Protective Genes And Life Expectancies.

With life expectancies of less than 100, can a person that lives longer be just down to their genes and good luck? Here on the BP diet we try to reduce the risk of disease by hacking our bodies and bettering ourselves. We do this mostly by what we eat or avoid, how we cook it and taking additional supplements.

Does it really matter though as our biological makeup already has the protective genes that make us resilient in the first place. It has been shown that "centenarians" had roughly the same number of high risk genes as the rest of the population. Their protective genes were just more. So does being BP increase these protective genes or are we just delaying the inevitable the best we can with what we have already?

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I think it's hard to say. Haven't really got much to go off of here, as the BP diet is relatively new. Studies would have to be conducted, detailing our lives, specific hacks, etc, and only in a few decades could we really know for certain whether this diet will lead to any notable increases in longevity.

The way I see it, so long as I don't end up in a freak accident, I'm probably boosting my lifespan at least a few years beyond the norm by eating this way and employing various of the recommended hacks that circulate within this community. Some may very well help me live longer, but that isn't really my goal in the end. I want to improve my quality of life. I'm 25 now, so maybe I'll only be around another 50 years, or less. Advancements in technology and bio-hacking techniques/diet may increase my time left to another 75 years or beyond. I'm not really sure, and ultimately, we're kind of on the bleeding edge of health and science research here. Half the stuff we experiment with hasn't been done before, and we have no way of knowing what the long-term effects could be. Heck, there could be some compound in a common component of the BP diet, hitherto considered benign, that could lead to us all dying at 50 or something. Who knows!

But yeah. A long life is great, but a life of great quality is ultimately my aim. Luck and genes play a role, sure. But you can hack luck, by putting yourself in a good position to capitalize on good fortune when it arrives. And genes? Well, genes are important, but they aren't our destiny. There's some wiggle room there, as we all know.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• NickatNickat
    edited May 2014
    Living well or having a great quality of life is without doubt most peoples ultimate aim. As a collective of individuals who are paleo or at best BP in the forum don`t you often ask yourself:

" Why some people can smoke, don't exercise and eat all the wrong foods (do not take supplements) still get to live to an old age?"

It`s gotta be in the genes right? That`s more than luck or is it?

For example:

Maybe people that smoke have higher risk-taking personalities and rather than: "The effects of tobacco"...it correlates to the fact that smokers die earlier than nonsmokers because of their risk taking. Just a thought and not a medical inquiry btw.

Poor nutrition supplementation too is common practice especially as we get older and yet some die earlier through horrid diseases etc...

So what is preventative? Is it worth trying to be preventative or is it down to:

"Hey, I got the preventative gene" now that`s good luck!

Gotta say our genes do make a huge difference to our longevity and I`d like to think that our lifestyle choices will make a difference too. Surely it can`t be a freak accident some people have more protective genes then others though?

"Maybe it is".
  • edited March 2014

Epigenetics, the study of inheritable changes in DNA expression, is continually showing us the vital importance of lifestyle* in how our body works. 

http://discovermagazine.com/2006/nov/cover

Although lifestyle* is only one part of the equation, both doctors and everyday people are starting to realize just how crucial it is. 

You have to wager that it plays a huge role in life expectancy, especially considering the protective steps we're taking and the technology we're using is historically groundbreaking. No one can predict what all these protective measures we're taking will have on life expectancy- it's a crap shoot.

But I'd like to think that it buys us significantly more time to reach a point where there are proven methods for life extension!

*Lifestyle used as an all-encompassing word for diet, activities, thoughts, micronutrients, supplementation and technology utilization

Biohacking Twitter

Biology Hacker Blog

[twitter]BiologyHacker[/twitter]

• Anyone like to comment on how their DNA expression has changed through lifestyle changes? Particularly interested in how heredity DNA has changed.