Cold Shower After Strength Training

I remember reading that one should avoid cold showers after intense trainings because it will counter the benefits. However, i just recently listened to a podcast on Ben Greenfield where he suggests if you do a morning workout, which I do, then cold showers are good - in terms of assisting with recovery, reducing inflammation,etc. 

I'm confused...

Comments

• I do a contrast shower after all my workouts... a la Ray Cronise.... and BG.... 20" cold, 10" warm for 5 minutes (10 cycles)

• Anyone else? I think it's suppose to constrict and then let the blood flow for the warm/cold part....?

• So is this something we want to do after a workout? 

• there are other ways to fight inflammation i.e. supplements, like curcumin (i like the one by life extension). If you are following the bp diet, inflammation probably wont be a huge issue. I havent heard that podcast but will definitely check it out! I know that people use heat (like the biomat, to be specific) after a workout to increase strength gains. i have heard of cold being good to prevent sore muscles, but i havent read anything suggesting faster strength gains. I think both heat and cold are good - it just depends on the end goal.

• I finish off my routine with a swim... by nature rather cold.

The Ben Greenfield thing, I think he was saying using it to keep your metabolisim up. If it was the podcast that I was listening too...

• OdiOdi

I've become a bit doubtful about using cold and other methods of inhibiting inflammation after exercise after watching a video with Kelly Starrett where they basically explain that they were wrong about icing and that it can interfere with recovery, because inflammation is needed to heal.

Any experts here to clarify stuff?

Having a generally high baseline of inflammation bad? But temporary normal and uninterrupted inflammation response good? Could cold showers, curcumin and fish oil interrupt this positive response, or is it too mild to affect it negatively, as opposed to more aggressive icing and anti-inflammation meds?

The video I'm talking about is this: 

And this follow-up: http://www.mobilitywod.com/2013/07/community-video-peoples-weve-got-to-stop-icing-a-year-later/

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Just going off the cuff here but I thought the purpose of cold therapy after a workout was that it caused more sugar from the blood stream to be drawn into the muscles

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• I'm interested in expert insights into this as well. I've done quite some cold showering directly after my workouts, showering warm first for about 4 minutes, then exactly 4 minutes showering as cold the shower allows, but with much less volume - I see no need in turning it full on. No alternating cycles. I'm quite convinced, that these cold showers help greatly in reducing DOMS (sore muscles the day after). But this is just my n=1, which is why I'd like to hear your experiences, especially about DOMS, because I usually have a great problem with that.

• agreed have noticed that recovery improves. I don't do it till the evening not directly after exercise and rolling.  

you guys "foam roll"?

I use some tennis balls that seems to help also.

• I do CT before, 2-3 hours before and then a 10 min contrast shower with Heat and Cold....  and then perhaps later in the day CT....  Works great and my lifts, strength and lean body mass is great!

- Dan
    ★彡On the path of optimal health...... B)
    ★"Keeping it real"★
    Love to learn, study and apply Nutrition, Health and Athleticism for a Superhuman Life.

• Also sometimes I do a sauna post workouts and then after a short CT session of cold shower....

- Dan
    ★彡On the path of optimal health...... B)
    ★"Keeping it real"★
    Love to learn, study and apply Nutrition, Health and Athleticism for a Superhuman Life.

• Posted this in the Athlete Forum as a separate question but makes me wonder about CT....might not be that great for you...

End the Cold War- No more Icing

• lyleglyleg
    edited November 2014
    I like a 20 minute sauna after a good workout followed by 3-4 minutes of ice cold shower. I feel like i could beat the shit out of the hulk afterwards
  • GarrettGarrett
    edited November 2014
    I have a foam roller, which I've been meaning to do more with. Thanks for the reminder

agreed have noticed that recovery improves. I don't do it till the evening not directly after exercise and rolling.  

you guys "foam roll"?

I use some tennis balls that seems to help also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your link speaks of applying ice to muscles after workouts. The OP is speaking about a cold shower after workout.

Significantly different.

Posted this in the Athlete Forum as a separate question but makes me wonder about CT....might not be that great for you...

End the Cold War- No more Icing

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I heard that cold showers may be good for HRV. not while showering but after that.

the server of the source is down but here is the link: http://thequantifiedbody.net/ep-8-experiments-using-hormesis-improve-hrv-todd-becker/

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training