Budget Ideas

Hi guys...I am looking for all your best budget bulletproof ideas. We will temporarily be going down to one income and have a ton of student loans, mortgage...etc. payments. We live in Canada and get everything shipped (vit, mct, coffee) we buy local beef by order every two months, cook from scratch and buy mostly organic veggies, a bit of friut and eggs from our health food store at $7/dozen! We spend a fortune I feel like(probably not but when ordering in bulk it seems like we are always putting out 200-400 for bulk orders) Our butter is as good as we can get here in the great white north!! We are overspending at the moment because we wanted to try out a new vitamin routine...but after the next two months we wont be able to afford more than very, very basics. There are three of us to feed. What thoughts do you have? 

I was thinking on very budget supplements for all, tons of ground beef, and just make do with the best(by best I mean leanest) supermarket cuts we can find for chicken and beef. Probably need to resort to local ok coffee, keep the eggs free range organic. Veggies will all have to be non organic unless on the top 15 list. Unfortunately no more smoothies etc as they are way to costly. We need to cut costs for march - july or august...a long time! We have been supplementing my 4 year old with FCLO, elderberry syrup, magnesium, the best multi we can find(natural calm multi) and we cannot keep that up for her either. 

I know it will all end but still...it is hard to think about going back to eating crap and not supplementing, esp when 2 family members are going through chemo and wont listen to us!!

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

Comments

• It sounds like you are doing a great job already.

On the meat, I have found that buying half a cow from a local rancher (I'm in Western WA) costs much less on a cost/ pound basis than buying meat at a grocery store. Could you do this where you live?

Also, for some single income families or small business owners, bartering can work, especially if you have more time than money (like trade chores/yardwork for vegetables. My hairdresser traded haircuts/color for massages with a massage therapist).

Or try growing some of your own food. Or get chickens if you have to room.

These work for some, but not everyone :)

Mary

• edited February 2014

well...we can't grow food is -40 weather...brr...its cold outside here...and there isn't many grass fed and finished farms here well...because its a crap load of work when our winters last from nov - april! We are lucky to get chinooks that warm things up temporarily but yikes...a half year to supplement with organic grasses for cattle isn't cheap! It is cheaper to buy from our local farm who delivers to the city when we "cheap" cuts like reg. ground beef, chuck roast, blade steaks...than it is buying a 1/2 or 1/4 cow because you get the better cuts that we would love but don't need. Still way, way more pricey than supermarket I think. I am going to go to the store tomorrow and write down prices of steaks etc. and see. Maybe we need to implement the 2 days a week no protein thing from daves new book...at the moment we do one every two weeks. Problem is that we wont have more time...just no money. venturing into self business and possibly very little income for several months until a client base is established

against the law to have chickens in town...boo.

• ZenfoodZenfood ɹǝqɯǝɯ pǝɔuɐʌp∀

My first thought is:

Sell your TV. It will save you time and money. It will actually motivate you to be creative as well.

• lol. We don't have cable. Only use it to watch dvd's and netflix. great idea though!

we live very basic in terms of "things" ... we allowed ourselves to buy new clothes when we didn't fit into our old ones and that about it. Our money goes to food/vit/butter/mct, loans from school and vehicle, school for my daughter, chiropractor, gas, household bills and kickboxing. Thats it...we eat out 2 times a month and its never over $40/ bill for three of us. 

• Can you renegotiate the terms of your student loan payments, at least while you are building your business? Would that work in Canada?

Mary

• lol...I wish marielle! At the moment we are doing interest only payments do nothing gets lower than paying nothing! Yikes! 

I think it may be cheaper to move to seattle! But they don't pay teachers as well...

• oh...we already work on a cash budget for monthly groceries...(I run a dayhome until I go back to teaching so I make very little on top of paying our bills and feeding them) so to lose any additional income is going to be hard. Im just looking for ideas that maybe I have not thought of yet!

• lol...I wish marielle! At the moment we are doing interest only payments do nothing gets lower than paying nothing! Yikes!

I think it may be cheaper to move to seattle! But they don't pay teachers as well...

I live North of Seattle and the economy is doing fine here (not rockin' but definitely not in the toilet, either). We have quite good access to healthy, organic food and Seattleites tend to be a bunch of greenies :-). Your idea to move here has merit. Especially if you can get a job north or south of Seattle -- housing is cheaper in the suburbs.

Cost of living -- much more favorable than Vancouver BC (I love Vancouver, though).

Good luck, Neutney. You face some tough choices. Hang in there.

Mary

• honestly, since my better half is a graphic designer/art director...we have a good chance of making it in seattle...but couldn't possibly move until the lease on our place it up in a whole year. Oh well...we will manage and survive evening eating crap! lol...too many others do!

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Your approach seems sound to me and pretty much mirrors what my family and I do to get by. When times are hard, you just have to do the best you can with what you've got. Even eating supermarket meats and dropping most of your supplements, you're miles ahead of pretty much everyone outside this forum. Good luck!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Your approach seems sound to me and pretty much mirrors what my family and I do to get by. When times are hard, you just have to do the best you can with what you've got. Even eating supermarket meats and dropping most of your supplements, you're miles ahead of pretty much everyone outside this forum. Good luck!

Totally...I think this is what we will have to do. We are seriously considering a move to the us but I am not sure if I will find a job as good as I could get here in the teaching field! 

• we only pay $4 a visit because it is covered but those look like great ideas, ty

• Have you ever compared the quality of your free ranged eggs to factory farmed eggs? The regulations for labels are pretty loose so it might not give you your best bang for your buck and instead you can allocate the money to something else.

Indomitable- when you break you get right back up

• is it possible to buy meat from a hunter?

we buy deer meat really cheap.

• good call...my friend's hubby has a freezer full of meat...probably not much cheaper but I will ask. Ty for the reminder

• Do you have a green thumb? Try growing your own veggies, even if it's just container gardening on a patio.

Also just b/c chickens are "illegal" doesn't mean you can't do it. Depending on where you are it would be so easy to have a small coop with 2 chickens in an enclosed mobile run (where they wouldnt disturb the neighbors). Often friends I know that are out of the ordinance "bribe" neighbors with eggs, but really find it's not necessary since chickens are not loud and VERY easy to care for. The eggs are so worth it but it is a bit of an investment to get started unless you know how to build a coop, etc.

I would make a list and prioritize what foods make you feel the best (so you know what to sacrifice) and definitely try to buy meat in bulk. I think Dave does mention in a podcast about conventional eggs being the best alternative if you can't afford grass fed meats, etc. But still, eating a lot of eggs can make you develop an allergy.

Good luck in these tough times :/

• bone broth is pretty economical.  when i'm broke, i don't buy supplements.  i can't bring myself to buy conventional.  i usually wind up eating more carbs (white rice, free food, etc.).  my housemate sometimes goes to a local food bank distribution and comes home with a loaf of bread, a bag of minute rice (brown and white, rancid) lots of plum tomatoes, eggs from smith's, and canned carrots and peas.  i've been blanching the tomatoes and making sauce, sometimes w/meatballs...gonna make soup out of them today.  i don't usually eat tomatoes and wouldn't generally buy them, but they're here...

i sold my washing machine yesterday, so i splurged at the farmer's market this morning...good eggs, arugula, nettles, raw milk.  i'm so grateful for access to healthy food.  i try to stay inspired, grateful, and trustful of the abundance that is all around us, and despite living paycheck to paycheck, i usually have what i need and often what i want, too. 

• Wellness Mama has tons of good tips for budgeting our BP/Paleo/Real Food lifestyle.

Ground beef is so versatile, you'll do great. Can you buy up some cabbage and make some sauerkraut? That lasts a long time and you'll get your probiotics :)  

Best of luck.  

• If you live in Canada, you can often get your student loans deferred.... .

I've had mine deferred for a number of years, and I'll be paying em off in a few months. Check into it. You might be able to make it happen! :)

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress
    edited March 2014

A few ideas:

- get cheaper cuts. Grass-fed rump is still grass-fed!

- get organ meats. In Sydney, people don't seem to ever want them. I bought a 500g lamb's liver for $2 which is cheaper than 2 slices of bacon. You can include them in mince, soup etc. If you eat enough liver you can ditch your vitamin D and A supplements.

- eat more eggs than meat

- make some of Dave's meatloaf recipes

- buy in bulk

- try 1 day per week protein fast, RFLP, or even complete fasting. That's 1/7 of your food bill gone right there.

- refeed twice per week instead of once. Carbs are cheaper.

- use the Bulletproofing the Athlete thread to find your protein requirement - you may find you can cut down from what you currently eat

- find a farmers' market for vegetables

- get some cheaper but still high quality coffee and MCT if you can.

- see if you can bulk buy a cow with some friends

• GarrettGarrett
    edited March 2014

1 correction - for anyone who lives above San Francisco, vit D supplementation IS necessary, even when eating liver. Vitamin A is definitely fine to ditch when including liver. 

The D content in meat is not sufficient for people's needs in colder climates.

Also, I can attest to the RFLP times being very helpful in helping me save monies on meat. It enabled me to make 9 pounds of beef last for 2 weeks :)

A few ideas:

- get cheaper cuts. Grass-fed rump is still grass-fed!

- get organ meats. In Sydney, people don't seem to ever want them. I bought a 500g lamb's liver for $2 which is cheaper than 2 slices of bacon. You can include them in mince, soup etc. If you eat enough liver you can ditch your vitamin D and A supplements.

- eat more eggs than meat

- make some of Dave's meatloaf recipes

- buy in bulk

- try 1 day per week protein fast, RFLP, or even complete fasting. That's 1/7 of your food bill gone right there.

- refeed twice per week instead of once. Carbs are cheaper.

- use the Bulletproofing the Athlete thread to find your protein requirement - you may find you can cut down from what you currently eat

- find a farmers' market for vegetables

- get some cheaper but still high quality coffee and MCT if you can.

- see if you can bulk buy a cow with some friends

• I would also say look into buying a capsule filler and cap your own supplement powders. You can get the bulk versions for sometimes half the price of already-capped supplements! I do this with vitamin C and it saves quite a bit o' cash.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file