Can't Shake The "keto Flu" Feeling?

Hi guys and thanks in advance,

I've tried the keto diet and bulletproof stuff a lot lately. I moved from Jimmy More style keto to bp because I couldn't get over the "keto flu"-- feeling sick was going away eventually, but the heart palpitations were awful. Never had a problem with heart palpitations except a few months when I was anorexic, but that was ten years ago. Now trying to eat bulletproof, but the heart palpitations are still there (although a lot better compared to keto). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Are you eating carbs in the form of Bulletproof-safe starches? Are you doing carb refeeds at least weekly?

• Well, I've "broken" my diet a few times and ate carbs, felt better immediately. I only heard about refeeds since coming on this forum... I know Dave talks about BP-friendly starches, but it always sounded optional. I figured since I'm a shortish female who doesn't work out a ton I don't really need the extra carbs like a large/jacked person would, especially since I'm trying to lose some stubborn fat. Would you recommend it?

• Woman and keto diets are a recipe for disaster imo.
  • I'd recommend either adding carbs daily OR doing a big refeed 1-2 times a week (women seem to do better with more than one.)

Almost everyone needs some carbs, though our needs may vary person to person. There is really only a very select few for whom carb refeeds are optional. If you keep carb consumption to the evening, choose safe starches, and don't go totally nuts, you won't gain fat and will probably feel a lot better. You can do an advanced search (instructions in my signature) for "carb refeed" and you might even limit the search to the women's forum. There are a LOT of posts like yours, with people who just find they do better with some carbs. Especially women, for whatever reason. 

I had to kind of fight my brain about this for a while: when we first learn about how sugar is hidden in everything and carbs are making us fat, it's easy to think carbs are the devil. They are not, it's just the constant excess carbs in the normal diet that are a problem, along with starting our day with sugar/carb breakfasts. 

Even if you are not technically "in ketosis" in the morning after carbs at night, unless you have major blood glucose disregulation (fasting glucose over 100) then you will still be able to burn fat for energy, and unable to store dietary fat, unless you eat something that spikes your blood glucose. When I need a dose of carb sanity, I like Mark Sisson's (Primal Blueprint) "carbohydrate curve:"

Carb_Curve_color.jpg

Keep the carbs post-workout and/or in the evening and you're good to go. Keto/IF range definitely requires refeeds, the 50-100g range probably requires refeeds to keep the metabolism guessing, and 100-150g daily you might not need refeeds. 

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

I do know the heart palpitations and They can come from lack of electrolytes, early stage ketosis, keto acidosis and empty glycogen stores. and maybe dehydration!

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Yeah don't be afraid of carbs. They are edible for a reason.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Your body may be releasing toxins as you lose fat. The body ends up storing many toxins, especially mold, in fat tissue. Try upgraded glutathione, calcium d glucarate, and activated charcoal. 

Also make sure you are eating a few servings of high quality starchy carbs every 3 or 4 days.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Woman and keto diets are a recipe for disaster imo.

My girlfriend seems to feel alright so far. I have to constantly remind her that she needs to refeed but she cheats sometimes anyways...

I calculated her dayly macro needs based on jasons thread and we will see how it goes. She can already see some results.

My ex girlfriend felt good with it as well (at least in the beginning). I don't know how she is feeling now.

I must say both were still scared of fat and prefer bread instead.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Could this be possibly why my anxiety has been through the roof this week?

Never thought about it until i read this. I have had occasional issues with anxiety, but since i started this diet more strictly the instances of my anxiety have gone up.

• Could this be possibly why my anxiety has been through the roof this week?

Never thought about it until i read this. I have had occasional issues with anxiety, but since i started this diet more strictly the instances of my anxiety have gone up.

I've heard Dave mention that "you need more carbs when you're stressed".