Pre-Workout?

Hey all,

I do heavy strength training about 4 times a week. 

When I get home from work around 5 and immediately go to workout, I sometimes feel tired and not up for working out.

And it's to late for caffeine pre-workout, so what should I do?

What do you guys do pre-work to tear the gym apart?!

Comments

• Why the glutamine and baking soda? Creatine before? does it matter if you take it before or after?

• One scoop of protein?  Where is all of the Serious Mass?  What about your pre-workout burrito?  I dunno, man.

• 1 scoop whey, 5g bcaa, 10g glutamine, 5g creatine, 5g baking soda, 1 scoop Allmax muscle prime, 1500mg acetyl L-carnitine.

You take the Allmax even though it's other ingredients are "Maltodextrin, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Citric Acid, Sucralose, FD&C Red And Blue." ? 

Doesn't seem very BP. 

• HotspoonsHotspoons
    edited March 2014

Ive recently been experimenting with trying to peak my energy for this time and for me at least it largely depends on my carb intake the night before... Following Kiefer's carb backloading principles.. Right after training the night before I spike insulin with protein and some simple carbs, to load liver glycogen to spike insulin for muscle growth, what I do afterwards is all to load glycogen to my muscles for the next day, this works a treat, Im always really up for training heavy the night after I load carbs (sweet potato usually).. its as Bp as I can get for power output so far.. 

Otherwise I used to use gaspari superpump... I had to be dragged away from the gym although its not very Bp...  There are a number of No2 supplements.. I took Dorian Yates pre workout a couple of years ago i felt like I'd taken e till about 1am... Ha..! So use caution with those badboys!! 

ps... Black coffee always works a treat too

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• Ive recently been experimenting with trying to peak my energy for this time and for me at least it largely depends on my carb intake the night before... Following Kiefer's carb backloading principles.. Right after training the night before I spike insulin with protein and some simple carbs, to load liver glycogen to spike insulin for muscle growth, what I do afterwards is all to load glycogen to my muscles for the next day, this works a treat, Im always really up for training heavy the night after I load carbs (sweet potato usually).. its as Bp as I can get for power output so far.. 

Otherwise I used to use gaspari superpump... I had to be dragged away from the gym although its not very Bp...  There are a number of No2 supplements.. I took Dorian Yates pre workout a couple of years ago i felt like I'd taken e till about 1am... Ha..! So use caution with those badboys!! 

ps... Black coffee always works a treat too

Thanks man! 

I wish I could use black coffee, but the only time I can train is 5 pm because of my job. So that's well after the recommended 2pm stop time for caffeine. 

• joeld123joeld123
    edited March 2014

I got some choc covered espresso beans for xmas on year and when feeling run down got into taking 5 before my workouts.  I think the high was over the workout so I still slept ok...   That and some heavy music had me ripping it up in the gym.  I hear tell that BP has something of the like, it'd be BP and get you moving no doubt.

by the by, this acetyl L-carnitine, does it taste terrible?

• For the glutamine and creatine, I take them before and after because they are cheap and I don't have to worry about if I'm timing them properly if I cover all the bases. Bicarbonate is a lactic acid buffer.

I'm going to have to try  the baking soda! Seems like a cheap biohack that can improve workouts. Have you noticed much of a difference?

• How much Baking soda do you start with? Do you just by regular baking soda? It really helps?

• vikiviki
    edited March 2014
    Hi guys im new here but im very interested for that mix with b.soda...thank u
  • StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress ✭✭

Hey all,

I do heavy strength training about 4 times a week. 

When I get home from work around 5 and immediately go to workout, I sometimes feel tired and not up for working out.

And it's to late for caffeine pre-workout, so what should I do?

What do you guys do pre-work to tear the gym apart?!

=====

Does anyone have a "mental warm-up" to psyche yourself into your workout?

I've recently returned to doing the BBS workout and my first one totally sucked as I wasn't mentally with it. 

It occurred to me that I need some kind of routine before getting into the gym so I'm really pumped and ready to lift!

Does anyone do this? What do you do?

• I would start with 1/2 tsp and increase by 1/2 tsp's each time until you have a negative reaction (upset stomach/diarrhea) if you drink it while it's still actively foaming then you will become the volcano science fair project from school.

Just regular orange box baking soda?

• drumminangoleirodrumminangoleiro ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014

=====

Does anyone have a "mental warm-up" to psyche yourself into your workout?

I've recently returned to doing the BBS workout and my first one totally sucked as I wasn't mentally with it. 

It occurred to me that I need some kind of routine before getting into the gym so I'm really pumped and ready to lift!

Does anyone do this? What do you do?

yeah i've kind of wondered this myself. the BBS book really doesn't give much input on warming up other than that they think stretching is useless (although my own experience tells me differently). i usually do my BBS sessions after i teach my kids capoeira class, so i've already been moving around a bit. i also drink an extra cup of coffee even though its after 2pm. i try to pick some music that amps me up a bit on the way to the gym. but yeah, when i told my friend who lifts about the BBS approach he was like "geez, only 15 minutes, you better be warmed up majorly then". 

• That interesting on the baking soda. Have never heard or thought of that before. 

I realy really try to make my workouts count these days and have the best focus and energy going in to them. I have also been experimenting with this for some time now.  It has been changing for me. I used to eat a decent meal about 45 misn before working out, but have changed this now.

What i do is..

1. ENSURE a good nights rest on the night before working out.

2. No IF on the days of working out. Carbs are part of this day (fine for me with BBS as its only one day).

3. Try to workout at 4pm. I can't remember why to be honest, but a long time ago, i remember reading a study by Craig Ballantyne (the turbulence training guy) that said optimal energy in the day is 4pm. I will have to dig that up again to get the sources.

4. I eat a medium sized meal 2 hours before working it. It has plenty of lower glycemic carbs and protein and fats. Usually its a sweet potato (mashed with cinnamon and lots of butter), small serving of grass fed beef, and a few greens.

5. 30 mins prior to training, I take Betancourt Nutrition - Bullnox Androrush Pre-Workout Formula (be careful with this stuff, as its mega, mega, potent).

6. Right before leaving to go (about 25 mins later) I crunch back a couple of coffee beans and cacao beans (about 4 of each), take a small spoonful of raw honey, and drink lots of water.

Five minutes later i am in the gym. I have a playlist with only 10 of my all time fav energy songs.

Then I just tell myself.. its only once per week... so MAKE IT COUNT!

• Drummin. It is hard for me to not warmup, just coming from an old school mentality that you should do some mild cardio unti you JUST start to break a sweet, and then do a few warmups sets before diving in to the full.

What I see with BBS, is McGuff points out a few things that the warming up (in addition) to stretching have no viable data in sports literature to support any benefit or reduction in injury. 

So in addition to that, if there is any place where I see it not being needed though, it would be in a BBS workout where you are using machines and going super slow. I just don't see how anyone could ever get injured, ever, doing this workout. So even if stretching and warming up proved highly effective for a standard workout, don't see how it would be beneficial for this one.

Even though there is no data to support it, it "makes sense" to me to stretch and/or warm up for a standard style of traditional workout, or even a cross fit type.

That being said.. i still actually do a mild warmup before a BBS (very mild cardio). For no reason other than I have had it ingrained in my head for so long, and also as I feel it gives me a little more energy.