Recommended Tests For Gut Bacteria / Permeability?

McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Im almost certain I have some gut dysbiosis that I'd like to get to the bottom of. A recent ION panel test showed high phenylacetate which indicates a gut bacteria issue. I have all the symptoms of gut dysbiosis including skin problems, fatigue, brain fog. As a kid I was on antibiotics alot and went multiple times without finishing a course of ABs. Im sure I made mistakes with selection of poor probiotic supplements in the past but have actually seen results (skin) with Jarrow EPS Probiotics but this was a short duration protocol-issues returned. Im pretty sure the more starch I eat the worse my skin probably because it feeds gut bacteria. I do slightly better on detox supplements (C, NAC, Milk Thistle, CDG, never ran glutathione)

What are the most recommended tests for assesing gut health, intestinal permeability, microbiome status, bacteria overgrowth, etc? Id prefer a test that comes back with nutritional/supplemental recommendations.

Thanks!

RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Supplier of 100% Grass Fed Pasture Raised Whey Protein Bars

www.rawgrassfedproteinbars.com

Comments

• To get nutritional supplement recommendations you need something like the metametrix (now Genova) organix urinary acid test + the amino acid blood spot test (or better yet the Triad test which does both of these plus a food intolerance panel). There are a number of online companies that will sell these lab tests direct. If you want to complete the circle do a GI effects comprehensive stool test as well so that you know exactly what's in your gut not just what the things in your gut are synthesizing. 

• McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Ive done the Genova ION panel which tests for:

• Organix nutritional test profile reveals nutritional and metabolic impairments
    • Amino Acid nutritional test profile determines essential amino acid imbalances that affect both physical and mental function
    • Nutrient and Toxic Element test profile identifies a patients toxic burden and mineral status
    • Fatty Acid nutritional test profile helps identify the right balance of fatty acids that can impact health and development
    • Antioxidant Vitamins test measures vitamins involved in antioxidant functions
    • Coenzyme Q10 nutritional test measures total body status of this antioxidant nutrient and energy pathway cofactor
    • Lipid Peroxides nutritional test measures total serum lipid peroxidation, an indication of whole body free radical activity
    • Homocysteine test identifies total homocysteine in plasma and elevated levels are an independent risk factor for premature cardiovascular disease and atherothrombotic cerebrovascular disease

Im more interested in a full comprehensive set of gut tests. The ION only revealed possible gut bacteria overgrowth. Which ones are the best that come with probiotic/nutrition recommendations?

• the most comprehensive gut test available is the Gi Effects but it doesn't come with supplement recommendations you have to interpret for yourself which probiotics are best to supplement with. eg. if lactobacillus levels are too high, avoid probiotics with lactobacillus in them.

It is a companion test to the Organix because it narrows down exactly what is causing the dysbiosis that shows up in the Organix test as various metabolites. 

• McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

the most comprehensive gut test available is the Gi Effects but it doesn't come with supplement recommendations you have to interpret for yourself which probiotics are best to supplement with. eg. if lactobacillus levels are too high, avoid probiotics with lactobacillus in them.

It is a companion test to the Organix because it narrows down exactly what is causing the dysbiosis that shows up in the Organix test as various metabolites. 

I plan on having my doctor run this test thanks for the recommendation. Ive already had the Organix done so it seems this will work out well.

Genova doesnt give any probiotic recommendations at all with the results?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file