Neurofeedback As A Treatment For Mental Issues

Hi, I would like to ask you guys for your advice and recommendation about buying full EEG equipemnt with proper software primarily intended for treating my anxiety problems.

My brief background, I have tried over 35 different medications, lots of supplements, nootropics and I also went through various types of therapies (for example CBT, CBT hypnotherapy, group therapy...) but unfortunately I have not reached any measurable progress in my treatment yet. For 10 years of my treatment, I have visited almost 4-5 psychiatrists and I ended up at the same point where I started at the beginning .

Now, I would like to try some non-invasive and non-drug treatment approach and EEG neurofeedback seems like good option, even though it is quite expensive and I am still not sure how much it could help with my social phobia and avoidant personality disorder (my level of anxiety currently bordering on isolation so its quite bad now). I also suffering from depression, GAD, slight OCD (mostly in a way of perfectionism) and some cognitive issues as a result of long-term benzodiazepine use.

I am currently considering about trying the TAGsnyc protocol (especially since I have read some positive reports on anxiety). I would like to ask you for your opinion, what type of device would you advice me for these problems and if I would decided to go with Q-wiz amplifier, Electrodes, Bioexplorer, TAGsync (basiclly I am considering to buy the whole bundle for 1,934 bucks from mindsupplies.com), I really wonder to know, if this unit and operating software is too hard, too complicated to operate for a person who is basically a beginner in the field of EEG neurofeedback (so far, I have only tried the Emwave2 and CES device - David Delight Pro) ?

I have something over 2000 euros set aside, but unfortunately I do not have any experiences with this type of devices. However if there is any promising chance that I could benefit from using it for my condition I am determined to leran how to operate it!

I was also considering to get Neuroptimal rental system for 700 dollars (without shipping fees), but I decided to rather invest my money to my own device without any time limit. I also read the TAGsync is more powerful in comparison to Neuroptimal.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you could provide

Tagged:

Comments

• Spent ~5k AUD$ on the full bells and whistles kit from Brain Trainer as I am not 'sold' on the science behind neuroptimal. It's the best thing I ever did. With the kit I can train 4ch eeg, nIR HEG and any pattern/program I want to (unlike neuroptimal where you are locked into it's push-button system).

• I haven't had any quantitative brain scans performed like a SPECT or fMRI under task so it's purely subjective.

The benefits are ongoing. In fact, this year one of my priority re-shuffles with respect to my health is to increase the volume of NFB training to be somewhere around 10 hours per week.

I work with it as much as I want. My time availability to use the system is my rate limiting cause at the moment. Depending on what's being trained and how difficult it is to precipitate a change in the brainwaves tends to determine how large the time investment needs to be. In some cases, people don't see dramatic changed until 40 sessions in. It really depends on your brain state so I can't really provide any concrete insight into the time commitment required sorry.

• I haven't had any quantitative brain scans performed like a SPECT or fMRI under task so it's purely subjective.

The benefits are ongoing. In fact, this year one of my priority re-shuffles with respect to my health is to increase the volume of NFB training to be somewhere around 10 hours per week.

I work with it as much as I want. My time availability to use the system is my rate limiting cause at the moment. Depending on what's being trained and how difficult it is to precipitate a change in the brainwaves tends to determine how large the time investment needs to be. In some cases, people don't see dramatic changed until 40 sessions in. It really depends on your brain state so I can't really provide any concrete insight into the time commitment required sorry.

did you study a lot of books on eeg before you did it, i notice on brain trainer you get a free 4 hour tutorial if you buy their devices 

Watch my Stand Up Comedy Video online :)

Please Subscribe to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI92eERrCc

• I just bought a NeurOptimal system and am very pleased so far. Overwhelming anxiety was my main personal issue. Post session it pulls me right out of theanxiety. I understand that it will take a number sessions for that to become permanent, as it lasts a couple of hours at this point. And oh, the restful sleep afterwards is so nice.

All the best with your search for the right system for YOU.
  • Ease up  guys, I don't LIVE on the forums so my responses may be delayed.

Some clarification:

Yes 10 hours may seem like a lot, but I'm choosing to increase my training because I've felt such dramatic responses in myself from as little as 1-2 hours per week. I also meditate and do HRV daily (often times one interchanges the other, some days I do both back to back), binaural beats, isochronic tones, Holosync, CES, tDCS, HEG etc. You name it, I've pretty much got it to play with.

I like nfb because it lasts. It's not like tDCS where I spend 30 mins getting juiced then have the effects wear off after an hour or two. Great when you've got it, but I'm interested in longer lasting solutions. However it is important to understand that it takes time for your brainwaves to adjust permanently, hence why I am stepping up my commitment more seriously to accelerate the process.

The more you learn about NFB and study the studies, it becomes quite apparent that the greatest effects come between 20-40 sessions to solidify the changes. Standard session lengths run about 30-40 mins with 20 mins prep and clean up to fill an hour. At home I have the luxury to setup and strap in for an hour or two at a time if I choose to. My mind will tell me when enough is enough, it is very noticeable the fatigue and mental commitment required to adapt to the stimulus. Hopefully this makes it clear why I am choosing a larger commitment at the moment, so that I can enjoy less frequent involvement in the future (unless I choose to work on something interesting).

I too, like you, sought out nfb for brain fog, procrastination, attention & motivation related issues. There is definitely a lot to be said about working on correcting micronutrient deficiencies (especially understanding how to supplement the primary neurotransmitter pathways adequately) that work in conjunction with nfb. I'm about to start on an intensive nutrient based therapy and am expecting to see better than average responses to the nfb training. If your pfc isn't getting enough nutrition to metabolise the required neurotransmitters required for attention and brain fog issues, then I've often pondered the remarkable ability of the mind to adapt so well with nfb in a state of biochemical starvation. I digress here a little, but it's important to note that there is no 'magic bullet', no mental-panacea so to speak. Everything is in the body is correlated to everything in synnergistic harmony, pulling hard on one corner to adjust brainwave function without adjusting the other antagonists is an inefficient path to the solution. Use all the tools together however and we'll all be on our way to better health.

As for whether it's more effective than free/other solutions independently...I'd say it depends. Without EEG equipment, how could we determine that my brain has excessive beta-spindling activity especially on the temporals? With EEG equipment I was able to learn that I have a very hard time developing frontal alpha and have a susceptibility when under task (ie, I actually want to concentrate on doing this this thing), to develop slow-wave frontal dominance. I'm not sure what other equipment would allow me to assess the way my mind works and then actively work to disrupt those patterns. Meditation would work slowly over time, but it predominantly increases alpha activity so I'm not sure how it could help with the other interesting patterns in my mind. Nutritional supplementation to alleviate other health issues (hormones, metal toxicity, GI health, diet, methylation etc) all may help but they aren't free. Again we're back to the old magic bullet philosophy which I discussed earlier.

@Isuldur: I am always trying to learn more. I do not need to be a master, but I prefer to try and build up a baseline level of knowledge that will allow me to no longer lean on another individual(s) knowledge. The 4 hours included in one of their packages was used to help teach me how to carry out EEG/HEG sessions, how to use the software, understanding montages and the training plans and stuff like that. It's a quickstart to get you going so that you DO more stuff instead of trying to LEARN more stuff. They are very proactive in getting people to understand, implement and learn from doing rather than reading. I found it quite refreshing to be honest.

Hope this helps :-)

• Check your body for infections, such as marcons, strep, parasites, and more.

Other than that, I highly recommend Elliot hulses YouTube channel.
  • If someone wants to sell, I am interested in buying following equipment :

-Q-wiz

-Bioexplorer

-HEG headset

please let me know via PM. thanks.