Amino Acid Supplement

I was telling a sports person about my taking about 10-20 grams of glutamine/day depending on whether I work out or not. 

They suggested I'd be better served by a free form amino acid when I work out and recommended two products by Infinity Fitness called Muscle Synthesis  and MR.

http://www.infinityfitness.com/products/msp.html

http://www.infinityfitness.com/products/mr.html

Curious what people think.

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    I would give them a miss. They do not give a breakdown of the aminoes. 'proprietary blend'. so you have no idea what you are getting/paying for

fake it till you make it

• I was told that I should use a free form amino acid formula instead of BCAAs. BCAAs apparently reduce to tryptophan levels in the brain and from the results of a recent ion panel, my tryptophan levels in the brain are virtually nonexistent. iThinking it may make sense to stay away from them for a while.
    edited February 2015

...BCAAs apparently reduce to tryptophan levels in the brain and from the results of a recent ion panel, my tryptophan levels in the brain are virtually nonexistent. iThinking it may make sense to stay away from them for a while.

Correct, the BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine and valine) compete with tryptophan to cross the blood brain barrier...

But it's not limited to just the BCAAs, all the large neutral amino acids (LNAAs) will compete with tryptophan.

Tryptophan is a LNAA, the others are; leucine, isoleucine, valine, tyrosine, histidine, phenylalanine, methionine, threonine.

[ tryptophan, histidine, phenylalanine, and tyrosine are also known as aromatic amino acids (ArAAs) ]

fake it till you make it

• Yikes, I had no idea. 

Do you think it would make sense for me to stay away from amino acid formulas until my tryptophan levels get regulated or do the benefits outweigh the costs? 

edited February 2015

how did they test your brain tryptophan levels, I did not know that was possible.

do you have symptoms of low trypt.

how is your sleep.

perhaps post up all your test info/results (incl units & lab ranges) and your symptoms.

fake it till you make it

• I did the ion panel through Genova. I don't really know how to post the results. It is a really long test besides. As for my symptoms, I have insomnia and a bit an anxious and worried a lot. I have trouble relaxing and enjoying.  Also have a lot of difficulties with concentration and attention. Was for some relevant results, my tyrosine was quite low at 37 (ref range 29-80). My glutamine was on the high end at 585 (ref 338-630). My typtophan/LNAA was low at .083 (ref. range -.095-.106). This is the indicator that my tryptophan isn't getting into the brain. 

Besides the question as to whether I should be taking an amino acid formula given that it competes with tryptophan, I'm now wondering if I should also be taking the 10-20 grams glutamine/day that I've been taking, since I just noticed that it was on the high end. i read somewhere that excess glutamine gets converted to glutamate.

Would love people's thoughts on both. 

I will try & add some more info in another comment when I get home.

but for now, why are you taking 10 to 20 g of glutamine p/d

fake it till you make it

• To help boost lean muscle mass. Mine is on the low end of normal.
    edited February 2015

To help boost lean muscle mass. Mine is on the low end of normal.

i do not recall glutamine doing anything special in that regard...got any refs/articles.

(Creatine, yes)

fake it till you make it

• That glutamate is probably why you're having difficulty concentrating. It makes your brain noisy.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

edited February 2015

... i read somewhere that excess glutamine gets converted to glutamate.

this is where it gets complicated (& way over my head)...

my understanding is that glutamine has no problem crossing the blood brain barrier, from there it can be converted to l-glutamate (sometimes called glutamic acid)...

however l-glutmate is a precursor to GABA. and brain gaba (inhibitory) levels balance with brain glutamate (excitatory) levels.

i have seen glutamine recommended to raise brain GABA levels.

so does too much dietary glutamine raise brain glutamate levels too high in relation to brain gaba levels...? it's possible i presume, but i do not know

fake it till you make it

edited February 2015
    moving to your Typtophan/LNAA (Large Neutral Amino Acids) result done by Genova.

first of all, this has to be a snapshot right...? ie. the 'state' of your blood when the blood was drawn. so think about that for a moment, it's important. ie. time of draw, foods/supps eaten/taken. drinks. exertion/exercise etc etc. another blood draw under different conditions could have be vastly different (perhaps?).

Tryptophan basically competes with protein* to get across the blood brain barrier (BBB). *i say protein in general, but it's more specifically the amino acids; leucine, isoleucine, valine, tyrosine, histidine, phenylalanine, methionine, threonine (that i know of).

i'm gonna get a bit vague here, because i do not have the time to dig up specifics refs etc & also because i think a lot of this stuff is still unknown. so i may not be technically correct on some of this. but hopefully the gist of it is meaningful...& others can chime in & add/correct...

...to insure you get 'enough' tryptophan across the BBB, may be a matter of tweaking & timing...ie. you need to 'draw' out (of your blood) as many competing amino acids as you can, ie. draw them into your muscles...Jason Miller would know all about this...post w/o carbs (along with any protein) to raise insulin rings a bell.

Also, stick to higher protein earlier in day & taper towards end of day & low carb earlier in day and increase to end of day. carbs will help** get the tryptophan to the brain in the evening (before sleep). **iirc, the carbs help indirectly by 'removing' competing amino acids from the blood & hence increasing the ratio of tryptophan to other amino acids.

apparently in the book 'Potatoes Not Prozac' (which i have not read), it talks about getting tryptophan to the brain by raising insulin by eating a potato (with no protein) before bed. < me paraphrasing. & i do not recall timings...other than 'before bed'.

(this all fits in with the oft quoted 'carbs before bed' helps with sleep saying).

Having said all that, you may not even have low brain tryptophan.

& some people report sleeping better when they eat protein before bed.

so experiment & find out is the moral i guess.

fake it till you make it

hi Eilee66, have you done any further research on any of this stuff...did you discover much...make any changes...

fake it till you make it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file