Organic Frozen Fruit? Dried Fruit

Who doesn't love fruit every now and then? Berries are fabulous as a dessert occasionally, but fresh organic fruit doesn't last long. So, it is hard keep fruit around for more than 24 hours. Seems like you have to eat it the day you buy it from Whole foods or the farmer's market. I am wondering about organic frozen fruit?

1. Is organic frozen fruit at whole foods just as nutritious as fresh organic fruit in the produce isle?
  2. Might as well compare the typical farmer’s market fruit vs. Whole Food’s/Trader Joe’s organic fruit. (I have never liked shopping at Trader Joes…. Seems like a lesser quality than Whole Foods)
  3. Is the plastic wrapper that organic frozen fruit comes in a major problem? I highly doubt it is BPA free. Doesn’t say anywhere on the bag.
  4. Might as well throw in dried fruit too. Seems like the brand really matters here. If you go wrong, mycotoxins will be rampant in your body. Organic fried fruit vs. organic frozen fruit? Running into the plastic bag issue with both. Which is better?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

-Einstein

Comments

• Overthinking the problem, choose your battles. Worried about the plastic on a bag?? Look around you right now. what is your phone/car/labtop/pen made of? The food you get from the butcher, no plastic?.no bottled water? Your water filter, plastic on top, no? Your kettle? Dave's coffee + other products? Your himalayan salt?

I would go for the berries, relatively low levels of sugar tied with fibre. Some times the amount of stress and worry cause are worse than the products themselves. I count BPA among them.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Frozen organic fruit is great. It's probably fresher and more nutrient dense than the un-frozen stuff you'll find in your local grocer's produce aisle. The packaging shouldn't be a concern; you're not heating the plastic bags or anything like that. Moreover, I'm not sure that plastic packaging is very high on the hierarchy of concerns. Plastics are ubiquitous. You're going to end up with some in your system no matter what you do. Minimize your exposure in meaningful ways (ie. don't re-heat food in plastic containers) and you're probably good.

Dried fruit might be OK, though you're going to need to track down brands that don't include additives. It can be difficult to find dried fruits that aren't packed with extra sugar, for instance. If mycotoxins are a concern to you, then that's another consideration to be made. A solution to both of these is to buy a dehydrator and make your own using only the highest quality fruits.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• elaela

+ 1 on the apricots and prunes recommendation; goji berries are also pretty low sugar and contain all the amino acids (but not in great amounts). They are also quite expensive, and hyped, and they are also in the nightshade family.

As a former fruitarian (and someone who comes from the land of dates), I'd regretfully but truthfully have to caution against using dried fruit as a staple. Even as calorie dense as they are, they're not satiating. Mold is a huge issue (even to casual observation, which is already waaay too much).

Frozen berries seem a much better choice, although in the book Dave does caution against berries frozen moldy, and I've caught a few strawberries like that.

When I'm worried about plastic on my frozen produce, I empty it into glass containers when I get it home.

Trader Joes' prices are much better than WF for frozen fruit. But CostCo also has 5lb bags of organic strawberries for about $10, also 3lbs organic tart cherries (melatonin! anti-inflammatory!) and an og berry blend also.

That said, I never get the problem of fruit spoilage! "Former fruitarian" means I still sometimes come home with a big bag of something... Right now I have seven or eight kiwis, not refrigerated, not yet ripe; they've been hanging out for over a month. Likewise grapefruits, and persimmons which I used to live on in the fall and now have maybe one small one per week...

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

apricots and prunes are the lowest in fructose as far as fruits go so would be the best bet for dried.

As long as you are not diabetic or suffering from polyol sensitive SIBO. The sorbitol will be very harmful for both.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• +1 to over thinking the problem. Eat the BP way to the best of your ability. Our bodies are very efficient at dealing with mycotoxins and other bad stuff. IF your BP it will be even better at dealing with it. 

Just like frozen veggies, fruit that is to be frozen is picked at it's peak ripeness. Which also means the nutrition profile is good too. 

I am too weak to resist dried fruit so I just try to keep it at a minimum. I have to run away from dried mango if I see it!

• 5% of your daily total food intake from fruit and starch combined! Just how much dried, frozen or fresh are you guys eating in a day?