Carbs And Fat?

If I am correct carbs should never be consumed with fat  right?

When you combine carbs with saturated fat, that is when the sat fat becomes harmful to ones health?

I ask this because I am a lifter and eat more carbs on training days and I am wondering how long after eating a portion of fat, say from grass fed beef, do I have to wait to eat my carbs?

Comments

• If I am correct carbs should never be consumed with fat  right?

When you combine carbs with saturated fat, that is when the sat fat becomes harmful to ones health?

I ask this because I am a lifter and eat more carbs on training days and I am wondering how long after eating a portion of fat, say from grass fed beef, do I have to wait to eat my carbs?

--- what I'm responding to above / my response below ---

I know fat blunts blood sugar spikes due to carbs, but if you spike insulin (via blood sugar, presumably) more of the fat is stored rather than used as energy. So do I want to take fats with carbs to avoid the insulin spike, or avoid fats when eating carbs because of the insulin spike? That part always confuses me, and I'd love a detailed response from someone who knows more than I do. 

In terms of "harmful to ones health," I don't think you need to worry so much if you're eating healthy fats. Oxidized fats are the ones that cause cardiovascular issues. And some saturated fats like C-8 and C-10 MCTs are going to be used as energy regardless of how much sugar you take them with. So if you eat a healthy diet, but mistime carbs and fat, you might just gain some body fat as the worst consequence. 

Finally, my understanding is if you lifted really heavy it shouldn't make much of a difference. In the Four Hour Body, Tim Ferriss makes the point that, after you use any muscle, it is coated with the GLUT-4 transporter, which pulls sugar and other nutrients into the muscle cell. Work out more, and there's more of it. He makes two relevant suggestions: (1) during binge/cheat days, do 30-50 air squats, wall pushes, and standing band pulls (works the trapezius) to get a little bit of GLUT-4 on muscles all over your body. Do this before and after meals and you can put more of the crap you ate into muscles instead of fat. (2) He says you can eat whatever you want within 30 minutes of high intensity full body weight training to failure. Obviously high-quality proteins are better for building muscle, but his claim is that if you can manage to scarf down a pizza within 30 minutes of weight training to failure, the pizza is going to your muscles, not fat. 

• not even any butter/coconut milk with your sweet potatoes? thats what gets me - all of my preferred carb dishes require some amount of fat. 

i know kiefer mentions that if you have enough carbs, a bit of fat won't matter. maybe one of these days i'll torture myself with fatless sweet potatoes...i dunno though. 

• ah, makes more sense. although i do wonder about food-combining theories and the ideas of what order to eat food in (more watery foods before more dense foods, stuff like that). like some people say that eating foods that take longer to digest (proteins/carbs) before things like green veggies makes it so veggies don't get absorbed as well. i think similar stuff has been brought up here before and i think mostly dismissed. might be something to experiment with at some point though. 

• We are definitely beyond paleo in this community, but when facing these kind of questions I often consider how our bodies would have adapted over millions of years. In this case the body simply would use the carbs first (this explains why putting sugar in BPC is generally a bad idea) and store the fat. Sugars trump ketones as a fuel source when present.

Not too mention, sweet potatoes without coconut oil or butter just sound unappealing to me!