Advice On Anxiety/add/addiction Regimen For Noob Hacker

Hi everyone,

I previously posted this in the wrong place. Sorry for the repetition if some of you saw it already.

I've been tipping my toes in Bulletproof waters for about 2 months now.  So far i must say, amazing! I realize i tasted a fraction of what sort of well being could result from this.

What led me here is a series of events and realizations that added up:

1. Two of my closest friends were diagnosed with Celiac's which led me to understand gut-brain connections.

2. My 6 yo son was diagnosed with ADHD (which I suspected since he was 2). Understanding this condition led me to investigate this for myself and I was also diagnosed w/ ADD (hypoactive).

3. Sick of doctors treating symptoms rather than a person while rolling eyes at these scientifically proven facts and correlations.

So it opened my eyes to possible underlying food sensitivity explaining neurological conditions. I've been accumulating knowledge for years on these relations but purely from a theoretical and intellectual perspective. Now that I met this community, I'm very well on my way to actually put all this in practice. I have a very long way to go though. The change in lifestyle will be a major challenge for me since :

- I have GAD with depression. (treated with Effexor)

- Have ADD (treated with Vyvanse)

- I am an alcoholic. (treated with booze  :unsure:)

All co-morbid conditions.  I stopped searching for which caused which, figured I'll just hack the shit out of them all at once!  So here I am.

I figured I'd biohack in 3-4 phases following a logical priorization. So here's where I need guidance. Does this make sense?

1. Harm reduction + start detox protocol + BP diet with ++protein since I'm very skinny (6' - 130lbs) 

2. Accelerate SNRI detox by cycling meds with SAMe - 5HTP - L-tryptophan  + Nootropics type stack.  (timeline and dose suggestions?)

3. Full alcohol detox + full BP diet

4. Become the superhero I always knew I was inside.

Here's where my homework got me up to now...My current regimen is:

-  Pink salt water + Vyvanse upon wake-up

-  Bulletproof coffee (with both coconut and MCT + honey + almond milk) + Started adding a raw egg for protein (will get the collagen soon)

- Noon: Protein shake (Almond milk, fruit juice, whey protein, avocado-kale-spinach-cucumber type veggie)

- Noon Vitamin stack ( D3 drops 1000iu, cal-mag-d, B complex, EPA-DHA 1g) + Effexor 225mg (started cycling to 150 every other day. Ready for next step)

- Lunch: too often missing. sometimes 3 scrambled eggs with spinach and salt, maybe ham.

- 4 pm: pre-drinking stack. (Vit B1, NAC 500mg, Vit C 1g, ALA+other anti-ox formula containing ALAR, curcumin etc.)

- pre-dinner drinks: Gluten free beers 2 pints.

- Dinner: decent amount of meat steak-porc chops-chicken on BBQ (i know), veggies, salad, starch (rice or GF pasta in butter)

- Drinking: White wine or beer+Vodka or tequila. Ridiculous amounts.  (Made the switch from red wine and dark rum).

- After drink stack : Water, Cal-Mag-D, Magnesium 250, NAC 500, Vit C 500 or 1g, Activated charcoal if needed. Will add collagen soon. (would zinc 50mg be safe?)

- pass out  ;)

** Supps I'm looking to add are : K2, Collagen, Zinc/Copper?, Calcium d-glucarate, Selenium+iodine, Glutathione for cycling NAC, + NAC 200mg for S. Fowkes protocol.

There you go. If some of you are still reading, I would be very grateful for any advice and thoughts on my regimen and BP integration phases.

ALSO and especially. To the Admins: one very important sticky that might be lacking from the forums is cautionary measures and warning for certain conditions and med interactions.

For example while on SSRI's would there be a non-negligible risk of serotonin toxicity by adding SAMe, 5 HTP, etc ? 

Could even be an important sub-forum to consider.  Something like : Prescription drugs/Medical conditions guidelines.

Thanks again so much. So happy I found my way here.

Comments

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

Andrew Saul talks of... "case after case, where a kid stops getting food additives and starts taking vitamins, especially C and the B-complex, and is off Ritalin in two weeks or less."  http://www.doctoryourself.com/adhd.html

And while it seems rather granola... Earthing. Walk barefoot  in the grass or dirt or mud or water puddle. Do this for 20 minutes.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• Eat clean, think clean, and get sleep and exercise. I've found that eliminating as much toxins as possible has reduced my anxiety substantially and has made it much more manageable and actually useful in a way. Good luck in your journey.

• As the last two posters have already said get your diet, sleep and exercise tuned in and you will start making progress. The supps you mentioned sound good but will not replace a Bulletproof style diet and lifestyle.

I have often used a 5HTP/ Tyrosine combo to help clients get off SSRI's and improve serotonin/ dopamine function.

Before adding to many supplements it could be a good idea to see what you are actually low in ... a zinc/ copper imbalance for example can lead to anxiety symptoms

Specializing in functional pathology testing in Australia http://www.planetnaturopath.com/products/functional-pathology-testing

• Thanks for your replies. Yes. the Bulletproof diet is something that would take little time and effort to integrate. No problem there really just a matter of gathering all the good stuff and figuring out the clean sources and brands in my area.

Obviously my drinking will keep me from experiencing the full potential of this lifestyle and I know this is the major (if not the only) issue in my life that makes everything else difficult. It is something I have been struggling with for years so it will take time. Problem is I LOVE it. I get a complete blood panel once or twice a year but doctor always says it's fine. But I'm not satisfied with someone telling me that all seems in range. I will exercise my right to obtain my results so I can analyse the actual numbers.

I heard the recent podcast with W. J. Walsh talking about SSRI's and zinc-copper and methylation. I understand this could be a significant revelation for the people not responding well to their prescribed drugs. But for me I cannot make any assumption since the alcohol intake is most definitely screwing up the therapeutic efficiency of the drug. So it's a catch 22 of sorts. Quit drinking before any correlations could be made. And that's the hardest part.

Welcoming all advice. Keep 'em coming I'm all ears.

Thank you

And p.s. I do experience a major change in energy and less anxiety since integrating this regimen.

• With the cravings for alcohol there would be methylation issues, especially with COMT and MAO-A and possibly MTHFR which are all associated with cravings and the first two with impaired dopamine function. Support this pathway and it will help to make quitting drinking easier but if the problem is that you "love it" then maybe some mindfulness based meditation would help ... send yourself on a vipassana retreat 

Specializing in functional pathology testing in Australia http://www.planetnaturopath.com/products/functional-pathology-testing

• With the cravings for alcohol there would be methylation issues, especially with COMT and MAO-A and possibly MTHFR which are all associated with cravings and the first two with impaired dopamine function. 

I don't know where to start to get this kind of data over here in Montreal. Since we have a public health system, is it something your MD could prescribe? or do I have to send stuff over to private labs?

• The cheapest way to do it would be to do a 23andme test and then find someone to explain it to you, probably a functional medicine practitioner would be the best and you could find someone on mthfr.net or paleo docs, just make sure they are experienced in genetic and addictions.

Addictions are a chemical imbalance in the brain not because someone likes the taste of a food, drink or drug so working with someone to help balance your neurotransmitters without drugs (which are a band-aid solution) will give you the best long term results

There is a vipassana centre near Montreal http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schsuttama and this mindfulness based program is an excellent help to break addiction plus has so many other benefits

• Thanks so much for bringing Vipassana to my attention. It sounds really amazing. I would need to do a clinical detox before attending though. But a good plan to avoid relapse. Could do them back to back.

One thing that I would like clarification is the different tests we could get done besides regular blood panel and the interpretation purposes. 23andme would give me genetic predispositions but how pertinent is that if it doesn't take epigenetics and lifestyle into account?

What are the other tests that could help start off with the right knowledge? neurotransmitters? histamine? metals?

thanks

• The Metametrix Organic acids test is a great test that measures a lot of what you want http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/organic-acids/organix-comprehensive. The gene test is relevant because if you have snps in the pathways for serotonin/ dopamine metabolism and breakdown this may explain some of your habits .... improving these pathways will help to break the habits, the organic acids test is another way of assessing how these pathways are working

• EFT (emotional freedom technique) is a free, do-it-yourself technique you could use to support yourself in reducing anxiety, or dealing with cravings for alcohol. I'm not saying to drop the medication or other treatment, though. You can find lots of info on it from a google or youtube search. Emwave is a helpful technology yo get more out of meditation.

• Specifically on Anxiety/ ADHD/ ADD I would look into the work of William J Walsh. He was on bulletproof podcast #132 recently, so check the episode out. It's on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG_pEfFoGo

His book is also a good read - and I'd personally start with the tests he recommends as a screen. There is a lab in Chicago that does his panel - he's been on the Quantified Body podcast - see my sig, and we spoke about the tests in detail. When it goes up I'll be putting up all the links, unfortunately that's not for another 2 weeks, but if you PM me - i'll reply back to you when it's up.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• Specifically on Anxiety/ ADHD/ ADD I would look into the work of William J Walsh. He was on bulletproof podcast #132 recently, so check the episode out. It's on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZG_pEfFoGo

His book is also a good read - and I'd personally start with the tests he recommends as a screen. There is a lab in Chicago that does his panel - he's been on the Quantified Body podcast - see my sig, and we spoke about the tests in detail. When it goes up I'll be putting up all the links, unfortunately that's not for another 2 weeks, but if you PM me - i'll reply back to you when it's up.

Yes have listened to this podcast twice last week and have been reading the PDF's from his site. This is truly amazing discoveries since the imbalances for the different mental conditions are really unanimous. And we all love seeing high percentages in studies. Gives a good indication on where to start.

I don't see anything really out of the ordinary in the tests, couldn't my Doc order me a lab test if I tell her what to check? or is there stuff only specialized labs could do?

thanks

• One thing that has been bugging me in all my reading is methylation imbalances. It seems to me that this is a very important thing to understand and test.

Wouldn't it be priority no.1 in my case? in anyone's case?  As I am most likely under-methylated (read histamine coming out of my ears), so just swapping folates for methyl forms or add B-6 instead B-complexe...would theoretically be beneficial. 

By confirming under-methylation, I could know then how to effectively address the SERT and DAT transport. or is it more complexe?

thanks

• One thing that has been bugging me in all my reading is methylation imbalances. It seems to me that this is a very important thing to understand and test.

Wouldn't it be priority no.1 in my case? in anyone's case?  As I am most likely under-methylated (read histamine coming out of my ears), so just swapping folates for methyl forms or add B-6 instead B-complexe...would theoretically be beneficial. 

By confirming under-methylation, I could know then how to effectively address the SERT and DAT transport. or is it more complexe?

thanks

Yeah it's complex and even when you get your stuff done (23&Me or through blood testing) it's open to interpretation.  It's a good place to start and there are places to start like mthfr.net, the Phoenix Rising forum and some 3rd party apps that analyze data if you go the 23&Me route.

BY THE WAY - for those that mentioned the William Walsh podcast - what exact testing does William Walsh recommend?  In the podcast he said 23&Me isn't ideal and in his book he mentions lab tests but no specifics.

• The Metametrix Organic acids test is a great test that measures a lot of what you want http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/organic-acids/organix-comprehensive. The gene test is relevant because if you have snps in the pathways for serotonin/ dopamine metabolism and breakdown this may explain some of your habits .... improving these pathways will help to break the habits, the organic acids test is another way of assessing how these pathways are working

Thanks for your help everyone. Just ordered my 23andme kit and seeing my MD next week to fill out the metametrix order. Obviously, to start with a basic knowledge of your imbalances is the smart way to start. 

BTW. My first real success/achievement is no more need for naps. I've been crashing everyday for the last 20 years after lunch. The extra productivity really helps in collateral ways too for an ADD. More confidence and sense of accomplishment :)

• Has anyone found a concrete plan for supporting the serotonin and dopamine pathways for those of us with MTHFR and issues with cravings? I have tried msm for serotonin support previously... No huge difference. I also take methylated b vitamins which help but aren't the cure - for me anyways.

Hakavapor - congrats on your progress! Any idea what helped most towards your new found lack of napping? Impressive.

• Has anyone found a concrete plan for supporting the serotonin and dopamine pathways for those of us with MTHFR and issues with cravings? I have tried msm for serotonin support previously... No huge difference. I also take methylated b vitamins which help but aren't the cure - for me anyways.

Hakavapor - congrats on your progress! Any idea what helped most towards your new found lack of napping? Impressive.

I guess addressing the methylation issue would be the major part of the solution since the SNP's implied pretty much all involve NT breakdown. Then I would look into 5-HTP, Tyrosine, GABA, as better alternatives to SSRI's et al.

(as stated by Planet Naturopath further up in the thread : I have often used a 5HTP/ Tyrosine combo to help clients get off SSRI's and improve serotonin/ dopamine function.)

For cravings (I'm guessing we're talking booze), a couple things could help I guess. Have not tried any yet but am looking into these. Kudzu, Alco-stat transdermal patch, and prescription stuff like camprall.

For the napping: nothing but BP coffee.