The Fight To Keep Your Body Whole.

edited February 2014 in General Discussion

I'd like to know what Dave and this community thinks about keeping your body the way we have evolved to be.  I'd like to know if these common practices are at all helpful or necessary in a first world country with proper hygiene and diet.  I'd love to read your opinions on one or more of the following knee-jerk surgeries:

1) Circumcision.

2) Removal of tonsils.

3) Removal of wisdom teeth.

If there are no known complications already present...why would these surgeries be considered something acceptable to do to yourself or your children?  They just seem to go against my instincts. 

Seeing through the chaotic.

Comments

• All 3 of those parts are intact for me, and I'm doing just fine :) 

If there happens to be a medical emergency, and there happens to be a necessary reason to remove them, then do so. Otherwise, why remove them?

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Any medical procedure carries considerable risk. To carry out any of them without absolute need seems careless to me. There may be some cases where all of these procedures would be advisable, but the circumstances are likely rare and I suspect that alternative treatments/leaving the body intact/using preventative measures to stay healthy and avoid infection in the first place is really what's best in 99% of cases.

In the case of circumcision, there is absolutely NO cause for it. Like, if you're a healthy, rational person, then chopping off some of your dick-skin shouldn't be considered any more seriously than, say, lopping off part of your earlobe or the tip of your nose. There's simply no good reason to do it. It's barbaric and immoral to subject a newborn baby to such a procedure when it's painful, useless and carries a good deal of risk. Religious traditions are no excuse.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Interestingly our orthodontist suggested pulling molars with cavities before wisdom teeth.  He added you can always pull these brand new teeth forward.  As for the other two body parts, STOP cutting!!   And they wonder why "cutting" has become a "disease" especially in young girls?  Who sets the example? 

• I had my wisdom teeth taken out 25 years ago.  They grew up under my molars and were starting to push my teeth out of alignment.  Other than that, I've had no other surgery in my almost 46 years.  My husband still has his wisdom teeth (and they fit in his mouth!) and we both have our tonsils.

I'm more concerned about organs like the gall bladder.  So many people I know get their gall bladders removed and many surgeons can't wait to take them (I wonder if gall bladder removal generates a good profit margin?).  I just read this article by Jack Kruse.  I'm worried for people who blindly choose this route.

http://jackkruse.com/cpc-3-do-you-need-a-gallbladder/

I have no children, but had I chosen that path, I would not have boys circumcised.  I won't criticize those who do it for religious reasons, but I wouldn't subject a child to it.

Mary

• I have to post this.  Not that splenectomies fall under the category being discussed -- I think spleens are usually removed after they've ruptured due to trauma -- but I thought this was a cool way to describe a little known organ.

Mary

edited March 2014

To me, religious reasons aren't good enough. This is needless bodily mutilation, plain and simple.

If one's god requires a tithe in tiny baby penis skins, then I think they really need to examine what they're doing with their life and maybe grow up. Basing one's life off of a collection of sordid Bronze Age myths is dumb. I mean, what the does god even DO with all of those little foreskins? If people want to fill their lives with whatever ridiculous beliefs, then that's fine. But when you start shearing parts off of actual human bodies? Off of babies? That's crossing a line, and it's patently immoral, since the victim cannot consent.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• MarielleMarielle
    edited March 2014

Shit, I will. If your god requires a tithe in tiny baby penis skins, then I think you really need to examine what the fuck you're doing with your life and maybe grow up. Basing your life off of a collection of sordid Bronze Age myths is fucking dumb. I mean, what the hell does god even DO with all of those little foreskins?

I do not practice religion, but I do respect my Jewish friends.  I also stated that I personally wouldn't have a child circumcised. 

Mary

Demon, your post is offensive. You don't need to curse at me, nor criticize me when you don't even know my religious beliefs. I do not practice religion, but I do respect my Jewish friends.  I also stated that I personally wouldn't have a child circumcised.

Sorry, that wasn't directed at you personally. It was the general "you" I'd hoped to invoke there. I didn't mean for it to be taken that way! I don't presume to know anything about your beliefs or lack thereof, so I'm sorry if my post offended you.  :sad:

I have a problem with people who try and legitimize bodily mutilations with archaic, irrational belief systems. If you want to respect their beliefs then that's absolutely your prerogative. It's absolutely appalling to me, however.

• edited March 2014

I've also spoken with older folks who think that pulling their wisdom teeth led to loose teeth in old age, and more lost teeth.  I've read how dentists use the wisdom teeth as anchors for bridge work.  I've also read were they claim having the over-crowding that the wisdom teeth may create, aids in the re-settling when you have another tooth removed.   I've also read that the smaller skull and jaw in general may have been caused by the altered diet of straying from paleo-like diets, as well as the food we eat now being less tough on the molars.  Interesting.

Seeing through the chaotic.
  • edited March 2014

Here's one scientific reason for circumcision

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/

As for wisdom removal, I agree with sports. Crowding caused by smaller jaws due to changes in lifestyle. 

Tonsil removal is a practical solution to a real problem (strep throat, infections, etc), but could be indirectly avoided by adopting other lifestyle changes. 

Biohacking Twitter

Biology Hacker Blog

[twitter]BiologyHacker[/twitter]

Here's one scientific reason for circumcision

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/malecircumcision/

I scarcely think this qualifies as a good, or even "scientific" reason for circumcision. Somehow I don't think that shearing off my dick skin is the most efficacious way to halt the spread of STDs and the development of penile cancer. I could be wrong, of course (Hint: I'm not.)

• I'm at dentist right now planning when to have wisdom teeth out... One of the bottoms is always getting a bit infected & it's playing with my ear also.... Haven't had any surgery for quite a long time so a bit anxious...
  • Circumcision was invented to make our sex organs look even more like the sex organs of certain fungi. 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'm at dentist right now planning when to have wisdom teeth out... One of the bottoms is always getting a bit infected & it's playing with my ear also.... Haven't had any surgery for quite a long time so a bit anxious...

I had my wisdom teeth out, and don't regret it. My understanding is it's not full "general anesthesia" so it's less risky than more invasive surgeries. You are technically awake, but can't feel pain and cannot form memories. That said, I briefly became aware of what was going on during my surgery, and remember it. But I didn't feel any pain or anxiousness, just detached amusement with the situation. 

There are arguments that gluten and lack of sufficient K2 during pregnancy and early childhood lead to a smaller jaw, which is why many of us don't have room for wisdom teeth. In the most recent podcast on sleep, Dave mentioned jaw size due to gluten in relation to sleep apnea, but said that he used some kind of an appliance to make his jaw bigger. If you are super against getting your wisdom teeth removed, that might be an alternative. 

If I magically had my wisdom teeth back and they were getting infected, I would choose to get them removed again. 

Circumcision was invented to make our sex organs look even more like the sex organs of certain fungi. 

[citation needed]

• MrsfloydMrsfloyd ✭✭
    edited June 2014

I'm all for removing wisdom teeth if they cause problems, as they tend to do.

The rest is a no.  Why genitally mutilate children in 2014?  I respect religion, but I also think it is something that must be kept in check rigorously -- otherwise we'd have repeats of much barbarism in our not-so-distant history committed in the name of religion.  No religion is worth robbing a person of a part of their body, any more than a dog show guidelines is a reason to cut off dog's ears and tails.  It is backward, ignorant, and barbaric and yes, there are worse, far worse things -- but circumcision certainly falls in that category.  As far as tonsils go --  why remove the circuit breaker that are the tonsils?  Stupid and short-sighted.

• edited June 2014

I consider circumcision to be a barbaric and unnecessary practice, and should never be done without the consent of the man (never a child, but a grown man).  I would like very much to have my additional penile sensitivity returned to me if it wasn't irreversible.  

Not as horrible or tragic as female circumcision, but I consider it to be along the same lines.

•  I do not practice religion, but I do respect my Jewish friends.  I also stated that I personally wouldn't have a child circumcised. 

I respect them as well, and they can hate me all they want or consider me ignorant or whatever, but I don't respect this practice.  We don't stone women for committing adultery anymore, either, or any number of the 'interesting' practices laid out in the old testament/torah.  People have been picking and choosing what they take literally out of these books for millennia, I'm honestly surprised this one has somehow lasted this long.

• Circumcision was invented to make our sex organs look even more like the sex organs of certain fungi.

[citation needed]

I still need to read it, but I'm guessing it has something to do with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushroom_and_the_Cross

• I got my wisdom teeth out today - would it be any benefit taking probiotics or Kombucha while on antibiotics or better off waiting till the course is finish?
  • I am circumcized and all 3 of my children are not. I have no clue how the other version works from a maintenence standpoint. Its tough being a parent

• An  excerpt from the introduction to John Allegro's The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross:

"To raise the crops the farmer copulated with his wife in the fields. To seek the drug that would send his soul winging to the seventh heaven and back, the initiates into the religious mysteries had their priestesses seduce the god and draw him into their grasp as a woman fascinates her partner’s penis to erection. 

For the way to God and the fleeting view of heaven was through plants more plentifully endued with the sperm of God than any other. These were the drug-herbs, the science of whose cultivation and use had been accumulated over centuries of observation and dangerous experiment. Those who had this secret wisdom of the plants were the chosen of their god; to them alone had he vouchsafed the privilege of access to the heavenly throne. And if he was jealous of his power, no less were those who served him in the cultic mysteries. Theirs was no gospel to be shouted from the rooftops: Paradise was for none but the favoured few. The incantations and rites by which they conjured forth their drug plants, and the details of the bodily and mental preparations undergone before they could ingest their god, were the secrets of the cult to which none but the initiate bound by fearful oaths, had access." 

(I apologize for not giving exact page number my version is a pirated pdf.) 

It's most def a book looking into. I need to secure a physical version so I can actually read it. I've only skimmed through my pdf version a couple times. A lot of the information has somewhat already been intuited and downloaded to me through reading other books and visionary medicine.

If I ever had a male child I would for sure get it circumcised with the idea of paying homage to the mushroom who's sperm has allowed access through the secret space of dreams. Thankfully my weirdness impacts my morality and ethics, I feel that having children is immoral. So nobody has to worry about me one day doing something as awful as honoring our plant helpers through the removal of a little skin. To me circumcision at least seems less barbaric then ripping teeth out of a persons skull, but then again..wisdom teeth, I wonder if their is any wisdom ... (I hope I do not offend anyone who reads this and that you can appreciate the weirdness and humor I have brought to this thread.) 

I still need to read it, but I'm guessing it has something to do with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sacred_Mushroom_and_the_Cross

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

I feel that having children is immoral.

Antinatalist, by chance?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file