Small Bp Veg Garden.

HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!

What type of veg would you grow? I know nothing about this. Bullet proof bang for your buck veg.

Easy, can be grown at a rental home possibly in buckets some non permanent enclosure.

I live in Boise ID BTW so no tropical suggestions :)

Thanks folks

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

Comments

• I was hoping someone would start a forum on this.  I'd probably go heavy on herbs in summer (parsley, basil, cilantro).  Broccoli, kale, squash in the winter.

• Great timing! I'm keen to start planting as well.

Working through what soil, compost etc to create before planting.

I'm planning on growing, parsley, cilantro, carrots, leeks and spinach to start with.

Look forward to all sharing as we plan our gardens!
  • Kale is one of the easiest veggies to grow. It actually prefers cooler temperatures and it comes out nice when planning harvests more towards the fall. For beginners, I would definitely recommend growing a ton of herbs! They are extremely easy to grow, they enjoy full sunlight exposure. If you have a balcony you can turn it into a herb garden haha. During the summer, I grow a ton of basil, rosemary, mint, parsley and sage and then freeze whatever I don't use for the winter months. Some other easy veggies are cucumbers and zucchini. I live in southern Ontario so the growing season is pretty short, but when you get to eat fresh veg from the garden its pretty awesome!

• I have an organic garden each year.  One of my most favorite plant to eat (lightly steamed) is pigweed (Lamb's quarters) and I don't even have to plant it!  One year I grew a cross between a cucumber and a honeydew but haven't figured out how it happened or how to do it again.  Purslane (Wild Portulaca) is another plant that grows wild in my garden and I'm wondering how BP it is?

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Kale is one of the easiest veggies to grow. It actually prefers cooler temperatures and it comes out nice when planning harvests more towards the fall. For beginners, I would definitely recommend growing a ton of herbs! They are extremely easy to grow, they enjoy full sunlight exposure. If you have a balcony you can turn it into a herb garden haha. During the summer, I grow a ton of basil, rosemary, mint, parsley and sage and then freeze whatever I don't use for the winter months. Some other easy veggies are cucumbers and zucchini. I live in southern Ontario so the growing season is pretty short, but when you get to eat fresh veg from the garden its pretty awesome!

Haven't tried Kale yet, and since I live in Southern Ontario as well it seems like a perfect addition. Thanks for the tip. Ever tried growing a few pumpkins?

This is the ultimate goal :

aquaponic-system-drawing-905x581.jpg

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I have an organic garden each year.  One of my most favorite plant to eat (lightly steamed) is pigweed (Lamb's quarters) and I don't even have to plant it!  One year I grew a cross between a cucumber and a honeydew but haven't figured out how it happened or how to do it again.  Purslane (Wild Portulaca) is another plant that grows wild in my garden and I'm wondering how BP it is?

i would think that purslane is high in oxalic acid just from the tart flavor.  i've never tried cooking it, though.  lambsquarters (or quelites as it is called here in new mexico) is one of my favorites as well.  another common edible weed is mallow or malva.

• I'm thinking of following this video to prep for our balcony vegie/ herb garden.

http://www.thewellnesswarrior.com.au/2013/09/wellness-warrior-tv-planting-balcony-herb-garden/

Any issues with any of the ingredients they are using?
  • I just threw in a bunch of stinging nettles, by far my favorite green, whenever its in season I eat as much as I can. just put in hot water for a while, butter it up, and drink the juice. they grow crazy easy and come back every year, as well as going to go with a lot of cruciferous veggies, and a big fat row of generaly salad greens to snack on. but stinging nettles are my fav.

• Nope, haven't tried growing pumpkins. Don't have the space! By the way, if you are planning on growing kale, try making some "compost tea" or "worm juice", it will help to increase your yields by a ton. Basically adding a bunch of good stuff to your plants by watering them with worm juice.

Here's a pretty good video on how to make it.