Whey Protein Added To Bulletproof Fast Fat Loss

edited February 2014 in Bulletproof Diet

Hello Bulletproofer's :smile:

I am under pressure to lose a lot of weight quickly as I am getting into acting and need to lose 2stone for something. I work at the moment in a shop job and cycle to work (40mins each way) and have to get super fit for a fight scene I am filming for a showreel. I  want to try the bulletproof fast fat loss program but I am feeling too weak to workout. I am new to fitness too but need to stick to a 6day a week program a trainer has set me so as well as the cycling I will be execising a lot each day and wondered if anyone had tried the fast fat loss with whey protein? I realise this is not the program as advertised but as a newbie I would welcome any advice on a program for 2months to lose as much weight as possible whist working out. I would rather add grass fed whey to the fast loss 6days than actual food as I feel it may keep the ketosis stronger. If anyone has tried the fast fat loss with addition of either whey to their morning BPC or in the evening I would love to hear recommendations. I have been on the program as listed for 4days and have to admit I feel really weak (and yes I am taking the supplements!). I am fine and dandy in the morning but when I get home at gone 7 I am ready to collapse and haven't been to the gym once in the last four days so either my body needs more than the usual 3days to adjust or I need a dash of good quality protein. Any thoughts?

Mx

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

Definitely eat protein when working out. The rapid fat loss program is for people who don't train. Especially that you want to keep this up for two months, and you have to get fit, not just lose weight (the fastest way to lose weight is to chop off a leg, weight is a very meaningless number unless someone is too heavy for their joints or there is some weight class). So to keep up your strength and avoid crashing (two months is too long to do a crash diet approach) you will need protein and you will need the refeeds (one evening in 5-7 days, best done after a heavy strength workout), both are a must. Add sleep to this, more than you would normally sleep. You don't want to fight against your hormones.

You are better off with working out than doing the rapid fat loss so don't think twice before adding protein. You can't do both for a period this long. Two stones is 12.7 kg, I don't know how fit you are (based on your photo you seem to be in good shape) but I assure you you will look much better if you lose 7-8 kg fat and keep all your muscle (or, if you are an easygainer like me, add some muscle), than if you lose 15 kg, 9 of it muscle and 6 fat.

If you haven't read this thread, I recommend it:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2156-bulletproofing-the-athlete-a-fully-customizable-template-for-tracking-and-changing-food-intake-based-on-changing-goals/

If you are doing the cyclic keto approach, I suggest you don't begin the filming immediately after your refeed because the carbs will retain water weight and may make you look puffier. However, I read somewhere that if you do carb backloading with very little water intake (hard to do because you're damn thirsty), the carbs will attract the water in your body into your muscles, making you look jacked. So this is an alternative approach to make you look more gorgeous in the final day.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Thanks so much for all that Reka. I found this week really tough and couldn't work out beyond cycling my 40mins either way to work and as soon as I got home I was ready to rest up not get fired up to work out hard in the gym. I am new to training and in my situation toning up and getting much fitter is equal to my weight loss. I am a size 12 but I need to be a size 10, well I am aiming for an 8 but I would be happy if I got to a fit and toned 10. I realise training and fitness is on going but wanted to lose weight as fast as possible but I feel you are completely right, I do need the protein every day if I am working out. I met a stuntman at the weekend who is 81 was Frank Sinatra's body double and still does something everyday..salsa, jive, rollerblading, weights ice skating! I asked him his diet and ok, he didn't have the BP coffee but the rest of his diet was poster boy bulletproof! He said said the same as you, if you are working out you must always have protein and if strict detox fast days only moderate exercise. I must also address the extra sleep point you raised. I never get enough sleep and that will certainly be a key factor. I am really glad you replied as although I am super keen to crack on with weight loss and harness my determination to do so but I think if I want to train as well I need some BP protein and lovely kale! Wishing you all the best X

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited March 2014

I pretty much don't think you can do the rapid fat loss protocol and exercise with any intensity, even with protein. And I think if you try you could hurt yourself in ways that hurt the scene you're trying to film. I don't want to be alarmist, but when I read what you're doing I was alarmed. 

When you are in ketosis, your body has two energy sources: fat (either dietary fat or body fat) and glycogen. Glycogen is sugar that is stored both in the liver and in much smaller amounts in your muscles. The purpose of glycogen is to provide energy during intense bursts of exercise. My experience has been that fat-burning can sustain efforts of up to 80% of my max effort. So sugar (glycogen) is used for really hard efforts. 

Also, when you are first starting ketosis you will likely burn through your glycogen, as your body is adjusting to burning fat for fuel.

I believe the reason you are tired is that you have burned through some or all of your glycogen, and your body isn't quite ready to burn fat at a level that will cover much more than your bike rides - especially if you push hard on the bike or have to climb a steep hill. Protein just isn't going to cover the difference, as it is not efficiently converted into ATP (the actual fuel cells use; burning fat or sugar both produce ATP.) 

Now, you're in a tough spot because you need to lose weight fast. You might think "I'll just push through, and my body will be forced to burn fat." Not so fast. 

If you stay in ketosis and do hard exercise and never re-feed with carbs, bad things can happen. You can stop producing mucous effectively, which in addition to giving you dry eyes and nose, will give you dry intestines and leaky gut. Leaky gut will give you new food allergies which could potentially make it impossible to follow this or another diet in the future. You could also gain puffy weight due to inflammation and get acne. Women also run into fertility problems on zero carbs. This is not to mention potential thyroid and adrenal issues that could crop up, also affecting weight and quality of life. 

Last year I followed a diet and exercise protocol that I'd specifically designed to deplete glycogen and force my body to burn fat. That was just hill sprints (100% effort to burn glycogen) and moderate weight training, and not 6 days a week. I lost weight for two weeks, and then abruptly got very dry eyes, acne, and gained 4 pounds overnight, and felt horrible. I knew I'd screwed myself up, and had to eat lots of carbs for days, gaining weight, until I felt normal again. I was still eating carbs in small amounts, and plenty of protein during that time. What you are planning to do is more extreme both in terms of diet and exercise than what messed me up. 

BTW If anyone on the boards doesn't like the science above, PLEASE chime in.

I don't want to just be a naysayer, and I do think you have options: 

1. Do the regular bulletproof diet and exercise. You should still lose a lot of fat and gain muscle. I'd have to say more than one carb re-feed with healthy carbs per week, or a sweet potato a day or something. I think this is the best option. If it doesn't work, get a serious blood test because that's a sign you've got some issues with your metabolism. 

2. Do the rapid fat-loss protocol without exercise to lose fat fast, then change to a healthy diet with more carbs and plenty of protein, and do near-bodybuilding style workouts to build muscle as fast as possible. You won't get too bulky because you don't have a man's testosterone. 

3. Personally, I would sooner take a sketchy diet supplement stack to achieve my desired body composition than try to exercise 6 days a week with a trainer on only butter and caffeine and no carbs at all. 

• Thank you ACH85! That was really kind of you to explain all that and actually, I have decided that as I only had a week of the BP diet before attempting the fast fat loss I would be better sticking to that to get my body used to the BP diet and exercise before attempting the fast fat loss. If I do try the latter I will certainly just do a little exercise but  think you are absolutely right with all you said with gycogen levels. Before I discovered BP diet I was having a lot of fruit and at the wrong times and certainly not enough protein. A friend in LA told me to try the lemon detox before xmas and although my skin did get extra radiant I could only manage 5days. I think all that high carb sugar was hideous for me. I am just starting out with fitness and although I certainly was not going to do the exercise 6days a week and fast fat loss for 2months I feel a steadier approach would be better. I am starting out this week with 4sessions a week and not really hard as I do not have the muscle power yet! My goal is to lose weight, tone up and get fit but I want to keep my vitality and days on the BP diet I feel so vibrant so I will get well adjusted to the diet that is new to my system and then see how I am doing. I am in my 30's and would love a career in TV and film but have been told to have this I must lose weight from a 12 to ideally an 8 but I actually would be happy at a size 10. So I will really stick to the BP diet and exercise and see how that goes. Thank you for all your advice and I will make a not of it all.

All the best,

Mx

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

No problem, I think BP diet is your best bet. Plus, if you need to talk to your trainer about what you're eating it's close enough to paleo that the discussion will be possible. 

Make sure you do the carb re-feed days, they are a very important because a range of metabolic hormones change over time when you are in ketosis, and need to be re-set using carbs. You might head over to the BP women's forum here to dial-in the re-feeds, as apparently many women do better with more frequent re-feeds than are required by men. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

What will your training look like? If you will alternate metabolic / conditioning training with strength training you can have the refeed after your heavy strength workout. If you are doing split body weight lifting plus cardio maybe you can add a little carbs after most of thoese sessions, depending on how your recovery and energy levels require it.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.