Strange Problem With Exercise And Sleep

Hi folks,

I've been dealing with this problem for years and I'm hoping someone here can offer some insight. I've asked multiple doctors, including my integrative physician, and have yet to receive any good answers/solutions. FWIW I am a 28 y/o male and eat a clean, bulletproof diet.

My problem is that working out (regardless of what time of day) gives me a prolonged elevated heart-rate that either completely ruins, or at least impairs my sleep. I usually workout at 8am and go to bed around 10pm. My sleep hygiene is very good (night-time wind-down routine, blue-light blocking glasses, no meals or liquids within 2-3 hours of sleep) and my sleep is generally fine on non-workout days. I do not drink caffeine, alcohol, or anything else that may interfere with sleep. 

My workouts are almost always moderate intensity weightlifting; usually 40 minutes long + warm-up and cool-down. I developed some adrenal issues a couple years ago, and my integrative physician recommended that I cut down on workouts and and reduce intensity. So the weights that I'm lifting are nowhere near my 1RM, I usually only do 5 reps per set, and I only workout once or twice per week currently. I should also mention that this problem began long before I ever developed adrenal issues; in fact, I remember experiencing it right from the time that I first started working out (5-6 years ago). Paradoxically, the problem seems to be slightly worse when I'm only working out once/week compared to when I'm working out 3-4 times/week.

The only thing that I've ever found to solve this problem is marijuana, but I've had to cut that out because it seems to cause cold sores for me. Valerian root and ashwagandha do not seem to help.

I assume this problem is somehow related to cortisol, but I don't know what to do to solve it. I'm at the point where I feel like my body just does not want me to lift weights, and that maybe I should just quit. This is hard for me to accept, as I really enjoy weightlifting and value the results that I get from it (both mental and physical).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• It sounds more like an adrenaline problem.  Take 1/2 tsp of pink sea salt in a glass of water in the morning when you wake up.  Ease into some shorter workouts like HITT with medium weights.  BHT (Dave's podcast with Steve Fowkes) will help the tendency toward cold sores.  Get your Thyroid checked out.  I wouldn't take any specific supplements for adrenals because they usually heal when everything else comes in to balance. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file