Biohacking Extreme Functional Flexibility

Hello Bulletproof Forums-

Longtime listener, first time in the forums. I am keen to enhance my active/functional flexibility to improve my performance as a longtime yogi and aspiring aerialist.

My joints are naturally flexible (ie-weak) but I want to achieve extreme range of motion without tugging at the joints and wearing down precious cartilage. Anyone care to share their favorite training techniques, tips or resources for healthy contortion training?

I am taking Serrapeptase and Curcumin. Anything else I could be tweaking in my diet? I'm more like in a light green zone of the diet than completely dialed in at the moment.

The image is a reference for a commission for a sculpture someone wants me to model for. Hoping to get somewhere in this range as soon as possible...

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I am sort of interested in flexibility as well. I know that Dave a couple of times demonstrated that he's become very flexible but I don't know what he did to achieve that...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I do Beachbody's "PiYo Workout" program. It's functional fitness, strength, and flexibility. Honestly? It kept my body going when I was doing 8+ hours a day of construction. It's also significantly improved my flexibility. 

I'm 100% a fan of it.

• Dave claims his flexibility is due to consuming Upgraded collagen. Plus, that will strengthen the connective tissue in your naturally flexible "weak" joints. You could throw in some reasonably high doses of vitamin C as well, which I believe helps (or is at least related to – see the Steve Fowkes podcast) the body's natural production of collagen. 

Kelly Starrett's (mobilitywod.com) concepts help with my flexibility when I bother to practice them regularly. 

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Dave said in one YouTube video that he trained himself somehow while he put his leg behind his head live on stage...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I believe* that flexibility is part-genetic, there will be certain positiions that you can and cannot do simply because of how your skeleton was formed in the womb. It is possible to train to be more flexible. Things like yoga are great not only to improve your functional flexibility (ie, the stuff you can do while still supporting your weight). According to a recent Ben Greenfield's podcast, static stretching is important because it teaches your brain and body that you can go a lot further then your mental body-map thinks it can. And by doing lots of statics, you can rewrite that map, meaning that you'll be overall more flexible.

*- Deadlier words were never said. I am no MD, just another idiot with a bunch of reading done...

• Curcumin I find is an anti-inflammatory supplement. I like BioMed Curcumin, but it is pricey. 

For flexibility: Foam rolling and myofascial releasing will help break up scar tissue and increase mobility. Also active modalities like graston therapy or Active Release Therapy would have awesome affects for range of motion. 

In addition to vitamin c, high dose MSM is a nice compliment to the C for joint restoration.