Kidney Stones From Ketogenic Dieting Suggests Paul Jaminet?

RoarkRoark
edited January 2013 in The Bulletproof Diet
So after 2 excruciatingly painful attacks of my lower right side over the past two weeks with no current diagnosis, I was thinking it could be a gallbladder issue. However, after awaking today to an extremely red urine (pardon the graphics), I am now keying in the kidney, probably kidney stones. So I'm doing the research, and after no medical issues in all my 28 years, I'm trying to discover what if anything in my diet could have triggered this (I've been mostly bulletproof for 2-3 months).

I've been trying to do intermittent fasting most the time, based on my schedule, I eat later in the day from 5p-11p usually, and only drink a morning BP coffee besides that. I load the BP coffee with 5tbsp of butter, 2tbsp of MCT, and 1tbsp of coconut oil. My food is generally 3 pastured eggs and 4 strips of lightly cooked bacon, or a pound of grassfed beef on a bed of spinach with a small amount of dressing. I may eat a few tablespoons of raw almond butter or natural unblanched peanut butter for a snack. Sometimes I also include an organic pork sausage or two. Other than the coffee, I only drink water.

So in light of thinking kidney stones could be my recent problem, I've wondered, is it too much fat, too much protein, or not enough water? I know Robb Wolf has addressed the protein issue, but what about the insane amount of fats? I guess I could increase my water consumption, but it's all I drink as it is. I also found Paul Jaminet of the Perfect Health Diet believes ketogenic diets could increase risk of kidney stones by something like 50-500 times?

Could anyone shed any light on this? Many thanks, and I'm heading back to the doctor tomorrow for a kidney ultrasound and urinalysis.

ps. I also supplement daily with magnesium (which I've seen specifically recommended for kidney stone prevention), D3, C, Selenium, Copper, Zinc, Cod Liver Oil, and Biotin.

Comments

• Lothario - Vitamin K2 is supposed to prevent and cure kidney stones. If you're eating real pastured eggs, I'd think that 3 yolks a day would have you covered UNLESS you are doing high level D3 supplementation in which case you need to take about 100mcg k2 per 2,000 iu D3 or risk having calcium deposits in your tissues (aka kidney stones) Ck this out in a recent Mercola video interview with Dr Kate of the "Vitamin D3 and the Calcium Paradox" book or Chris Masterjohn's 'recently' published paper on Factor X (K2)
  • Which menaquinone are you referring to at that dose? How did you come to that figure?
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    Please let me know what your serum calcium level is.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• Ease down on the pufa's, dyour diet can be more bp imo
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • Thank you guys for the info.

Just got back from doctor, and from the tests they ran there, apparently there are elevated levels of protein and white blood cells in my urine, evidence of a possible kidney infection. They are sending the sample off to a lab for a more detailed look.

In the meantime the doctor told me to avoid beef and chicken which can both "degrade into the elements that can form uric acid kidney stones, the most common type." He also wants me to cut my daily coffee intake from 16 ounces to at most 8 ounces, and he prescribed Cipro for me.

Are his coffee and beef recommendations well founded? I've been chugging water the past 36 hours.

'Jason wrote:

raw spinach can cause kidney stones, sounds like your not getting many veggies in your diet, more water is always good, digestive enzymes with ox bile work really well for the fat breakdown.

I realized I probably need to up my veggie intake...I used to make a kale shake with carrots, coconut milk, and strawberries...but I'm assuming kale has the oxalate problems that spinach has?

'Allan wrote:

Lothario - Vitamin K2 is supposed to prevent and cure kidney stones. If you're eating real pastured eggs, I'd think that 3 yolks a day would have you covered UNLESS you are doing high level D3 supplementation in which case you need to take about 100mcg k2 per 2,000 iu D3 or risk having calcium deposits in your tissues (aka kidney stones) Ck this out in a recent Mercola video interview with Dr Kate of the "Vitamin D3 and the Calcium Paradox" book or Chris Masterjohn's 'recently' published paper on Factor X (K2)

I'm taking 4,000iu of D3, so I'll definitely look into K2, thank you.

'Pierre wrote:

Ease down on the pufa's, dyour diet can be more bp imo

Where are all the pufa's (polyunsaturated fats?) coming from in my diet? I know the raw almonds for sure, but where else do you see them coming from?
  • Peanuts are bad. Sounds like you eat to much pork, just eat bacon every now and then, not every day.

Get more veggies in your diet. Buy Dave's upgraded chef book and read up on some soups.

Try steaming some cauliflower and eat with your beef. Blend some steamed veggies like celery or leek with cauliflower, butter, salt and apple cider vinegar for sauce.

[email protected]
  • 'Pierre wrote:

Peanuts are bad. Sounds like you eat to much pork, just eat bacon every now and then, not every day.

Get more veggies in your diet. Buy Dave's upgraded chef book and read up on some soups.

Try steaming some cauliflower and eat with your beef. Blend some steamed veggies like celery or leek with cauliflower, butter, salt and apple cider vinegar for sauce.

Thanks Pierre, all sounds delicious. I'll definitely get on that.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Pierre wrote:

Peanuts are bad. Sounds like you eat to much pork, just eat bacon every now and then, not every day.

Do you have a quick recipe how to do the blended cauliflowers? I tried and it wasn't that good, but I probably had too much cauli in there.

• Do you have a quick recipe how to do the blended cauliflowers? I tried and it wasn't that good, but I probably had too much cauli in there.

I steam a cauliflower with either some broccoli, celery, asparagus or leek. Blend half of what you want to have as sauce. Find your favorite mix.

I use 50g butter and two teaspoons of pink salt and a big dash of apple cider vinegar (around 2-3 teaspoons?)

You can use egg yolks or coconut oil to, but butter is the tastiest image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Try with diffrent spices and veggies.

Blend it a couple of minutes.

Im gonna try this with sweet potato soon image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

[email protected]
  • RoarkRoark
    edited January 2013
    'Allan wrote:

Lothario - Vitamin K2 is supposed to prevent and cure kidney stones. If you're eating real pastured eggs, I'd think that 3 yolks a day would have you covered UNLESS you are doing high level D3 supplementation in which case you need to take about 100mcg k2 per 2,000 iu D3 or risk having calcium deposits in your tissues (aka kidney stones) Ck this out in a recent Mercola video interview with Dr Kate of the "Vitamin D3 and the Calcium Paradox" book or Chris Masterjohn's 'recently' published paper on Factor X (K2)

So, is it believed that supplementing D3 without K2 leads to increased calcium and increased risk of kidney stones?

I've read mixed beliefs, and I want to be sure I do everything possible to not repeat my kidney stone episode.

I've been taking 4,000IU of D3 daily (according to Dave's recommendations, I should be closer to 6,000IU), and just recently picked up Life Extension's 'Super K' which is 1000mcg K1, 1000mcg K2 as M4, and 200mcg K2 as M7.

I've upped my veggie intake through Upgraded Chef soups, and my water intake is around a gallon a day now (it was closer to 1-2 quarts prior to kidney stone attack).

Kidney Stone Risk Associated With Long-Term Vitamin D And Calcium Intake: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247284.php

Kidney Stones NOT caused by vitamin D: http://www.grassrootshealth.net/blog/kidney-stones-not-caused-by-vitamin-d/118
  • Where does Robb Wolf talk about protein and kidney stones?
  • Research oxalates. I just got out of the hospital with kidney stones. Spinach, Almonds, Cacao/Chocolate, Raw Kale, Beets, Raspberries, Tumeric and many other "healthy foods" are very high in oxalates. This and calcium contribute to the growth of kidney stones. I'm spending a good chunk of my time determining what to eat. Good luck, and let us know if you find any good resources for low-Oxalate dieting.

• Up your magnesium. Reduce D and C, both major culprits. Balance potassium/sodium. Use calcium from citrate, and try to stay under 1000 mg. Casein, the dairy protein available mostly in cheese, along with vegetable oils are risk factors. Stick with bulletproof diet, and dont worry too much about oxalates, a lot of it is lost in cooking, anyway. Good luck.