100% Grass Fed Butter Will Be Available In Canada Year Round 2014!

To all the Canadian fans of bullet proof coffee, we know how much of a pain it is to get top quality grass fed butter here in this country. Like you, I have started doing a bit of research to figure out how it can be done. I came across some promising leads, but one company sealed the deal. 2014 will be the year of grass fed butter in Canada!

The company is http://www.brookersmeat.com

I spoke with them and had the following questions officially answered. 

What percentage of the cows diet will be grass fed? (If not 100%, what
other substances will they be consuming?)

To my knowledge, 100% grass fed

Are they fed any GMO substances?
No

What will the living environment of the cow be like? (cage, pasture etc):
Free range, spacious barn environment

Are the cows raised on any hormones or antibiotics? :  

No

Estimation of when the butter will be available to consumers?:
Late April/early May

Estimation of what the price for your grass fed butter will be?:
To be determined

Will the butter be available year round?(frozen etc):
That is the plan

Where will the butter be available to purchase from?(stores, directly from
you etc):

Direct

What are your current recommendations for getting the best brand of grass
fed butter from the USA (kerrygold, other brands etc), even if it means
having to drive across the border.  What brand would you suggest?

Organic Valley – 99% grass fed
Kerrygold – Ireland, 20% grains during winter of which 3% of grains fed
during winter may contain GMO
Anchor Butter – New Zealand
Allgau – Germany, 100% grass/hay
Smjor – Iceland, 100% grass/hay
Humboldt & Kalona – USA, 20% grains during winter

Once I do a little more research in the meantime, my plan is to drive across the border to Detroit area and see if I can get my hands on pure grass fed butter.  

Brookers meats has a waiting list of people for grass fed butter, if you'd like to be a part of that list shoot me an email at [email protected] with your info and I'll make sure to forward it appropriately. 

Regarding that trip to Detroit in the next couple weeks, if you're in the southern Ontario region and would like to arrange something, shoot me an email at [email protected] and we'll see if we can work something out. 

My name is Ryan and I'm from Stratford Ontario.

Cheers to my fellow grass fed butter thirsty Canadians!

Comments

• my only question is did you find out if they will do an unsalted? Many that do grass fed butter start with salted as there is usually a higher market. Thanks for the info, I hope that shipping doesn't cost a fortune because it ain't light! 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• edited March 2014

my only question is did you find out if they will do an unsalted? Many that do grass fed butter start with salted as there is usually a higher market. Thanks for the info, I hope that shipping doesn't cost a fortune because it ain't light! 

Great question and I forgot to include that. It definitely comes in salted and unsalted versions. When I spoke with them they hinted at prices around the $13 for 1/2lb (subject to change likely as the season progresses). This page here shows it comes in unsalted. http://www.brookersmeat.com/beefgrassfed

• I contacted them over a year ago, they do not ship out of province so this option is for ontario only.

Hmm, hopefully their development this year will open up the ability to supply outside of Ontario. When I spoke on the phone they really wanted to scale big this year. I'll keep that in mind though. 

• I'd bring a butt load back (to Alberta) from a family wedding in May if I could get my hands on some.  Unsalted of course. 

• I buy my meat from these guys and it's good, they are great people and they offer grass fed butter here and there but it's something like 14 bucks a lb.  So, I have never bought it.

• yikes..$14 a pound is outrageous! 

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• I call there every month and they never have GF butter in stock.  They have told me they are looking at getting into producing more. Which, is great ...but I will believe it when I see it.

• Yeah we'll have to see what the actual prices turn out to be, hopefully it becomes lower as they expand. I'd just be happy to have it finally available in Canada. 

• Thanks for the replies so far, looking forward to getting butter this year!

•  I got some about a year ago. It was good quality but too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis.

• CycloneCyclone rich in satisfats

I buy Organic Meadows, it's easy to get both salted and unsalted @ $10 per pound at Loblaws.

It is 100% grass fed in the summer months, so one could stock up and freeze it for the winter. Although at the rate my house goes through butter we don't have the freezer space. In the winter the cows are fed hay with some organic non GMO grains.

I wish we had some affordable options for the winter months in Canada.

• edited April 2014

From Organic Meadows' FAQ : 

''With that said not all our the cows are 100% grass fed - it is up to the producer [Organic Meadow is a coop of over 100 farmers] to work within the standard that 60% of their diet has to be grass, although many of our producers feed their cows nearly 100%.''

Can't really be called grass fed, unless you like playing lottery.

Hmmm maybe I got them mixed up with another brand...

Grass-fed butter is slim pickins in Canada anyways.

• So the solution with Brooker's is simple: I'll talk to my MCT Oil supplier, and see if he can ship chilled goods to other areas of the country for a reasonable price. Then we buy bulk, and go from there. He lives in Ontario, and does a fair bit of shipping.

If there's enouugh interest from people here, who would like to go ahead with an idea of this sort, I'll introduce the topic to him. See what he says about it.
    I live in Toronto as well, i've been thinking of checking them out to stock up on grass fed beef. Although I dont know what would be involved with shipping butter.
  • edited April 2014

So the solution with Brooker's is simple: I'll talk to my MCT Oil supplier, and see if he can ship chilled goods to other areas of the country for a reasonable price. Then we buy bulk, and go from there. He lives in Ontario, and does a fair bit of shipping.

If there's enouugh interest from people here, who would like to go ahead with an idea of this sort, I'll introduce the topic to him. See what he says about it.

I like Brooker's initiative, but their supply is pretty limited right now, and the prices are very high...

Read up here : http://www.brookersmeat.com/butter-update

We need to convert the Brookersmeat people to our BP cult. The grass-fed butter must flow... The butter extends life. The butter expands consciousness. He who controls the butter, controls the universe!

• FYI: This is an email that I received from Organic Meadow, a few months ago, when I asked them about the state of their grass-fed-ness.

"

Good afternoon Garrett:

Thank you for writing to us.

Our cows are free roaming on grassy pastures during the warm months starting as soon as the grass has grown long enough for the cows to eat.  Many of our farmers have their cows on 22 hour turn out (come in only to be milked) between May and November.  In the winter the cows still go outside, weather permitting, as it is required within the Canadian Organic Regime (federal standard) that the cows get outdoor access year round.  With that said not all our the cows are 100% grass fed - it is up to the producer to work within the standard that 60% of diet in summer has to be grass.  Many of our producers feed their cows nearly 100% pasture.  Also, some of our farmers ferment their hay, allowing the cows to feed on the grass even out of season.  Any grains that the cows are supplemented with come from 100% certified organic sources and often come directly from the same farm.  The grains are GMO free. 

We like our members to create a complete system on their farms.  What this means is that all of the feed for the cows is produced on farm, and then the manure is properly composted and applied back onto the crops.  This, with proper crop rotation will allow the farm to run sustainably.  The type of grains and legumes each producer feed their cows depends on what can be grown in their fields.

The milk is used in all Organic Meadow dairy products including butter.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Kathy Ecclestone

Customer Service"

• I have been using Organic Meadows and L'Ancetre, as those are the closest available grass-fed butter products I can get in the Edmonton area. But, if there is still interest in this area regarding the unsalted butter from NZ, I would most definitely be interested as well. I know a few people who would be as well.

• I discovered today in Toronto that Loblaws is now carrying Rolling Meadows 100% grass fed butter, milk and yogourt (in the healthfood section).  The price for butter is a little less than Organic Meadows--Rolling Meadows $4.99 for 250g as opposed to Org. Meadows $9.99 for 454g.  Taste, colour and texture almost the same--RM possibly a bit creamier, but hard to say.  Both are good products, and now there is a bit more choice in the regular grocery store. It seems the word on grass fed is getting heard in the mainstream!

• Great News! Can I ask which Loblaws location you went to? Thanks!

I discovered today in Toronto that Loblaws is now carrying Rolling Meadows 100% grass fed butter, milk and yogourt (in the healthfood section).  The price for butter is a little less than Organic Meadows--Rolling Meadows $4.99 for 250g as opposed to Org. Meadows $9.99 for 454g.  Taste, colour and texture almost the same--RM possibly a bit creamier, but hard to say.  Both are good products, and now there is a bit more choice in the regular grocery store. It seems the word on grass fed is getting heard in the mainstream!

• My local Loblaws is the Market Loblaws store on Musgrave--basically, at Victoria Park and Gerrard.  They have a really good, and good-sized natural foods and vitamin section.