Training For A Marathon And Bulletproof Rflp

I am training for the Boston Marathon and have gained 22lbs in 12 months, I feel very heavy and would like to lose some of this weight before Boston.  Can I do the RFLP whilst training?  I have managed to do some 15 mile runs on Bulletproof coffee alone and whilst being in deep ketosis.  I am going through Menopause and suspect that is the reason for the weigh gain.  Obviously I run better when lighter, overall I am looking to lose 30lbs to be at ideal weight.

Comments

• I wouldn't even think of doing long distance cardio, it is so damaging to the body. 

• Thank you Lloyd James Powell.  The Podcast is briliant

• Hi Kathy, how is your training going for the marathon? I know a lot of people avoid the long distance training because of some of the negative effects on health, but truth is, some people, myself included, love endurance sports! What kind of program are you following? What are your eating habits like? 

• It's warming up in Minneapolis... and with the warm weather comes my desire to run 6-10 miles in the heat. I love it. This will be the first time I attempt to run on a low carb diet. 

Hi Kathy, how is your training going for the marathon? I know a lot of people avoid the long distance training because of some of the negative effects on health, but truth is, some people, myself included, love endurance sports! What kind of program are you following? What are your eating habits like? 

Personal blog: http://SoSoDynamo.com
  • Welcome to the forum, Kathy and SuperiorAthletes.  Please let the moderators know if there is anything we can do to assist you.

Regards,

BP Moderator

• It's warming up in Minneapolis... and with the warm weather comes my desire to run 6-10 miles in the heat. I love it. This will be the first time I attempt to run on a low carb diet. 

I'm a bit more north than you, and I know what you mean! "Warm" weather is a funny statement. It's probably still below freezing in the twin cities!? I'm a cyclist, and compete at an international/national level, on a low carb diet. Are you following a training plan? I'm guessing you're in a "base" phase, with lower intensity runs right now. It gets pretty interesting and fun when you start ramping up, especially when you throw in high intensity, anaerobic intervals (strides, VO2max work, even threshold runs), as a lower carb diet is good, timing is EVERYTHING! I'd be happy to offer some tips or answer to specific questions, as I am a certified coach with a few years experience in the lower carb world. 

• I'm quite the opposite. I just finished four months of zero cardio of any kind. Now, I'm easing back into it with some very low intensity and short bike rides - at the gym. I'm a below average hobbyist, so I have no real plan for training. Although, I did learn that a couple strps of bacon before, during and after a race is the best thing ever.

I'm a bit more north than you, and I know what you mean! "Warm" weather is a funny statement. It's probably still below freezing in the twin cities!? I'm a cyclist, and compete at an international/national level, on a low carb diet. Are you following a training plan? I'm guessing you're in a "base" phase, with lower intensity runs right now. It gets pretty interesting and fun when you start ramping up, especially when you throw in high intensity, anaerobic intervals (strides, VO2max work, even threshold runs), as a lower carb diet is good, timing is EVERYTHING! I'd be happy to offer some tips or answer to specific questions, as I am a certified coach with a few years experience in the lower carb world. 

• Hi Tony, it's great to hear from someone who love endurance sports, I think we all have a choice and that should be respected.  My training is going really well, I did my "longest" training run yesterday 18.5 miles on Bulletproof coffee alone, the actual scheduled run was 15.5miles but I was feeling so good I decided to get the LONGEST run out the way.

I am following an on-line training plan was asics.....not long to go.

• Kathy - Was that a wake up, drink coffee, go run? Or are you fasting for hours before running?

Hi Tony, it's great to hear from someone who love endurance sports, I think we all have a choice and that should be respected.  My training is going really well, I did my "longest" training run yesterday 18.5 miles on Bulletproof coffee alone, the actual scheduled run was 15.5miles but I was feeling so good I decided to get the LONGEST run out the way.

I am following an on-line training plan was asics.....not long to go.