No Fail Fat Burning For Women

Comments

• I like it, Skye, its a good motto!

I've been trying to switch off my devices and get my 7 hours in every night.

Sansoucish totally agree dont make the ice cream, it's too nice! In terms of results I think no treats really pays off. Skye said eat dark chocolate sparingly on the protocol so I would take that to be once a week?
  • Does anyone know if you can have coconut butter during the first 10 days?  I know we can have coconut, but it does have carbs.  Thanks

• Hi everyone, DAY 13 here and I guess I'm due for a legitimate carb refeed. Did a sort of minor one on Monday, didn't budge the "moderate" reading on the ketostix, so I guess I have to jump in, both feet, this time. Scale weight is down 3.8 lb, BF has been fluctuating (crappy gizmo, probably), but is likely down 1% on average. That's pretty good for 13 days, I'd say.

I went to Crossfit on Saturday and the first WOD involved a CJ ladder. While I certainly didn't PR, I managed to stay within my usual range. Had good energy for the second WOD, which involved burpees and box jumps and 400m sprints. Sunday = I felt depleted.

I am pretty happy with the way my pre-lunch hours have been going; very focused, clean energy. Still slump sometimes around 3pm. Tonight I'll go to Crossfit and then eat a bunch of jasmine rice.

How is everyone else doing?

• cocoacat, Parker, and digestive sufferers - 200mg magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate with the first bpc and another 200-400 before bed will help tremendously! (feel free to adjust that dosage but thats a good starting point for most) it will also help you sleep. DO NOT use other forms of magnesium such as magnesium citrate - like the ever popular magnesium calm - because they will go right through you without being taken in. (also make sure to rinse your mouth out after using any form of powdered magnesium that you mix into water because its acidic - bad for enamel!)

there is a whole thread about lindt chocolate in these forums. the 90 percent has gone through the dutching process which is said to greatly diminish the beneficial phytochemicals - i do not believe it affects the glycemic index and therefore should not interfere with weight loss - at least not any more than a 90 percent bar with the exact same macronutrient balance and ingredients, but in terms of health benefits you might not be getting all you think you are. I have been making my own chocolate - it takes ten minutes! 22 g of daves melted cacao butter + 20 g raw cacao powder (i have been using the navitas naturals - just out of convenience) --> mix and let cool on wax paper. MAYBE add 1 - 3 drops of stevia. its great if you are a hardcore dark chocolate lover. But its a pretty intense flavor. not very sweet.

spbbb - if it were me, i would avoid the coconut butter. not just because of the nutrition specifications, but  also because it sits in a jar for a long time. the idea - i believe - is to get your body clean. I also believe i have heard dave talk about mold contamination in coconut butter. 

did some carb refeeding - one meal of carb is NOT enough to bring me out of ketosis - i go from deep to moderate. I have modified the plan a bit for myself to do 2 meals of carbs every 4th day instead of one. its all about listening to your body right? :) I think the way i follow this plan is just REALLY low carb - i eat only meats, leafy greens and cruciferous veg, and fat. the only fruit i have is grapefruit or blackberries - and never both on the same day. has anyone else had trouble getting OUT of ketosis with only one meal of carb refeed every 4th day?

leez - have you tried salt water for your 3 pm slump? worth a shot. makes a huge difference for some.

food allergies - nothing has made a greater difference to my health than figuring out what im sensitive to. NOTHING!! the list for me is long, right now at least, but you will feel SO MUCH BETTER if you can cut that stuff out. and for a lot of people, unfortunately, that means both egg yolk and egg white (karen g - definitely correct to want to test them separately). also, many people CRAVE what they are allergic to - but after a week you wont miss it, not biologically at least.

glad you all sound well! stick with it! :)

• So here I am on Day 5 of my 10 Day detox.  It's been hard!  

Hunger and Early Exercise:  I have struggled with only BP coffee before 1:00 pm and I get HUNGRY!.  I work out MWF in the mornings (not today tho) and my performance on Wednesday was sort of pathetic.  Today I'm adding an egg yolk to my PB coffee and hope that will leave me less hungry in the later morning hours.  I'm a bit concerned about the morning workouts long term.  How have others managed that?  I see that Skye adds SuperStarch (or something like that) on days where she exercises before 1 pm.  What have other people been doing to manage their morning workouts?  

Safe Food Choices and Balance:  I've been eating olives and dried unsweetened coconut flakes in the afternoons/evenings like my life depends on it.  Hopefully that doesn't backfire in some way.  I'm curious how everyone else determines their good fat percentages in their daily intake versus protein and vegetables.  I have no idea if I'm doing that correctly.  I am eating safe meats and I use liberal amounts of GF butter in cooking the vegetables (plus you see my very fatty snacks) but beyond that should I be doing some detailed calculations?  My butter coffee is about 2 T butter and a bit of MCT or coconut oil.  I have about two in the morning (now with egg yolk).  Thoughts anyone?  

Side effects:  I'm not as thirsty as I was the first few days.  I slept better last night.  I am less irritable.  Does that mean I'm through the worst of it?

Things I miss:  I was already semi-paleo but I do miss almonds, dark chocolate (I love a 72% version), breaded chicken, french fries (I said semi-paleo), and alcohol.  Actually the alcohol-free aspect has been easier than I expects, but ask me about that after the cocktail party I'm attending on Saturday.   

I'm so thankful to have found this forum.  And hope to get some guidance and inspiration from those of you who have been at this already!

Mary

• I am also at day five but am waiting until day ten to exercise.  I don't think any stenuous exercise during the first nine days is recommended, other than a nice long walk.  It all depends what your diet looked like prior to starting.  You may very well have gone through some withdrawl symptoms for sure.  Are you doing the pink salt drink in the morning before you get up?  I find that helps in a big way.  As for the things you miss, try focusing on what you can have rather than what you can't have.  Yes, you are likely through the worst of it but I'd recommend resting more if you can. 

• So here I am on Day 5 of my 10 Day detox.  It's been hard!  

Hunger and Early Exercise:  I have struggled with only BP coffee before 1:00 pm and I get HUNGRY!.  I work out MWF in the mornings (not today tho) and my performance on Wednesday was sort of pathetic.  Today I'm adding an egg yolk to my PB coffee and hope that will leave me less hungry in the later morning hours.  I'm a bit concerned about the morning workouts long term.  How have others managed that?  I see that Skye adds SuperStarch (or something like that) on days where she exercises before 1 pm.  What have other people been doing to manage their morning workouts?  

Safe Food Choices and Balance:  I've been eating olives and dried unsweetened coconut flakes in the afternoons/evenings like my life depends on it.  Hopefully that doesn't backfire in some way.  I'm curious how everyone else determines their good fat percentages in their daily intake versus protein and vegetables.  I have no idea if I'm doing that correctly.  I am eating safe meats and I use liberal amounts of GF butter in cooking the vegetables (plus you see my very fatty snacks) but beyond that should I be doing some detailed calculations?  My butter coffee is about 2 T butter and a bit of MCT or coconut oil.  I have about two in the morning (now with egg yolk).  Thoughts anyone?  

Side effects:  I'm not as thirsty as I was the first few days.  I slept better last night.  I am less irritable.  Does that mean I'm through the worst of it?

Things I miss:  I was already semi-paleo but I do miss almonds, dark chocolate (I love a 72% version), breaded chicken, french fries (I said semi-paleo), and alcohol.  Actually the alcohol-free aspect has been easier than I expects, but ask me about that after the cocktail party I'm attending on Saturday.   

I'm so thankful to have found this forum.  And hope to get some guidance and inspiration from those of you who have been at this already!

Mary

Up your butter in your coffee. If you're hungry (and it's not just your body craving the things you're detoxing), add more butter or healthy fat.

Again, taxing your body with strenuous exercise at the same time you're asking it to heal with cellular cleansing/detoxing is not going to yield maximum results and can actually lead to your body hanging on to fat.

Nutrition first. Sleep second. Exercise third.

Body composition is made in the kitchen. It does sound like you're past the worst of it. Great work! Have a great weekend and keep on rocking.

No Fail Fat Burning for Women available on Amazon now!

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• Hi everyone, DAY 13 here and I guess I'm due for a legitimate carb refeed. Did a sort of minor one on Monday, didn't budge the "moderate" reading on the ketostix, so I guess I have to jump in, both feet, this time. Scale weight is down 3.8 lb, BF has been fluctuating (crappy gizmo, probably), but is likely down 1% on average. That's pretty good for 13 days, I'd say.

I went to Crossfit on Saturday and the first WOD involved a CJ ladder. While I certainly didn't PR, I managed to stay within my usual range. Had good energy for the second WOD, which involved burpees and box jumps and 400m sprints. Sunday = I felt depleted.

I am pretty happy with the way my pre-lunch hours have been going; very focused, clean energy. Still slump sometimes around 3pm. Tonight I'll go to Crossfit and then eat a bunch of jasmine rice.

How is everyone else doing?

Way to kick ass, Leez! Especially after something like an xfit ladder, be sure you're taking your omega 3's at night. That will help in the healing, growth and recovery process. I've been nailing PR's with SuperStarch. If you use it, make sure to get the flavors WITHOUT artificial sweetener. They are tricky bastards when it comes to that.

KETOSTIX:

Wrote about it here. In essence:

The faulty thing about Ketostix is that they only give you a sense of urine ketones which becomes useless (and false) after about a month.They don't measure betahydroxybutyrate which is the ketone body you use for fuel once you have completed adapted yourself from sugar burner to fat burner. It can really screw with you to see the strips not turn the color you'd like when you're really on the precipice of getting yourself in to full blown fat burning mode. Your more accurate bet is checking for blood ketones... and that's expensive, inconvenient, and for squeamish people like me, painful. I did just recently purchase a Ketonix Sport breath ketone analyzer. It measures acetone in breath condensate that's about as reliable as the blood samples. Of course, none of this is necessary if you just stick to the plan. Results will come.

One percent body fat is AWESOME! That is no joke. Stay with it! Put up some RX's on the board.

Have a great weekend,

SSJ

Find out how I hacked my way to health, conquered PCOS, endometriosis, and lost 15% bodyfat in my forties.

• edited November 2014

cocoacat, Parker, and digestive sufferers - 200mg magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate with the first bpc and another 200-400 before bed will help tremendously! (feel free to adjust that dosage but thats a good starting point for most) it will also help you sleep. DO NOT use other forms of magnesium such as magnesium citrate - like the ever popular magnesium calm - because they will go right through you without being taken in. (also make sure to rinse your mouth out after using any form of powdered magnesium that you mix into water because its acidic - bad for enamel!)

there is a whole thread about lindt chocolate in these forums. the 90 percent has gone through the dutching process which is said to greatly diminish the beneficial phytochemicals - i do not believe it affects the glycemic index and therefore should not interfere with weight loss - at least not any more than a 90 percent bar with the exact same macronutrient balance and ingredients, but in terms of health benefits you might not be getting all you think you are. I have been making my own chocolate - it takes ten minutes! 22 g of daves melted cacao butter + 20 g raw cacao powder (i have been using the navitas naturals - just out of convenience) --> mix and let cool on wax paper. MAYBE add 1 - 3 drops of stevia. its great if you are a hardcore dark chocolate lover. But its a pretty intense flavor. not very sweet.

spbbb - if it were me, i would avoid the coconut butter. not just because of the nutrition specifications, but  also because it sits in a jar for a long time. the idea - i believe - is to get your body clean. I also believe i have heard dave talk about mold contamination in coconut butter. 

did some carb refeeding - one meal of carb is NOT enough to bring me out of ketosis - i go from deep to moderate. I have modified the plan a bit for myself to do 2 meals of carbs every 4th day instead of one. its all about listening to your body right? :) I think the way i follow this plan is just REALLY low carb - i eat only meats, leafy greens and cruciferous veg, and fat. the only fruit i have is grapefruit or blackberries - and never both on the same day. has anyone else had trouble getting OUT of ketosis with only one meal of carb refeed every 4th day?

leez - have you tried salt water for your 3 pm slump? worth a shot. makes a huge difference for some.

food allergies - nothing has made a greater difference to my health than figuring out what im sensitive to. NOTHING!! the list for me is long, right now at least, but you will feel SO MUCH BETTER if you can cut that stuff out. and for a lot of people, unfortunately, that means both egg yolk and egg white (karen g - definitely correct to want to test them separately). also, many people CRAVE what they are allergic to - but after a week you wont miss it, not biologically at least.

glad you all sound well! stick with it! 

Way to kick ass, WE. On the nights of your carb refeed, the whole feeding window is meant for carbs. You can refer to the book about it, but begin your first meal with mainly carbs, little fat, little protein (if any). As the night continues, you can include more fat with your carbs and protein. This is the one night to keep your fat moderate.

•  

I wouldn't mind getting a food tolerance test done aswell, will have to see what's available in sydney. Just wouldn't know where you are being hampered health wise without it. And like you Karen kinda feeling a bit funny after an omelette type meal, just doesn't sit right afterwards lately.

I'm a little confused with the 21 day program, I read in some places in the book the carb depletion is 1-10 which makes me think the carb refeed is on the 11th day (which is what I did) and then elsewhere in the book it looks like the 10 day is the refeed day. Anywho now I'm wondering about the every 3 days carb refeed, is that on the 3rd day or the day after, can anyone clarify for me? Cheers

Three weeks is because that is the average it normally takes us to develop new habits. Your refeed is on the evening of the tenth day. In the book I ask to give it a shot for at least  three weeks. Hopefully by then, if you stick to the protocol as written, you will have seen results and incorporated these changes as part of your regular routine. Obviously, all your results are not going to happen within three weeks but you will have seen changes. We did not become overweight and unhealthy in three weeks and we will not lose all our unhealthy bodyfat and inflammation within three weeks but it sure as hell will give us a huge head of steam to keep on going.

The only way out is through. If you have not reached your desired goals by the end of three weeks, keep going.

I'm thinking we should do some sort of challenge for the holidays. Keeping us all accountable and focused. What do you ladies think?

• For those individuals in the "bunged up" category, I found something that works wonders.  It is a prebiotic fiber from the Larch tree called Arabinogalactan.  Although it has a tiny carb factor, I think it is well worth keeping yourself going on a daily basis.  This stuff rocks!  The tiny scoop with my container is 1.5 grams with a total carbohydrate count of a whopping 1.  Half a scoop with lunch and another 1/2 scoop at supper seems to be doing the trick for me. 

• Three weeks is because that is the average it normally takes us to develop new habits. Your refeed is on the evening of the tenth day. In the book I ask to give it a shot for at least  three weeks. Hopefully by then, if you stick to the protocol as written, you will have seen results and incorporated these changes as part of your regular routine. Obviously, all your results are not going to happen within three weeks but you will have seen changes. We did not become overweight and unhealthy in three weeks and we will not lose all our unhealthy bodyfat and inflammation within three weeks but it sure as hell will give us a huge head of steam to keep on going.

The only way out is through. If you have not reached your desired goals by the end of three weeks, keep going.

I'm thinking we should do some sort of challenge for the holidays. Keeping us all accountable and focused. What do you ladies think?

Challenge for the holidays = heck yes! Just finished the Whole Life Challenge today and was feeling a little insecure about my impending freedom. I am better when held accountable.

Parker: I am psyched to report a remarkable result a few mins ago as a result of last night's aggressive carb refeed. One Larch tree spared, for now. Making a note of your suggestion for future reference.

WhiteE: The salty water @ 2:30 really did help. Thanks!

Mary: Welcome aboard!

• Message heard:  no more workouts for me until after 10 days.  Promise.  Thanks all for the additional tips and suggestions.  The egg yolk in the butter coffee is great.  

Mary

• edited November 2014

Welcome Mary & Hello all :)

I am all for the holiday accountability and challenge - that is a great idea. I just ordered my local, free range, organic turkey and paid my deposit. The unlucky bird will be fresh and ready to pick up a couple days before Thanksgiving so I know my bird will be about as BP as I can get without going out and shooting one myself ;)

It's so good to see you back Skye! I hope you are doing well and that your travels were all you hoped they would be.

Parker - I looked up the Arabinogalactan and I may order myself some for after I finish up my psyllium husk, it sounds like it has a few additional health benefits. Is there a brand you recommend? So far the psyllium and my usual bedtime magnesium have been keeping me happily regular. It's kind of funny that we're talking poop on this forum but, hey, we've already covered a little about bloating and Aunt Flo...all part of being alive, right.

I think I have also perhaps been under-carb-feeding so I will kick up the carbs a bit today (since it is re-feed day) because if I'm not giving myself enough carbs to break up the ketosis a little bit I'm just slowing down my progress in a different way. So that means rice AND sweet potatoes today with an extra big helping of veggies! Party time! Seriously, the carb re-feeds do feel a little like a celebration, so nice to celebrate a little with foods that are good for me & help me build a little muscle too.

Take care everyone :)

• An article about palm oil is attached below.  It gives me some pause about the benefits of palm oil.  Of course I just bought a jar of red palm oil to use for cooking in place of other oils.  If anyone would care to share their thoughts on this, I'd be appreciative.

http://humanfoodproject.com/palm-oil-maybe-not-such-a-good-idea-after-all/

Mary