Oysters? How To Cook/prepare?

I keep reading on BP Forum and other blogs that Raw oysters are good or bad. Some people say eat raw, some say don't. I keep researching only to find more questions. It gets old.

1. What is the most BP way to eat/prepare/cook oysters

2. If an Oyster has been shucked, can it still be alive?

3. How can you tell if it is alive or dead?

4. Can you eat/cook them if they have died?

5. Can you eat raw dead or should you omly eat raw alive?

6. What is is this whole tapping them to see if they close or dashing a little cold water on them to make them close/open?

7. When you tap them, should they open or close?

I need a lot of help here. I am really new to seafood preparation. I need to start from ground zero, and I need A LOT of details. Do not assume I know anything. Please explain everything that you can think of. Maybe video and pic links would be helpful?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

Comments

• I might be wrong but I think you're making this too complicated.  Schuck them, squeeze some lemon or hot sauce on them, and eat them (raw). 

If they smell bad, don't eat them.  If you're concerned about food poisoning, lightly cook them at low heat in some butter.

• I probably am making it too complicated, but I just want to know I'm doing it right. how do I know if they are alive or not? Should I eat them if there dead? Whats the best way to buy them? on ice? shipped to me? frozen?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

• They are always on ice when I buy them, though not frozen on the inside.  No reputable dealer should be selling you dead oysters.

• zonk117zonk117
    edited November 2014

Thank you!

-Einstein

• how bulletproof do you guys think canned wild caught smoked oysters are? i saw them on sale...not sure if i've ever even had oysters...

• Don't eat them if the shell is damaged in such a way that it cannot form a tight seal when closed, or if the shell doesn't close when you tap them. Don't eat them dead. You can puke your face off from that. What others have already said about smell is true, the nose knows!
  • I got some raw oysters today. Gulped down two of them, I'll save the rest for the rest of the week. Is it bad if they're already shucked?

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Well, it can't be that common that they make everyone puke...I doubt they'd sell very well.

I think he was referring to them being dead and raw, not smoked in a can.. if you thought he thought otherwise.  Although your question about smoked oysters is quite timely.  This past week I ate smoked canned oysters for the first time, and I got sick as hell.. worst stomach pains I've had in a long time.  Luckily I also developed hives all over my body to distract me momentarily from the knotting of my insides.  I didn't puke, though when I was curled up in a vertical ball on the toilet, I came damn near close to pulling the trigger.  Seemed like an allergic reaction, which is interesting because I'm fine eating them raw.  I won't touch them in a can ever again.

Smoked canned oysters are NOT bulletproof for me.  Crown Price brand bought at Trader Joe's.

• Holy crap. That's the same brand I bought. I was kinda hesitant about them before but now I think they may just sit in my cupboard collecting dust.
  • Drummin: longo was right, I was actually referring to raw/dead oysters. Sorry for the confusion.
  • Why waste the cupboard space?

Holy crap. That's the same brand I bought. I was kinda hesitant about them before but now I think they may just sit in my cupboard collecting dust.

• Holy crap. That's the same brand I bought. I was kinda hesitant about them before but now I think they may just sit in my cupboard collecting dust.

It did seem like an allergic reaction, not a food poisoning response.  There's a good chance you'll be fine eating them and they were tasty.  Perhaps you should try them, for science.

• If you try them out, what's the worst that will happen? You puke and move on. If nothing bad happens, that's a workable food source for you.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• I got some raw oysters today. Gulped down two of them, I'll save the rest for the rest of the week. Is it bad if they're already shucked?

I've never heard of waiting even one day to eat an already-shucked oyster. Waiting days seems like a very bad idea to me.  I don't know the science of oyster-decay here, but tradition says you shuck and eat immediately. Maybe waiting a couple hours, if they are laying in ice. 

• I probably am making it too complicated, but I just want to know I'm doing it right. how do I know if they are alive or not? Should I eat them if there dead? Whats the best way to buy them? on ice? shipped to me? frozen?

Follow Longo's advice for the most nutritious oysters. You won't know if they are alive or dead, but you will be enjoying delicious oysters the way most people do.Google around if you want to learn more about the lifespan of a captured oyster, and please share the info it's interesting... but I assure you that most folks including bulletproof folks are just doing what Longo said, and not taking any additional steps to determine proof of life : ) 

How to buy: I go to Whole Foods and have them shuck the oysters for me... Or, order at a restaurant/sushi bar.  I've been to an Oyster Farm a few times, too... bought a bunch of them and put them in a cooler with ice, then shucked them myself with friends. If you are having them shipped to you from a farm they probably have one cold option for how to ship, they probably won't ask you to choose between "iced" and "frozen".  Personally, I prefer oysters from the Atlantic, due to Fukishiuma, but I may be erring on the side of caution here.

I have a feeling there is more to these questions... you are kinda creeped out by oysters, aren't you? : )

• very creeped by shellfish in general. I don't want to mess it up, and I feel like it would be easy to mess up. I keep reading about Jack Kruse and others on these forums that say their like some super food, but others say they typically contain more toxins than other fish. I don't want to mess this up. Thoughts?

-Einstein

• I keep accidentally stabbing or lacerating my hand when I try to shuck raw oysters (which I can get from the local farmers' market), so I put them in a steamer tray and steam them until they are barely dead. The shells relax just enow for me to open them, and the meat is rare.

You can find some good academic papers on the reasons behind the toxin worries. As waterways are cleaned up in the US, eating shellfish is becoming much, much safer. There are also strict toxin and bacteria testing regimes adopted by many shellfish growers, as it's in their best interest to avoid making people sick.

Try this paper: MACKENZIE, C. L. (2007). CAUSES UNDERLYING THE HISTORICAL DECLINE IN EASTERN OYSTER (CRASSOSTREA VIRGINICA GMELIN, 1791) LANDINGS. Journal of Shellfish Research, 26(4), 927–938. doi:10.2983/0730-8000(2007)26[927:CUTHDI]2.0.CO;2

(Ouch, that CrossRef capitalization.)

-- Kaye