Help! My Stomach Really Hurts After Taking The Mct Oil.

Comments

• edited April 2014

I can drink coffee with just MCT oil in it, 1-2 Tbsps, or put it on food and its fine. If I take 1 tbsp on an empty stomach, by itself, at night, it hurts massively.  I've used up to 4 tbsps of MCT oil daily for quite a while now, but I only run into problems when I take it without food or coffee.

I regularly take Betaine HCL with food (I have a history of digestive problems), but not with the coffee with just MCT oil in it.

I have no idea why that pain occurs with MCT oil on an empty stomach. Perhaps its a stomach lining or an acid problem because I'm pretty sure I have very low levels of both.

It's all relative.

• edited April 2014

I used now for 8 months before I could afford to ship the upgraded and had to take beatine hcl for weeks while I upped my dose and adapted...no difference btwn brands for me at all. The ingredient comparison is almost the same.

now foods:

Supplement Facts Serving Size 1 Tablespoon (15 mL)

Servings Per Container about 63   Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Calories   100     Calories from Fat   100     Total Fat   14 g   22%   Saturated Fat   14 g   70%   Trans Fat   0 g   †   Polyunsaturated Fat   0 g   †   Monounsaturated Fat   0 g   †   * Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.

† Daily Value not established.

Other Ingredients:

MCT Oil. MCT Oil from coconut/palm kernel oil.

Upgraded

upgraded-mct-oil-nutrition-info-e1349907

Help me get my blog up and running...check it out for recipes and info

http://adventuresintheuncommon.wordpress.com

• Re: the plastic issue.  I've noticed that where the blender spins with more force, there is like an erosion taking place in the blender jug causing it to look opaque.  

• Do you have any intestinal scarring? I think the MCT oils dissolve scar tissue, which would probably feel...bad.

• Hey Luda, I know it's been awhile since you asked this question. But I too have been running into stomach pains once I started on the Brain Octane. Have you come back to it since then or you know found out any more information on why the stomach acts like that when the oil is introduced? I was using maybe 1.5 to 2 tbsp and then just cut it back to a splash, but still the pain persists. 

Thanks.

• Sorry for those who might not take your suffering seriously...the possibilities most likely would be:

1. The timing is coincidental and you have a GI issue unrelated to the ingestion of MCT Oil;

2. You may have a gall bladder issue (stones, etc.) which the additional fat is triggering;

3. You may have a subclinical parasite or other pathogen infection which is causing the problem.

Whether it is one of these or something else, stop guessing and asking lay persons...this needs to be attended to. Get the appropriate tests done. I can recommend them if you need further guidance.

• I had this EXACT same problem. I don't think the burning is a "good thing"- or that you should endure it because it is killing things . I think this has to do with the caprylic acid in the MCT oils. There is capryilic acid is in coconut oil, MCT oil etc. It has strong anti fungal properties. BUT by switching brands - the source and the strength of the ingredients is obviously different ( even if the label and ingredients looks exactly the same). 

By switching back to your old brand- it didn't go away becausei think the caprylic acid just irritated the gastric lining of your stomach. Did it go away completely after stopping?

• I recently started with the regular oil (1 Tbsp) for about two weeks now, then switched to the upgraded oil taking about one Tbsp. each morning in my coffee. No stomach issues, but after about another week on the upgraded oil I got a very nasty rash (not sure if it's hives or not) on my upper left chest that itches like crazy, along with some stiffness in the area and sore joins on my left side.

I can only assume that it's either an allergy, or perhaps a fungal die-off. The problem is it's hard to tell which it is. I've now completely gone off Dave's oil and even my regular cooking coconut oil and cream (which I had been using for years with no issues of any kind) to give my body a chance to heal. I've had the rash now for about two weeks with no signs of it lessening, though it hasn't gotten worse either.

Anyone experience rashes after being on this oil for a while?

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I recently started with the regular oil (1 Tbsp) for about two weeks now, then switched to the upgraded oil taking about one Tbsp. each morning in my coffee. No stomach issues, but after about another week on the upgraded oil I got a very nasty rash (not sure if it's hives or not) on my upper left chest that itches like crazy, along with some stiffness in the area and sore joins on my left side.

I can only assume that it's either an allergy, or perhaps a fungal die-off. The problem is it's hard to tell which it is. I've now completely gone off Dave's oil and even my regular cooking coconut oil and cream (which I had been using for years with no issues of any kind) to give my body a chance to heal. I've had the rash now for about two weeks with no signs of it lessening, though it hasn't gotten worse either.

Anyone experience rashes after being on this oil for a while?

Tanya,

I have been taking a supplement that has MCT oil every day, and I've been getting hives. Maybe I should avoid the supplement, since you're having rashes from MCT oil. Maybe it is fungal die-off, though. Have you found anything more out about yours since you posted this?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

Exactly! The second article is the one I read. So you agree that could be the issue, right?

Also, do you think removing the MCT will get rid of the hives over time? I really hope so, because they suck!

• I've started taking MCT oil with my morning coffee a few weeks ago, WOW do I feel alert and I don't get a energy crash when the caffeine wears off. Unfortunately I did get the punch in the gut (major pain) from day one of using it and a leaky butt. the issues subsided to a more manageable level after 2weeks when I tried a few different approaches like taking it with some bread in the morning or waiting till mid-morning before I took it and it did help a bit, but I still feel the pain (shorter periods and less pain, or i'm just getting used to it). 

I take one tsp in the morning and one after lunch, the one in the afternoon is less painful. 

Is anyone aware or using any other oils or supplements to create mental alertness/energy? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks 

• Took a month break from MCT and started back with a small amount the last few mornings on my toast with Peanut butter. Everything seems fine with Zero effects, I wonder if my tummy got accustomed to the oil?? 

• Took a month break from MCT and started back with a small amount the last few mornings on my toast with Peanut butter. Everything seems fine with Zero effects, I wonder if my tummy got accustomed to the oil?? 

Again, as it has been touched on many times in this thread (sorry for the thread necromancy guys!) The pain you experienced could have been coincidental. Put the oil back in your coffee and resume life the same way you did a month ago, and see if the pain comes back. You mentioned you have toast in the morning, grain (among other foods) can cause a leaky gut, which could have been the issue, and not the oil. Are you eating Bulletproof by any chance?