New To Bp

Hello All,

I am new to BP and would like to make sure I understand the general concepts correctly before attempting the diet. I have a lot of weight to lose 90-100lbs I would like to start the BP diet along with the Intermittent Fasting in the morning. Now if i understood what i read correctly i follow this basic routine every day 7 days a week:

Time wake - 2PM : have BP cofee. If i am hungry i can have another cup of BP coffee

2PM - 8PM: eat following the BP diet staying as close to the green side as possible and do no drink BP coffee during this time.

Is that the basic concept? has anyone had success with this? Also if/when i reach my goal do i just switch to the full BP diet?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al

Comments

• Welcome.

Yes, you have a general idea of the basics.

I have lost about four inches from my waist in about five or six months. Starting off I just swapped out my coffee sugar bomb in the morning and afternoon to bulletproof style. Slowly I removed foods that were not BP and got deeper into removing carbs to the point of refeeding every two to four days. On my day off from work I sometimes eat breakfast of eggs and bacon otherwise only eat lunch and dinner. It takes time, but you start to learn how foods react with you when you have cleaned up your diet. For example, gluten does not have the same extreme effect on me as others, but it is enough that I avoid it whenever possible.
  • Thank you for your reply. can you explain what you mean by "refeeding every two to four days" does that mean you do an IF fast for say 3 consecutive days then eat normally on the 4th day?

• Thank you for your reply. can you explain what you mean by "refeeding every two to four days" does that mean you do an IF fast for say 3 consecutive days then eat normally on the 4th day?

Women seem to need a refeed 2x or more a week, most men are good with 1x a week. Refeed ≠ cheat. You're still eating BP foods, but the macronutrient (carb/fat/protein) ratios change.  

Because the BP diet infographic suggests you only have one serving of starch or fruit per day, in the evening, the rest of your carbs are coming from veggies, and so much of that is fiber that this counts as a fairly low carb diet. (Net carbs are the usable carbs, they are total carbs minus fiber.) 

So, a refeed is a day where you focus on getting a lot more carbs. I go for a minimum of 150g net carbs, but in a recent article on BP diet for women Dave suggested as high as 300g carbs. This is a lot. Multiple cups of white rice, or many sweet potatoes. This will ensure your body doesn't downregulate metabolism, and doesn't think you have low access to carbs. If your body "thinks" you do not have abundant access to food, it will hold on to fat. 

If you increase intense exercise, daily carb needs will increase as well, generally in the post-workout window and evening. 

You can do an advanced search on the forum for "refeed" and find plenty of additional info. 

• edited November 2014

Thanks for the info. I think i am still confused as I see there are multiple types of fasting:

1. Fast from 8PM night before to 2PM next day using BP coffee and supplements. This i look at as regular fasting.

2. Fast using BP coffee & supplements for 5-6 days straight having 1-2 refeed days. This is the the rapid fat loss protocol

I think this is why i am confused as I am at first more interested to see if my body can handle the first type of fasting from 8PM night before to 2PM and eating BP diet after 2PM. I was under the assumption while eating from 2PM -8PM i would be eating carbs unless i misunderstood something. 

Please correct me if i am mistaken as I am new and still trying to understand the protocols.

• Hey everyone so today is day 3 on BP IF. So far the only downside i have is slight headaches while fasting in the morning. Everyday they seem to be a little less intense. My hunger is definitely not existent which is great. Is having these slight headaches normal at first starting the BP IF protocol? im assuming my body is adjusting to this new lifestyle. 

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!

I, too, am new to this, trying to find my way. 

Here is my problem.  I am NOT hungry.  At all! 

So could one of the pros tell me what I should eat if I can only eat a little bit ? 

I do the BP coffee every morning, and basically am only eating once - around 4-6 pm.  Veggies and either GF beef or fish.

Any/all suggestions very welcome!

OH - it might help to say that I am a 54 year old female who wants to lose 70 pounds.

• No galbladder and after 4pm hunger wnd evening fruit cravings.
  • Ps. Age 55 female, added collagen to 1pm bp coffee.
  • Is there ever any responses to posts on here? I see lots of questions but no answers.
  • People do answer, but it is the holidays so people may not be spending a lot of time reading forums ….

I haven't been around long enough so I don't feel I'm suitable to answer ..

• Ajfiorillo, I don't have an answer re: the headaches, sorry. Are you still having them? 

Cruiser42, that's an interesting problem. What are you putting in your bulletproof coffee?  

Ginal5, you can get more information regarding supplementation because of a lack of a gallbladder here. The infographic says you can have one serving of fruit or starch in the evenings. Berries, a banana or an apple with cinnamon and grass-fed/organic cream is a decent choice, especially compared to chips or ice cream. Also, collagen is great. If you notice that you're not losing weight while doing the intermittent fasting with bulletproof coffee + collegen, I'd recommend having the collagen it in the evening dissolved in water or chamomile tea rather than the morning. Timing can matter for some people, like me. 

• Cruiser42Cruiser42 Want to look like this again - or BETTER!
    edited December 2014

Hi, Kayaker -

I make 2 cups.  I put 4 tbsp of Kerry gold unsalted butter and 2-3 tbsp of MCT oil.  That's it. 

Last night, I ate a cereal bowl full of baked broccoli (maybe 12 stalks?) and some meatballs (I had to grind them up) from the recipies. 

About 2 hours later, I did eat some "dessert" - a concoction I make from Lindt 90%, coconut milk and shredded coconut, plus a little raw honey and 1 packet of Stevia.

That was it for food for me yesterday.  That's been typical.

I didn't eat a lot of food before I started this, but the coffee really does fill me up!  I just don't want to undo the good work by not eating enough of the right things to lose the fat.

Thanks for replying !!!  I appreciate it.

• edited December 2014
    Ginal5, you can get more information regarding supplementation because of a lack of a gallbladder here. The infographic says you can have one serving of fruit or starch in the evenings. Berries, a banana or an apple with cinnamon and grass-fed/organic cream is a decent choice, especially compared to chips or ice cream. Also, collagen is great. If you notice that you're not losing weight while doing the intermittent fasting with bulletproof coffee + collegen, I'd recommend having the collagen it in the evening dissolved in water or chamomile tea rather than the morning. Timing can matter for some people, like me.
    [/quote]

Thank you kayaker! I will try the collagen in night time tea to see if it makes a difference. I stopped the fruit at night cause Dave said to speed weight loss forgo fruit and dairy on 2 week induction. I love my fruit after dinner, don't feel so deprived.
  • I know I am just a newcomer myself (3 weeks in), but I wanted to share a bit of my experience so that it would help others that come to this particular forum.  I have been battling high blood pressure and general fatigue for some time. 

Like many of you here, I read Dave's book and wanted to get started straight away.  So I ordered my BP Coffee & MCT oil & started the intermittent fasting.  I began to eliminate sugar, grains, bad oil, and toxins from my diet.  All this really made a difference.

But after a week or so, what really helped me to solidify the lifestyle changes that we being recommended was to go back and reread the book a bit more slowly.  I took some notes and made some outlines I could quickly reference.  I also printed out the food chart and put it to use.  If I had to make one suggestion, it would be to review the book.  The information content is really dense, and it helps to reinforce it a bit.  There are also quite a food good recipe books dedicated to Bulletproof.

Dave breaks things down really good.  What he says makes a lot of sense, and he backs it up with plenty of reference and personal experience.  Much of what he says goes against convention, but do not let that discourage you.  I have been a student of diet for over 20 years, and I too have found that many of the 'commonly accepted facts' about our diet are meant to serve a food and pharmacology industry that is more concerned with their profits as opposed to our health.  A lot of what Dave says aligns with NEW research as well as the improving organic food supply chain.

I just took my blood pressure after a cup of really good BP coffee, it was 127/86.  Incredible, my bottom number is rarely under 90, and my blood pressure has never been this low after coffee.  I am using this coffee in conjunction with the BP eating plan.  Again this stresses the elimination of sugars, bad grains, bad oils, and all toxins.  You then elevate your intake of quality proteins, good fats, and quality vegetables.  All this while integrating intermittent fasting and light exercise.  Read the book, you'll see!

I sincerely hope this helps & I wish all newcomers the best of luck.

Take care.

• I am also new to the BP diet. Do you guys take the 10 supplements that Dave recommends for everyone? I just started taking them, but they make me really sick to my stomach-- to the point where I throw up roughly 10 minutes after taking them in the morning. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? I got the brands recommended by Dave and they seem to be high quality. Any help would be appreciated! 

• I am also new to the BP diet. Do you guys take the 10 supplements that Dave recommends for everyone? I just started taking them, but they make me really sick to my stomach-- to the point where I throw up roughly 10 minutes after taking them in the morning. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? I got the brands recommended by Dave and they seem to be high quality. Any help would be appreciated! 

I take them, yes. You should not take things that make you puke. There is also a time listed for each supplement, for example magnesium is before bed, so it might be an issue if you take them all at once. Also, if you are allergic go shellfish, krill is a no-go. 

I would stop taking them and re-introduce them one at a time, in the hopes of isolating one that's causing problems. For example take only vitamin D in the morning for a few days, and if that's OK, then add magnesium before bed for a few days, etc. etc. 

• Sorry for the delayed response...i drifted away from the BP diet a little before the holidays due to sickness and am back on it today. Will follow up with results.

• Kat:  I agree with ACH85.  I would also ask whether or not you are taking your supplements with food.  It may be a good idea to mix the bulk of your stuff in with your meals.  I am in the habit of taking a majority of the vitamins (the ones the book says can be taken any time) before I eat.  Then I follow by starting my meal within a minute or two after.  You can even take a vitamin and then take a bite to help wash it down.

Sorry to hear about this, I hope you get better results with the tweaks suggested here.

Take care.

• Kat sorry to hear about your experience as well hopefully it will get better with the suggested tweaks.

I have been back on the BP diet for a week and having doing very well. No headaches at all this time around. I do notice that 1 cup of BPC does not last me till my meal 1-2PM. I usaully have 1 cup of BPC with 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons MTC oil around 7-7:30 and then around 11 i usually will have another one to get me to my meal. I have been drinking alot of water as well to help keep me filled up. I know Dave says we can drink as much BPC as we need during the fast but was just curious as to who else drinks 2 cups or more per day?

Thanks everyone.

• edited January 2015

AJ - I've been experimenting with the same thing.  I have a little bit different schedule.  I usually have my first cup around 6am.  Then another by 10am.  I was having three in that same time period but it felt like too much, and gave me a bit of anxiety.

Before bulletproof, I would have to slam 3-4 cups of sugary creamy coffee in that same time period just get flush on my day, and then keep on with tea throughout the day.  Now, these two cups do me right and I am set for the day.  After a couple of weeks, I also added in L-theanine, BP unfair advantage, and the BP aging formula in the mornings; and this combo with the AM vitamins really seems to be working for me.  The theanine takes the edge off the coffee.  Do some research you'll find it is recommended as a great combo with coffee.

I use the same recipe with two tbs of butter, two tbs of MCT brain octane, but I am adding two tbs of cacao.  this is a very satisfying morning drink, and I have no problems making my 18 hour daily fast.

I may start adding one more serving of BP coffee in the 1-2pm range to help if I plan on activities later in the afternoon or early evening.  It seems to help if you spread it out with 3-4 hours gap between servings.

If you love the coffee and don't want the extra caffeine push, maybe the decaf would be something to try.  I've ordered a bag for those occasions, I'll try to check back in and let you know how it is. 

Good luck AJ!

take care.

• @Scott S im glad to see i am not the only one who was drinking more then cup per day. I actually found a thread on the forum and i see most people drink around 2 maybe 3 cups per day. I Think it really depends on you as everyone is different. I was concerned about the calorie intake at first since each cup is roughly 400 calories but since i have alot of weight to lose it doesnt seem to hinder my weight loss at all as this week i have successfully lost 1 pound per day. Although it was my first week back and most likely water weight i will continue to monitor it and see if having the extra cups of coffee affects the results.  Good luck to you as well!

Al

• Al, thanks for the kind words.  Since this post I have taken to spreading out my servings of coffee by 3-4 hours.  This way I can enjoy a cup at 6am, 10am, and 1 or 2pm.  It seems to be working pretty good.  Since I love the BP coffee so much, I'm also going to give the decaf a whirl.

Congrats on your weight loss, don't forget to protein fast every 7 days.  I skipped mine and stopped losing weight.  When I worked the protein fast back into my routine, the weight loss resumed.  google the topic, Dave has a very good blog on this. See my other posts for more.

take care!

• Hey Scott...thanks for the info regarding the protein fast. I did not do one last week. I will try to do one this week.  What do you normally eat during your protein fast? the morning is quite easy as you just have the bulletproof coffee. For lunch i was thinking some white rice avocado and butter.

Also back to the coffee subject i have only been drinking one cup a day the past few days and when i noticed i needed something a little extra i would eat 1tbsp of butter and that satisfied me. I bought some coconut oil which i have been putting on some of my food as well and will try eating a tbsp of that when i feel the need to have something during my morning fast since. I maybe weird i actually enjoy the taste of it.

All the best,

Al

• edited January 2015

I've settled on two things for my starch.  Good quality white rice and organic sweet potatoes.  For the rice you must be careful, because consumer reports recently released an article concerning white rice and arsenic levels being very dangerous.  A quick search on the internet will give you more information.  Anyway, you'll want to source California white rice which was found to have the least arsenic and is safest, I use Lundberg's white basmati.  I couldn't find any local, so I ordered a 6 pack of bags from Amazon.  Don't forget to rinse and soak the rice, add one tbs of grass fed butter when you cook it .  For the sweet potatoes, make sure to get organic, wash them good and peel them.  I found a great recipe where I saute sliced or julienne in coconut MCT oil (Natures way extra virgin organic), before putting them in I toss the rinsed pieces in celtic salt and organic turmeric.  I saute them until golden brown, turning them frequently.

Also don't forget to do a carb recharge day too.  This is where you eat an excess of carbs in your evening meal, for instance 3 cups of rice instead of one.  This keeps your body fueled and lets the 'Labrador brain' know you are not starving.

So you have two really good meals of an ideal starch, one rice plus green zone veggies, and one sweet potato with more green zone veggies.  Dave says you can snack if you want with fruit, although I would eat it toward the end of the eating timeframe.  I eat at noon and 6pm, and a couple of snacks in between.

Yes, I know what you mean about the butter.  I enjoy it on my food no doubt.  But Dave mentions in the book that it does not have the same effect if you just eat it.  There is something about putting it in the blender and macerating it that makes it more effective in satisfying you.  I've got a simple thermos and I make extra BP coffee and take it with me.  But you can substitute tea for coffee, and even use a caffeine free tea such as mint or tulsi instead of the coffee.  I've blended up some pretty good caffeine free drinks with tea, butter, MCT, and cacao butter; I also add a dash of cinnamon.

If you read through the book quickly at first, like I did.  It really helped me to go back and reread it, typing up a few brief notes as I went.  This method really helped me to solidify the plan and put it into action effectively.  Then I always come back to these forums for specific questions.  Remember, we are learning as we go and tweaking things specifically for us because we are all different.

keep up the good work, enjoy!

• Thanks for all that great info. Will keep you posted on progress