Get Big And Strong Without Insulin Spikes And Fast Carbs?

McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

I have concerns with the insulin response to fast (high glycemic) carbs. Ive suffered with acne and oily skin most of my life and believe based on research high levels of insulin and IGF-1 lead to increased oil production and acne. Theses alot of info out there on this.

My concerns are related to pre and post workout fast carbs. I recently started 50g dextrose/ 25g protein pre and post and have seen a major increase in oily skin and acne. Im almost sure the dextrose insulin spike was the reason.

I want to experiment with minimizing elevated/spiked insulin levels but still want to tune my carbs correctly to fuel my training. Whats the workaround for this? Ive "heard" somewhere its not critical to replenish glycogen immediately after a workout and you aparantly have somewhere close to 24 hours to do this. Though, I know the spike immediately postWO is beneficial to shuttle free hormones to muscle receptors along with aminos to prevent catabolism.  

Questions:

Can I get away with a slow carb (sweet potato/butter) late lunch (430) 2 hours before a workout as my preWO carbs and postWO a protein shake (no dextrose or fast carbs) followed by a slow carb refeed BP dinner (maybe with slightly less fat)?

Whey and BCAAs also elevate insulin how can I control the response?

Will recovery suffer with the avoidance of elevated insulin levels?

RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Supplier of 100% Grass Fed Pasture Raised Whey Protein Bars

www.rawgrassfedproteinbars.com

Tagged:

Comments

• One thing I noticed when I went bulletproof was the amazing effect on my skin. Within a week i didn't get a single pimple and would have no need to wash my face as it was never oily. Since doing dextrose and carb back loading . I've noticed the return of oily skin and a few pimples here and there. Might also be related to some of the bad carbs I've had in the back load window (cake and pizza here and there). That's my n=1 anyway.
  • You don't need insulin or fast carbs to get big n strong.

Insulin has it benefits if used properly but is far from a necessity .

Glutamine or surplus amino acids will get converted to glucose post workout to replenish glycogen stores if no carbs are consumed .

It's harder to have food shuttled into fat cells when insulin isn't present hence why low carb dieters are leaner than high carbers , generally.
  • McTech0911McTech0911 RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

I do plan to stay moderate to high carb to fuel my training 4 days per week. My question is really around carbs pre and post workout. Im looking at 200-300g a day of carbs on training days. I want to avoid elevated insulin levels so plan to use slow carbs most likely sweet potato or rice either with butter/coconut oil.

Will the fat added to these carbs around training time be a problem? Everyone says NO FAT NEAR TRAINING so...?

RAW Grass Fed Protein Bars

Supplier of 100% Grass Fed Pasture Raised Whey Protein Bars

www.rawgrassfedproteinbars.com

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭

I do plan to stay moderate to high carb to fuel my training 4 days per week. My question is really around carbs pre and post workout. Im looking at 200-300g a day of carbs on training days. I want to avoid elevated insulin levels so plan to use slow carbs most likely sweet potato or rice either with butter/coconut oil.

Will the fat added to these carbs around training time be a problem? Everyone says NO FAT NEAR TRAINING so...?

good question about the fat post workout. hope you get an answer.

i don't have the answer myself. tho i do seem to recall a comment on another thread saying that mct oil post workout is fine (i guess the inference there being that non-mct fats are not fine...?). 

fake it till you make it

• Try switching the dextrose for another carb product like vitargo pre/post for a couple weeks to see if there is an improvement with the acne. If you do switch to sweet potato/rice, don't add fat, the GI of those are way less than dextrose already.

Is it okay to add the fat at the tail end of the six hour post workout window? I train around 12-2 and have dinner at 7-9 and struggle to get my calories high enough without adding butter to my rice at dinner time. Im usually hitting a gram of carbs per pound on training days with 60g coming from dextrose immediately post workout.

Am I leaving size gains on the table by restricting my carbs this much on training days? Ideally I'd like to put on muscle with a minimal amount of fat gain as possible.