Mct Keeping You In Ketosis Even With Slightly Higher Carbs

I understand you can mix MCT or Brain Octane to meals higher in carbs and it will still allow you stay in ketosis.  The example I've heard Dave talk about is sushi/rice with MCT oil.

I like to juice vegetables to get my micro-nutrients up there.  Spinach, celery, cucumber, tomato, lemon juice.  It's a big juice, around 40 oz. and has about 20g of carbs total.  I'm trying to stay in keto so I can burn fat for fuel, because I'm over 100 pounds from my goal weight.

Question: can I add MCT oil to my juice and still stay in ketosis?  And if so about how much MCT oil would counter the carbs of a 20g juice?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Answer: You can possibly can stay in ketosis, although I don't think it matters either way.  Nobody can tell you how much MCT oil works for your body. 

Honestly if you have 100lbs to go, this level of minutia isn't worth the effort. 

• ok, so what I'm thinking about doing is just testing it.  like you said every body is different.  I can put some in there and test the next day to see if I'm still in ketosis.  

the bulletproof diet says to get like 11 servings of veggies a day ... that's gonna be more eating than I can do since I'm only gonna be eating like 2 meals a day plus coffee.

• Blended soups are an easy way to get tons of veggies in your diet.  Much better than juice in my opinion.

• edited March 2014
    "Ingestion of MCT oil will result in significant ketosis even if consumed with carbohydrates, although this MCT-induced ketone production may not be associated with the full spectrum of metabolic benefits associated with carbohydrate-restricted keto-adaptation. Thus, we do not encourage use of MCT oil. That said, however, neither do we discourage consuming foods that naturally contain MCT."---

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2012-06-15). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (Kindle Locations 1247-1250). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition. 

If I understand that passage from the book correctly you can use MCT oil to help keep you in ketosis while you are increasing your carbohydrates but you cannot depend on it. You cannot expect to measure your ketone levels in your urine, blood, or on your breath accurately after ingesting MCT oil. To say it in another way I think you can blow yourself out of ketosis by eating to many carbs even while you're taking MCT oil and all the while you're testing positively for ketones.

(spoiler alert) this book, and its prequel, basically state that it can be difficult to get back into ketosis quickly, even for those people that have been keto-adapted for a long period of time. It could take as much time as it took you to get into ketosis in the first place. 

It's a great book I recommend it. I laughed, I cried, and you'll never ever guess whodunit!

• What it means is that MCT induced ketosis might not bring all the benefits as "real" ketosis. The ketogen adaptation without MCT differs from MCT induced. If you eat to much carb when using MCT you will break the real ketosis but you will not see this since keto sticks still show ketones due to the MCT.

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

•  

I like to juice vegetables to get my micro-nutrients up there.  Spinach, celery, cucumber, tomato, lemon juice.  It's a big juice, around 40 oz. and has about 20g of carbs total.  I'm trying to stay in keto so I can burn fat for fuel, because I'm over 100 pounds from my goal weight.

You can eat vegetables on the BP diet, it's part of it and you should be doing it. I wouldn't be worried about the carbs from this try of food. What I would be worried about is if I was posting your same post trying to counter carbs when you were eating toast or say some processed food for example lol. That