one's blood vessels clean.  Is that the stuff that's in coconuts?  (I eat lots of coconut.)

Thanks!  Good to know!

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

yes, coconut and coconut flour do contain the fiber you want, but especially sweet potato, brussels sprouts, and asparagus are noted as well.

My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • I use Raw Fiber by Garden of Life. It's raw, vegan, gluten free, dairy free and psyllium free w/o fillers. Try it!
  • Any other suggestions for fibre one can add to smoothies that is not crap?  I will look into Garden of Life.

• edited May 2014

i had a bag o eat smart brussel sprouts with my pork chops today.. and i was surprised to find it contained 4 servings. such a small amount and each serving is 120% Vitamin C and 12% fiber.. so i pretty much wolfed 480% of my RDA vitamin C and 48% fiber in one meal.

had no idea so much in these little things..

• Is there any evidence psyllium is bad? I mean its so cheap lawl.
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

If you eat a couple hundred grams of veggies each day I don't think you need more fibre than that. Do you experience digestive problems on BP?

I'm not fully BP but more or less, and my digestion is fine, but whenever the time comes to visit my family who eat tons of fruits and veggies, little protein and fat, my tummy doesn't feel that good.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• NickatNickat
    edited June 2014
    We thought it was ALL about fibre at first but heck...We need them enzymes too. The husks didn't do good for us in shakes and as said above...A decent amount of veggies is all that is needed. When on RFLP the salt water did the trick but also found upping the activated charcoal also helped. Don't know why though. Weeping intestines?
  • I find that when I take extra charcoal, I have to either drink LOTS of extra water, or take an herbal stimulant of some kind to keep things moving.  Charcoal and clay can be binding.

• edited June 2014

http://physrev.physiology.org/content/81/3/1031.full

Although NSP resist digestion by intrinsic human intestinal digestive enzymes completely, their intakes do not account for calculated human SCFA production (the “carbohydrate gap”). Some of the deficit may be filled by oligosaccharides (OS), but starch and products of small intestinal starch digestion are thought to contribute the most. This fraction is termed resistant starch (RS). This review aims to examine the relative contributions of RS and NSP to SCFA production in the context of the epidemiological and other data linking complex carbohydrates to improved colon function and lowered disease risk.

-

The “carbohydrate gap” is the discrepancy between NSP intakes and calculations of bacterial activity of the large bowel microflora and supports a significant contribution by RS. Individuals in affluent westernized countries may consume up to 28 g NSP/day. However, much larger quantities, possibly as much as 80 g, of fermentable carbohydrate are needed to sustain the biomass and account for SCFA production, and NSP may only provide 25% of that requirement.

-

In humans, RS and OS could close the carbohydrate gap, but consumption of OS appears to be self-limiting due to osmotic effects and may contribute only 5–10 g/day.

If you have no idea what that means I suggest starting by reading this.

• Maybe start by reading this:

http://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber

And maybe also:

http://www.gutsense.org/

I am actually minimizing fiber in my diet now, trying to keep it below 10 grams a day - I feel my stools are the best that way, if I get more fiber I get diarrhea.

• I find that when I take extra charcoal, I have to either drink LOTS of extra water, or take an herbal stimulant of some kind to keep things moving.  Charcoal and clay can be bin ding.

Yeah must admit drinking lots of extra water with a pinch of salt and dextrose helped. Liked taking iodine, salt and glutathione in water first thing too. Maybe that helped, IDK?

• SystemSystem mod
    edited June 2014
    I knew there was such thing as "bad fiber." I used to take Metamucil all the time. While it was effective in making me drop a deuce, it also made me feel kind of sick.

Thanks for explaining things in layman's terms, you know, for dumb people like me.

You get huge amounts of fibre from veg, cocoa powder, avocados, the starches, coconut, nuts, etc, if you don't think it's enough then you aren't eating enough, I guess you could supplement by adding coconut flour to a smoothie or something, there is an absolutely huge amount of fibre in that. If you ever feel like you need to go, you can always mix 1tbsp of himilayan salt into a quart of water and drink it (empty stomach) and wait (do go anywhere for a few hours). Supplementing unsoluble fibre like psyllium is just scratching your guts causing them to weep mucus as a defense mechanism causing you to go, does that really sound like a good idea?

• SystemSystem mod
    edited June 2014
    Designs for Health has this product called "Paleo Fiber," which is about as good a fiber product as you'll ever come across. It also contains probiotics.

Any other suggestions for fibre one can add to smoothies that is not crap? I will look into Garden of Life.

• You get huge amounts of fibre from veg, cocoa powder, avocados, the starches, coconut, nuts, etc, if you don't think it's enough then you aren't eating enough, I guess you could supplement by adding coconut flour to a smoothie or something, there is an absolutely huge amount of fibre in that.  If you ever feel like you need to go, you can always mix 1tbsp of himilayan salt into a quart of water and drink it (empty stomach) and wait (do go anywhere for a few hours).  Supplementing unsoluble fibre like psyllium is just scratching your guts causing them to weep mucus as a defense mechanism causing you to go, does that really sound like a good idea?

Psylium husk is bad!?!?

This is sad haha - weeping insides aren't at all appealing to me LOL...where did you find this out?

Check out my modafinil Supply site modafman.co.uk and buy modafinil online from a trustworthy supplier. Feel free to ask me questions on here or on twitter: @iDare87