Dropshipping - Selling On Ebay

BPBryanBPBryan
edited July 2014 in Wealth Hacking

Not sure if anyone has discussed Dropshipping before so wanted to start a thread about it.

Dropshipping is basically taking a product on Amazon then listing it on ebay for a 15-20% higher selling price. When the item sells, you buy it from Amazon and ship it to the person who buys it off ebay. If the item doesn't sell, you don't pay anything.

A few close friends of mine have been making money selling things on eBay through Amazon and I've been doing it for a month and have made a few sales on it. Currently I've made 8 sales and have a profit of $42 from about an hour worth of work. This definitely isn't get rich quick or completely passive income. My goal is to just make about $200-300 per month which is realistic.

The site is called DS Domination: Here is my updated site: www.saleswithbryan.com

- There are two ways to make money

1. You can take the knowledge you gain from the training and sell on ebay

2. You can promote the company and gain commissions from getting others to join

The pros:

• Cancel anytime
  • You don't have to sign anybody else up to make money. You can take the knowledge you learn from the site, cancel your membership, then go sell items on ebay by yourself if you want.
  • No capital needed except $20 a month. If you want to promote the business (optional), its an extra $10.
  • If you do sign someone else up, you keep 50% of the fees they pay to join
  • Everything you sell on ebay is 100% yours, there is no tie between DS Domination and your sales on ebay
  • Excellent Training videos that teach you techinical aspects of everything you need to do to make money
  • Potential to make a sale and profit within the first day (it took me two days to make my first sale)

The cons:

• It sounds scammish
  • It looks scammish
  • Takes a bit of time to get higher selling limits on ebay
  • Prices fluctuate on Amazon (but there are resources to track item prices)
  • You have to join by referral

If anyone is interested, check the video out in the link or post if you have any questions. You can also message me: Bryan.Adkison@gmail.com

http://dsdomination.com/sp/pro?aid=DrBA1987

Comments

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I love drop-shipping! I have one book and one CD that I have been running on Amazon UK for about 6 years now. I list it on Amazon for sale and when an order comes through I just buy the item from the original manufacturer's own public online store and send it to the purchaser. Its so easy and in that time I would have made over 1,000 pounds profit. The hardest part is finding an item with a decent margin, I just got lucky finding these.

The CD I sell doesn't sell very often, but when it does I make about 90 pounds from one sale!

• HotspoonsHotspoons
    edited March 2014

So you just keep the item on sale all the time at the higher price? is that correct? 

Do you have to pay the fees to list it?

edit: I just noticed you said Amazon, sorry! 

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• @Stevo ; I've sold the same product 3 times and just relist it every time I sell it. There are resources on the website that helps you find products that others have sold for larger margins than just a few dollars.

@Hotspoons ; Yes, you keep the item on sale the whole time at the higher price where you will make a profit if it sells. No, you don't pay for any listing fees. You only pay fees if an item sells.

Yep just pay when it sells! I just put 100 in my inventory so it doesn't run out. If I can't purchase for some reason I can just cancel the order. It works really well.

Also, my price is lower than the Amazon RRP, so everyone wins!
  • Thats good... 

I've just opened a seller account on Amazon.. 

Ok, how about go to a site that has a huge clearance offer on , and list their products for a marked up price, then when the offer is over remove them..? 

Is that the gist?? ha Sounds devious!! I love it! ha

\m/(>.<)\m/ www.trucke.co.uk - my rockband!! \m/(>.<)\m/

• It sounds devious but that is what wholesaling is.

You could find clearance items but there are a bunch of variables you would have to control and a few things that work against this approach.

1- If the clearance is only for a few days, it reduces the exposure of the item on ebay and thus less likely someone would buy it in a very short time frame. And it also involves more work for you in listing and item that has a smaller chance of selling.

2- The site may charge shipping and sales tax for all states on the clearance items, which reduce the margin you can make. (Reselling items from Amazon that include free shipping and sales tax for only 20 or so states is ideal.)

3- I also think that a consumer is more willing to buy a clearance item when they see it on that website at the time, rather than research it and look for other prices ebay. Typically it is better to sell items that you can list for the full 30 days which ebay allows.

• Some people use an amazon prime account to ship, then sell on ebay. Obviously amazon frowns on this, but it works for low volume.tjey ban you for high volume. The trick is to send stuff as a gift, and there is minimal amazon markings.

Every once in a while I come across feedback on eBay were someone complains that "this jerk just sells stuff from Amazon"
  • True, amazon is against using amazon prime for dropshipping but they aren't against dropshipping in general. There are millions of products to choose from that are free shipping but don't violate amazon prime terms. Totally legal and welcomed.

Try ordering an item you would sell so you can see how it comes to you. I tried a place once and they would include the invoice even though I said not to!
  • That's a good idea. I haven't tried that. I'm sure some people would mind seeing the invoice or packing list, but most people wouldn't even look or care. Consumers aren't always rational.

Once I tried listing DVD box-sets on Amazon UK that were for sale on CDWOW.com that had around a 10 pound difference. It worked for a little while but CDWOW kept changing their prices, so it was a big job to stay on top of it. I had to cancel a few orders then I stopped it after a while.

It seems to be more worthwhile on larger items. Bluray boxsets are better than single DVDs for example. Larger items would be even better. 

Once I was even selling blank DVD cases to a photography studio in London and getting them delivered from an online website. I was making a few hundred per month on that one! Dropshipping doesn't have to be purely online.

• BPBryanBPBryan
    edited March 2014

The good thing about primarily using Amazon is that there are resources that can track any price changes.

www.camelcamelcamel.com works for me. The website is geared towards notifying when a price drops below a certain amount or percentage, but I use it to see if the any price has gone up. You can track hundreds of products and it only takes only a few seconds to see what items have changed during the day.

• Can ebay ask you for proof of stock/invoices and close your sellers account if you don't produce them?

The item that the buyer receives will have documents that show the package is not from you, can this be negated? 

What happens if the buyer has an issue with his product/damaged goods?

• Proof of Stock - I haven't heard that ebay would ever do this. Ebay is very aware of Dropshipping. You typically don't list multiple quantities of items either. Just one of each item.

Buyer receiving documents - Yes, you ship items as gifts so there is just a packing slip with no pricing information.

Product Issue/Damages goods - You accept the returns and ask the buyer to ship it back to the address you prefer (which is an amazon address so you never see or touch the product). Typically you can send them a return address label and they use it to ship it back to amazon. This is beneficial because sometimes you can make a profit for returns as well by asking them to cover the shipping cost of returning the item.

First 20 days worth of sales, about 3 hours worth of work. Volume of Sales - $1,042.87 - Profit - $65.52.

• BPBryanBPBryan
    edited July 2014

Took me 144 days to reach $25K in sales volume, with close to $9K in past 60 days. Profit about $1,500.

Useful link: www.dubli.com 

This site allows you to receive cashback on a bunch of purchases online. Think of it as ebates on steriods!

• Interesting. I had definitely been thinking about the possibilities of racking up airline reward points, ebates or whatnot from all that purchasing. Investigating drop-shipping is on my to-do list, once I've finished some other projects and freed up the time.

How much time of working (and learning the system) would you estimate it took to make that $1,500? I'm very curious.

• Yea, there is also a credit card I have that gives me 10% cash back. 5% by using their link page to the suppliers sites and 5% for using their card. This takes care of much of the eBay fees and competition on ebay so you can sell your items for lower and quicker.

Learning the system at the beginning stages: 1-3 hours of watching videos and following up with any unclear process.

Working on applying the knowledge - for me about 3-5 hours a week for a little over 4 months. Some people I know doing this put in more hours and have much more success.

• Which credit card?

• Which credit card?

PM me and write me your email address. I will send you the link.

• 6 Month Update:

Your total sales:

Total sales amount: $24,788.05

Total transactions: 168

Overall profit: $1,470.60

Profit Per Month

March

$        51.72

April

$        44.57

May

$     139.72

June

$     106.97

July

$     252.86

August

$     160.15

Current Total

$  1,470.97
  • RekaReka ✭✭✭

6 Month Update:

Your total sales:

Profit Per Month   March  $        51.72 April  $        44.57 May  $     139.72 June  $     106.97 July  $     252.86 August  $     160.15                     Current Total  $  1,470.97

Wow. Nice!

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• What was your time investment for that $1,470.60?

6 Month Update:

Your total sales:

Profit Per Month   March  $        51.72 April  $        44.57 May  $     139.72 June  $     106.97 July  $     252.86 August  $     160.15                     Current Total  $  1,470.97

• Wow this seems so ludicrously simple, I'm annoyed I haven't stumbled upon it sooner.

BPBryan, you're introductory how-to video  was so concise I'm pretty much ready to get started. If I struggle I'll sign up to your site for sure.

I plan on doing as you described and just sell Amazon items on Ebay for now. Do I need a specific Ebay account or just the standard one?

• seems great until you get hit with all the fees from ebay and paypal. 10% from ebay, and 2.9% + 30cents from paypal.

30 dollar sale on ebay -

30 - 3 = 27

30 * 2.9% - .3 = 28.83

4.17 total in fees.. The product would have to be less than 25.83 from Amazon if you are selling it on Ebay for 30.00.

• in response to my previous post, it seems a good idea would be to get paypal cash back card. eliminates some of the cost from fees. this could be an ok side gig if you find a good consistent product that sells. you wont make any real money unless you have a supplier from a different country basically.

• Wow this seems so ludicrously simple, I'm annoyed I haven't stumbled upon it sooner.

BPBryan, you're introductory how-to video  was so concise I'm pretty much ready to get started. If I struggle I'll sign up to your site for sure.

I plan on doing as you described and just sell Amazon items on Ebay for now. Do I need a specific Ebay account or just the standard one?

Sorry for the late reply. No, you don't need a specifc account. The most basic works well.

• in response to my previous post, it seems a good idea would be to get paypal cash back card. eliminates some of the cost from fees. this could be an ok side gig if you find a good consistent product that sells. you wont make any real money unless you have a supplier from a different country basically.

It's def a great side gig but some people can make pretty good money doing it full time. A friend of mine who got me started in this has Virtual Assistants check is invetory, respond to customers, etc so he doesn't have to and just spend time managing it. I work full time and go to school and still have time to sell on ebay/amazon. If I am busy one week, I can focus less on listing products, etc. You will always find time when you sell products (lol).

seems great until you get hit with all the fees from ebay and paypal. 10% from ebay, and 2.9% + 30cents from paypal.

30 dollar sale on ebay -

30 - 3 = 27

30 * 2.9% - .3 = 28.83

4.17 total in fees.. The product would have to be less than 25.83 from Amazon if you are selling it on Ebay for 30.00.

The Upromise Mastercard eliminates the ebay fee of 10%. This allows to lower the sellig prices which most of the other people on ebay can't do because of the fees. You will get smaller profit but make up for it in volume.

• BPBryanBPBryan
    edited January 2015

What was your time investment for that $1,470.60?

I haven't tracked this. Maybe around 3-5 hr per week.

• looking into the upromise card right now.. how does it eliminate 10% of fee? this would be great if possible

The Upromise Mastercard eliminates the ebay fee of 10%. This allows to lower the sellig prices which most of the other people on ebay can't do because of the fees. You will get smaller profit but make up for it in volume.