No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• Quickly dropping in after a long day. Much to say but excited to respond to everyone and hear what Skye has to say about chocolate. Thought I was the only one struggling with missing it. And like you, Cocoacat, thinking more critically about my intake of alcohol (why/when/where/how) has been a powerful outcome of following Skye's plan.

More tomorrow! ONWARD EVERYONE!

• So I'm on a week long business trip (I'm in sales) and am finding this extremely hard when I travel. Aside from the alcohol (agree w others that I'm at least more cognizant of, thanks Skye!) - what the he.. do you choose in a restaurant?

In Philly right now & Last night for example I had a (beef, not organic/grassfed) burger w/out the bun, with a salad ...that showed up with a 'creamy balsamic' smothered ...and given the client I felt I couldn't ask for a change (I did precocioask for dressing on the side!) I have the Epic bars and even the grassfed butter (yes!) with me.

Foods:

- are regular salads (including tomato, carrots but not dressing) ok? Hard to imagine not eating another tomato from my garden.

My carb refeeds have previously included only foods on the ok list - sweet potatoes

- while traveling are sweet potato fries ok?

- is eggplant ok?

- what do you choose off a standard 'fancy restaurant' menu?

- How do you avoid the sneaky carbs / bad canola oils / etc?

I've definitely noticed my skin clearing overall but fat loss isn't continuing while I'm traveling.

Help wanted :-)
  • Karen GKaren G
    edited October 2014

So I'm on a week long business trip (I'm in sales) and am finding this extremely hard when I travel. Aside from the alcohol (agree w others that I'm at least more cognizant of, thanks Skye!) - what the he.. do you choose in a restaurant?

In Philly right now & Last night for example I had a (beef, not organic/grassfed) burger w/out the bun, with a salad ...that showed up with a 'creamy balsamic' smothered ...and given the client I felt I couldn't ask for a change (I did precocioask for dressing on the side!) I have the Epic bars and even the grassfed butter (yes!) with me.

Foods:

- are regular salads (including tomato, carrots but not dressing) ok? Hard to imagine not eating another tomato from my garden.

My carb refeeds have previously included only foods on the ok list - sweet potatoes

- while traveling are sweet potato fries ok?

- is eggplant ok?

- what do you choose off a standard 'fancy restaurant' menu?

- How do you avoid the sneaky carbs / bad canola oils / etc?

I've definitely noticed my skin clearing overall but fat loss isn't continuing while I'm traveling.

Help wanted :smile:

krsherwood.  I travel alot too and I know that the quality of food is generally going to be bad.  So I tend to order lean instead of fatty protein with veggies and ask them to hold the dressing and sauces and ask for a pat of butter.    My go to meal is fish with veg rather than salad, even though it is probably going to be farmed.  I have also taken packs of wild alaskan salmon with me as well as boiled eggs and put them in the minibar to stay fresh.  

• krsherwood - 

i struggle with sticking to the eating plan while eating out a lot too - but if you can't cook (while on a business trip, for example) or just dont have time, you can use dave's collagen protein as a clean protein source. I can't handle any protein powder - grass fed, vegan, hemp - except the collagen. I usually mix it with flax milk (By goodkarma - NO CARAGEENAN!! :) ) or tea, and MCT oil, and get some veggies in if i can. The idea when eating out, as i understand it, is to avoid fat from unhealthy animals at all costs. Dave also talks about fat loss coming and going in waves, many bodies wont keep burning it off at a steady rate.  There are SO many variables to fat loss - sleep is a huge one, and traveling can destroy sleep quality, stalling weight loss and overall well being. Also, are you using a scale as your sole feedback mechanism? You might be losing circumference without weight due to the addition of lean body mass. If your skin is looking clearer, you are detoxing, so keep with it! Most of us are pretty toxic and our fat burning mechanisms need a good cleaning :)

• As I mentioned earlier, I recently had my blood work done by WellnessFX. It's nice to have a baseline to gauge how this new lifestyle is affecting me. The last blood test I had was a little over two years ago. I pulled out those results as well for comparison.

All of my numbers were in the healthy range (phew) except for in relation to my "blood health." I had low numbers for:

platelet count

white blood cell count

neutrophil count

and % Eosinophils

In each case, my counts are low but now super low.  I've had numbers like this in the past and my doctor was never concerned, especially since I don't show signs of infection or the diseases that can be attributed to low wbc's.

Curious if anyone on the forum has thoughts about that? Or hacks for me to improve the counts?

• Hello all :) Back home, finally made it to the grocery store and got myself unpacked etcetera. Yesterday was my official start for my 10 day carb depletion...I'm actually a little nervous about it! Mostly worried that I'll inadvertently slip up and have more than 30 g of carbs. I had some beets yesterday with dinner (organic & fresh, with a little bit of butter salt and pepper) and after I ate them it occurred to me that I'm not sure how many grams of carbs are in beets!!! Yikes! Other than that I think I did alright. I didn't realize how much I would miss my something sweet after dinner...of course having cookies AND a little ice cream the day before I started the carb depletion might not have been the best idea:) Any suggestions re. what to do to quiet that sweet tooth without screwing up my 10 day carb depletion? I have to say that other than the anxiety I felt great, I'm excited to finally be underway with this! I think I've now read your book 3 times Skye, starting on the 4th read through and still picking up good info - I'll have it memorized soon ;) One other note - I decided to switch to ghee in my BP coffee instead of butter because I noticed some of my skin allergies/excema stuff returning over the past couple of weeks. I'm not sure it was the butter since dairy typically causes a stomach problem for me and I haven't noticed that with the grass fed butter, but figured I might as well rule it out now. The things that cause my skin to go bonkers are still unclear...who knows, furnace being on when it's cold? More dust d/t furnace? Drier air? Phase of the moon???

• Hi Friends!

Like all of you, life gets quite hectic but these conversations are great and so helpful. I plan on carving out a chunk of hours so I can address each of your very valid questions and concerns specifically and thoughtfully. That being said, I just want to jump on here very quickly to address some things.

Sugar alcohols as sweeteners (xylitol and to a lesser extent erhythritol): I leave them out because Xylitol is prebiotic that can lead to leaky gut. Since most of us are on here because we have excess body fat to shed, it's more than likely our gut biome isn't the utopia we'd like it to be. Can also lead to SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth). Moreover, unless you know exactly where it's being sourced there's a good chance it's from non-GMO corn or Dupont chemical-processed hardwood. Give Sweetleaf Stevia a shot, I find the aftertaste not so bad.

Sansoucish. Congrats on beginning your journey! We're all cheering for you. I will write you more tomorrow but please refer to page 23 in the book. Carrots and beets aren't listed because of their high sugar content. Heck, if you look at some things labeled "naturally sweetened" you'll see they use beet juice pwder. Not a bad thing but for now we're trying to get our bodies fat adapted and kicking the sugar/carb addiction. It might be very helpful to add in 20g of L-Glutamine a day to help with carb/sugar/alcohol cravings. It's also great for healing infections and improving gut health. Maybe consider starting the depletion this weekend (if the pace of daily life tends to slow down for you on the weekends). Ease into it.

Traveling. It's really a bitch when trying to make healthy choices when on the road and out to eat it. Avoiding factory-farmed meat and vegetable oils is like navigating a minefield. Always take some activated charcoal before eating out so it can adsorb a bit of the toxicity you'll be ingesting. Like our other teammate on here mentioned to Kate, salads with dressing on the side are your best bets. Sweet potato fries aren't the best option even if it's your carb refeed day because you know the oil they're using to fry them in is disgusting. Do the best you can and hack your way through it. Literally. If you can, see if they will saute your fish or meat in butter only. I always have a bunch of hard boiled eggs and epic bars with me on the road. Kate, way to rock the butter with you!

Whiteelephant: be careful with the flaxmilk as that's a pretty high Omega 6 count.

Bodyfat: Everybody, please get an accurate bodyfat measurement (and not just scale number) when starting. Your body fat percentage is going to be your north star when determining if this is working for you. Scale weight will drop in the beginning but after that it's going to be in increments and the mirror, your clothes and your bodyfat are going to be your guides. TMI alert: I have PMS this week and did a carb refeed last night after a super heavy lifting session. For shits and giggles I weighed myself this morning although I felt that I looked more leaned out when I woke up. I gained 6lbs of water weight from the reffed and PMS but my bodyfat is exactly the same. No biggie. That 6lbs of water will be gone tomorrow or the next day. However, if seeing a number jump 6lbs sends you into a tailspin -- especially when you're not going by bodyfat percentage -- then for the love of all that is holy, stay off the scale. Especially after a carb refeed.

Ok, more tomorrow. You ladies rock.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Can I just say…  THANK YOU SKYE for your incredible generosity, and thank you everyone for this thread!  What a fantastic resource!

I have a question:  For some time now, I have been meaning to measure my body fat %.  But the 'home methods' seem really complicated.  Can a doctor's office do it?  Or a gym?  Can you pay someone to check with those pincher things?

Re: the road.  I travel a LOT.  I practically live on the road.  Sardines in BPA free cans are a staple, as are coconut chips and macadamia nuts, raw.  I also carry protein powders with me, (Upgraded whey+collagen, mixed with a bit of cacao, vanilla, and bee pollen) and a shaker.  If there is no better option for dinner, I shake one out.  Another thing that helps is going to a whole foods (or whatever is available) and picking up some avocados and some organic, raw kim chi or sourkraut.  If you have no convenient way to cook veggies, this is a great alternative and also very good for the gut.  MCT oil always travels with me too, as well as butter or ghee.  Hard boiled eggs are great too.

Cheers and thanks again for this thread!

• Can I just say…  THANK YOU SKYE for your incredible generosity, and thank you everyone for this thread!  What a fantastic resource!

I have a question:  For some time now, I have been meaning to measure my body fat %.  But the 'home methods' seem really complicated.  Can a doctor's office do it?  Or a gym?  Can you pay someone to check with those pincher things?

Re: the road.  I travel a LOT.  I practically live on the road.  Sardines in BPA free cans are a staple, as are coconut chips and macadamia nuts, raw.  I also carry protein powders with me, (Upgraded whey+collagen, mixed with a bit of cacao, vanilla, and bee pollen) and a shaker.  If there is no better option for dinner, I shake one out.  Another thing that helps is going to a whole foods (or whatever is available) and picking up some avocados and some organic, raw kim chi or sourkraut.  If you have no convenient way to cook veggies, this is a great alternative and also very good for the gut.  MCT oil always travels with me too, as well as butter or ghee.  Hard boiled eggs are great too.

Cheers and thanks again for this thread!

Hey mrsfloyd.  My gym has a scale that measures bodyfat as does my medical centre.  I have a Withings scale at home which also measures fat.  Between the three devices there is a 3% range, so I'm working off the higher number (the one at home) as the starting point.  If you have the cash you can also go and get a DEXA scan if you want details, ie where the fat is sitting.  Not sure where you live but you will probably find somewhere close by to you if you look on google.

• i second that, Mrsfloyd - thank you skye! 

I tried the pu-ehr tea... it made me feel a little peppier than usual. I used it in addition to the BP tea I am already doing in the morning, one hour post consumption. (This is how it is marketed for use.) So perhaps the boost was purely the extra bit of caffeine, but not worth it for me personally. 1) its pricey 2) it made me feel a little wonky, more spacey than usual. so, for anyone with a history of gut issues who doesnt do well on fermented foods, I would NOT recommend this tea. (this is confirmed elsewhere in other threads in the forum.) 

• Ellie Hales - 

I'm not sure where you're located, but IF you have access to a GOOD acupuncturist, naturopath, or functional medicine practitioner - i wouldn't go see someone without a personal recommendation - now is the time! You don't wan't to wait for something to develop, if theres an imbalance it should be addressed. Perhaps the advice in this post seems obvious, but having spent the past several years trying to recover from Lyme and a host of other imbalances I hide to chime in, on the off chance that this obvious advice could save your health a serious stumble.

I recently visited an esteemed doctor at Columbia University, who, in an effort to persuade me towards pain medication, told me that "only two types of doctors CURE things: 1) infectious disease and 2) surgeons. The rest of us," they told me, "are just managing symptoms."  My jaw literally dropped when i heard this because its so frightening and so true - I always suspected this of many doctors, but hearing them say it was a turning point in my personal journey towards health. Most MD's wont know what to do with you in the absence of symptoms of a specific disease. this is NOT to say that western medicine is bad and there are FABULOUS western docs out there! I'll get off the soap box now... this turned out much longer than my original intent! Best of luck!

• Day #4 for me today.  I feel ok.  I find I am very hungry leading up to 1pm...and I am drinking about 16-21 ounces of BPC (with at least a total of 4 TBSP Kerrygold butter and 1 TBSP Brain Octane).   Hoping my body adjusts to not being so hungry.

I have no choice but to work out in the morning, so today was a workout day for me and I put a TBSP of Upgraded Collagen protein in my BPC.  Is that what I am supposed to do if I am working out in the AM?

• Hello all :D

Ok, I call a do-over then...aarrgghh! This time I am writing down the complete list of allowed foods and putting it on my refrigerator door...as well as sitting it next to me as I make up my grocery list! I noticed that the approved list doesn't include bell peppers or tomatoes (both of which I have eaten in the past two days) I want to do this correctly so that it works, it's a more restrictive list than I initially thought. I was incorporating paleo recipies - I think at least for the carb depletion phase it's even more restrictive than that. On the positive side, I have already incorporated many of the changes you mention Skye, just not restrictive enough with the veggies yet. After carb depletion are there still veggies you recommend we stay away from? I'll check around and see if I can get a body fat measure done locally (I live in a rural area so not sure if there is any place close by) and will see if the local health food or grocery store carries l-glutamine. I did make myself some warm coconut milk with a little unsweetened chocolate and stevia last night, that was really satisfying but I'm not sure whether it fits with the carb depletion guidelines...

• Day #4 for me today.  I feel ok.  I find I am very hungry leading up to 1pm...and I am drinking about 16-21 ounces of BPC (with at least a total of 4 TBSP Kerrygold butter and 1 TBSP Brain Octane).   Hoping my body adjusts to not being so hungry.

I have no choice but to work out in the morning, so today was a workout day for me and I put a TBSP of Upgraded Collagen protein in my BPC.  Is that what I am supposed to do if I am working out in the AM?

Hi Marie.  Wondered if you are taking the salt - it helps to take the edge off.  I have also been hungry before 1pm even though I'm eating plenty of fats too.  So what I did yesterday was to increase my fat intake to 90% of calories just for one day only.  I didn't need to eat at all after lunch yesterday and all the way through to this lunchtime.   I have not worked out this morning though, but I have been up and working since 5.30am.

• Hello all :D

Ok, I call a do-over then...aarrgghh! This time I am writing down the complete list of allowed foods and putting it on my refrigerator door...as well as sitting it next to me as I make up my grocery list! I noticed that the approved list doesn't include bell peppers or tomatoes (both of which I have eaten in the past two days) I want to do this correctly so that it works, it's a more restrictive list than I initially thought. I was incorporating paleo recipies - I think at least for the carb depletion phase it's even more restrictive than that. On the positive side, I have already incorporated many of the changes you mention Skye, just not restrictive enough with the veggies yet. After carb depletion are there still veggies you recommend we stay away from? I'll check around and see if I can get a body fat measure done locally (I live in a rural area so not sure if there is any place close by) and will see if the local health food or grocery store carries l-glutamine. I did make myself some warm coconut milk with a little unsweetened chocolate and stevia last night, that was really satisfying but I'm not sure whether it fits with the carb depletion guidelines...

sanssoucish.  I dropped tomatoes yesterday after noticing the same thing whilst at the same time, increasing my fat intake for the day.  I don't know if I'm sensitive to nightshade plants but I'm committed to just giving it 100%.   Hunger was less and more ketones (I'm using the urine strips at the moment).  I have ordered the Ketonix and it has just been shipped, so hope to get a more accurate read.  Hope helpful.