Fruit Craving

I'm sure most of you are at the point in your diet where your over the sweets, as am I, but often times I crave grapefruit and blueberries so much around the afternoon and throughout the night. Do any of you use fruit and it helps with weight loss, or do you find it very inhibiting? Also, it is said to add more fat when you eat carbs, but is the same for when eating fruit? 

Tagged:

Comments

• if you can keep it to a serving or two a day, fruit isn't a problem

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Fruit's sugar will probably take you out of ketosis. If you don't eat enough to spike your blood sugar, and therefore insulin, it's not likely to make you gain fat. You'll notice that the fruits that are most green / highest on the bulletproof diet infographic are lower sugar fruits. Blueberries and grapefruit are a little less green / lower.

I've noticed that the frozen wild blueberries in the freezer at the grocery store have a lot less sugar on their nutrition facts than the regular blueberries. I'm not sure if wild blueberries would be higher on the infographic due to their lower sugar content (maybe there's some other reason they are less than optimal) but you could experiment with wild blueberries for your craving. The problem with cravings, of course, is that you'll want to eat a lot of them.

• I am by no means 100% BP, but i do follow the macro-nutrient ratio that Dave suggests on the BP infographic. I personally try to do 15-20% carbs/protein and 60-70% healthy fats. So on about a 2000 calorie/day diet I shoot for 75-100g carbs. I remember reading somewhere(maybe on the old info graphic)that Dave recommends 100-150g of carbs per day.

I don't understand why so many think that the presence of a little glucose/fructose is going to totally knock one out of  ketosis.

I believe that on one of the "not just paleo" podcasts with John Brisson, John recommended that you shouldn't exceed 40g of fructose a day (because of demand on the liver, nothing to do with ketosis). Nutritiondata.self.com has 1 cup of blueberries as 15g total sugar 7.5g glucose 7.5fructose.

So if it fits in your macro-nutrient ratio go for it, your body needs some glucose. I eat a banana a day and I'm still losing weight.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• hybridhybrid Cateye vs Isolation

Don't trust me too much on this, but I remember fructose being esepcially good at knocking you out of ketosis, it replenishes the glucose in the liver preferentially. Lyle McDonald was big on these things in his ketogenic diet books. TKD from back in the day.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I guess if ketosis is your goal, then you'll want to go real light on the fruit. Nothing wrong with a piece occasionally, but you might want to couple it with a bit of MCT oil to help and counteract the sugar. I THINK this could help you stay (sort of) in ketosis. Or at least it'd help you get back into ketosis faster.

On the other hand, sometimes these cravings are your body trying to tell you something. If it's been a long time since a carb refeed or since you've had fruit, having a serving or two may be a good idea. Most fruits are pretty nutritious, and there are benefits to eating them. Just don't eat like a whole bag of apples or an entire pineapple or something haha.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Thank you guys! This helped a lot!

• Should we eat fat with fructose to hinder insulin spikes as we do with other sugars in carbs?