Need Higher Performance At Work. Nootropics?

I'm writing this while I have a head-cold so I hope this makes sense.

I work for a fortune 500 company as a web-designer. Over the next month my job is going to get crazy. It does every year. 5 years in a row.

On top of my work requirements, I have just started a software company with two partners, I run a passive income website, I'm going to be working on a big freelance gig this month, and I have a wife and two kids. I'm trying to increase my performance overall so that I can provide even better for my family.

I've experimented with a few supplements in the past from my local gas station (Choline in Vitamin Water, vinpocetine and sulbutiamine from Redline energy drink) and now I'm looking to upgrade to something much stronger. I'm looking to get out of the "mind fog", focus, energy, and a mood enhancement. Any recommendations? I'm not looking for anything "subtle".

A little background: I consider myself of above average intelligence, but...I feel like I'm constantly living in a mental fog. I sometimes come out of this fog but I haven't been able to quantify it. Looking to quantify it. I'm currently running through the Brain Trainer App (currently on Basic Training - Session 8) from Luminosity on my phone and I have the horrible BPI score of 628. I am also going to take an IQ test to get a baseline. I'd like to continue to utilize Nootropics to increase my IQ and BPI score after the "crazy month" I'm about to have.

My diet is the slow-carb diet from The Four Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, I've lost 30 lbs on it (30 more to go). I'm looking forward to getting back on the PAGG stack to accelerate my fat loss. My current morning supplements are 1 tbsp of Kerrygold butter with breakfast, 10,000 iu of Vitamin D, 2000mg of Vitamin C, 200mg of b12, slightly runny eggs in the morning (for the choline).

Looking forward to your thoughts and also getting some MCT oil and Bulletproof coffee. image/icon_razz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-P' />

Comments

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    Slow-carb is a problem for performance. It is not possible to take in all those anti-nutrients/toxins and be a high performance person. A super TIGHT BP diet is ideal for high mental performance. If you joined the dark side of BP , you'd probably eradicate your mind fog.

For me it's kinda like this: Entry level (slow-carb) -> paleo variants -> ULTRA (BP diet) image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

You'll definitely find few, if any, slow-carb proponents here. It's just inferior by design.

You are also definitely NOT taking 200mg of B12. MCG, my sir.

Choline is cheap, if you want to supplement - get, say, choline bitartrate. Please don't buy supplements in your gas station, just get them from iherb or amazon... This will ensure you get correct forms, dosages and actually everything you might need VS what's available. I know it's tempting for some reason, don't know why.

As far as nootropics go, your best bet is modafinil. Get a prescription and start kicking ass.

Most other nootropics have "mild" effect and as such are probably not a priority. Racetam family is also effective, but has a mild effect as well (but well studied and all that good jazz). BP recommended form - Aniracetam.

Luminosity wouldn't really make you a higher performer... if you want the real deal - do Dual-N-Back.
  • edited January 2013
    Suntoucher, thanks so much for your response.

I'm a little confused by a few things.

First: What would you consider toxic in the slowcarb diet? The legumes?

Second: I'm REALLY looking into going Ultra-BP. But what are the portions? Much like slow-carb, I understand that with BP diet you want to eat to satiation, but I don't want to undermine myself by eating 4 cups of black rice and only 15 grams of grass fed protein.

Third: Provigil and Mondafinil "might" be hard for me to get my doctor to prescribe, but I will ask. If that doesn't work then I guess I should try Adrafinil? Or is Aniracetam+choline a better source for long lasting Nootropics?

Any thoughts on Artichoke Extract + Forskolin as a Nootropic?

Thank you SO much for your expertise.
    edited January 2013
    'darkaxum' wrote:
    First: What would you consider toxic in the slowcarb diet? The legumes?

Second: I'm REALLY looking into going Ultra-BP. But what are the portions? Much like slow-carb, I understand that with BP diet you want to eat to satiation, but I don't want to undermine myself by eating 4 cups of black rice and only 15 grams of grass fed protein.
    How familiar are you with the BP diet overall? You are asking pure basics. Check out my summary for starters (sig), then dive into podcasts and blog posts. This will be a whole different world for you coming from the basic slow-carb. You are in good hands, though, can't get more anal than this image/icon_e_smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':smile:' />

Third: Provigil and Mondafinil "might" be hard for me to get my doctor to prescribe, but I will ask. If not then I guess I should try Adrafinil? Or is Aniracetam+choline a better source for long lasting Nootropics?
    Provigil, at least in USA, is prescribed for shift work "on label" and some others I can't remember. So do your research and make a good case and you'll get it. Or try a diff doc. Adrafinil is a bad option because there's liver damage risk. Risk is too high, not worth it, at least in my perspective. Though if you are perfectly healthy you might get away with it. Longterm adrafinil would be stupid, though.

From my understanding aniracetam is perfectly fine longterm. It just makes you a bit smarter. The effects are mild, but there. You won't wake up a supergenius with superfocus. Wish it worked liked that image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

Any thoughts on Artichoke Extract + Forskolin as a Nootropic?
    Sorry, don't know.

• ...... is prescribed for shit work "on label" and ....

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
    'Pierre wrote:

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    LOL. I'm kinda rebellious like that.
  • OK. If you get your diet in check, and decide what you want to do with the Modafinil....I have some additional suggestions.

This is particularly for helping you be more efficient in front of the computer.

If you have large bodies of text to read on your computer screen input it into Spreeder or some other speed reading program. If you are simply working on your computer for hours on end take a powerful racetam (piracetam or noopept...preferably noopept), a choline source (or acetylcholine precursor), and something to ward off fatigue (caffeine works fine...but modafinil would do the trick if you decide to take it). This combination is NOT subtle. You will feel a noticeable mental enhancement. It feels great.

Next, download some beta brainwave isochronic tones (or just go to mentallion.com and loop their 15 minute free preview) and listen to it. Don't do any of the ones with meditation music or sound effects in the background. just the frequency. You will be amazed at how alert your brain is while doing this on nootropics.

Then...get to work. Just try it.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • If you can't get your doctor give you a modafinil prescription, there was a blog post that Dave Asprey wrote titled "Where to get modafinil. Bulletproof readers chime in."

Here's the article: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/where-to-get-modafinil-bulletproof-readers-chime-in/

I've read that Mymodafinil.net 's service is pretty good. You might want to go with them.

• I'm writing this while I have a head-cold so I hope this makes sense.

I work for a fortune 500 company as a web-designer. Over the next month my job is going to get crazy. It does every year. 5 years in a row.

On top of my work requirements, I have just started a software company with two partners, I run a passive income website, I'm going to be working on a big freelance gig this month, and I have a wife and two kids. I'm trying to increase my performance overall so that I can provide even better for my family.

I've experimented with a few supplements in the past from my local gas station (Choline in Vitamin Water, vinpocetine and sulbutiamine from Redline energy drink) and now I'm looking to upgrade to something much stronger. I'm looking to get out of the "mind fog", focus, energy, and a mood enhancement. Any recommendations? I'm not looking for anything "subtle".

A little background: I consider myself of above average intelligence, but...I feel like I'm constantly living in a mental fog. I sometimes come out of this fog but I haven't been able to quantify it. Looking to quantify it. I'm currently running through the Brain Trainer App (currently on Basic Training - Session 8) from Luminosity on my phone and I have the horrible BPI score of 628. I am also going to take an IQ test to get a baseline. I'd like to continue to utilize Nootropics to increase my IQ and BPI score after the "crazy month" I'm about to have.

My diet is the slow-carb diet from The Four Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, I've lost 30 lbs on it (30 more to go). I'm looking forward to getting back on the PAGG stack to accelerate my fat loss. My current morning supplements are 1 tbsp of Kerrygold butter with breakfast, 10,000 iu of Vitamin D, 2000mg of Vitamin C, 200mg of b12, slightly runny eggs in the morning (for the choline).

Looking forward to your thoughts and also getting some MCT oil and Bulletproof coffee. :-P

Allow me to project my diagnosis upon you... :)

A brain fog that you just cannot figure out very well might be a thyroid problem or a T3/RT3 issue.  So, since you were/are overweight, thyroid hormones could come in to play.  You should get your thyroid functions checked.  Thyroid issues commonly cause brain fog.

If you've had your TSH and T4 levels checked and they look ok, your problem could be what's known as Wilson's syndrome (NOT Wilson's disease).  This has been my issue, so I know all about it.

In case you or anyone reading this does not know, here it is in a nutshell.

T4 = INactive thyroid hormone (comes from the thyroid gland)

T3 = active thyroid hormone (comes from T4)

RT3 = REVERSE T3 (comes from T4 and negates the T3)

If your conversion from T4 to T3 is out of balance such that too much RT3 is made, your symptoms will look exactly like hypothyroidism.  It will include weight gain and BRAIN FOG, plus whatever else is in the list of list of hypothyroid symptoms.

Getting your T3 and RT3 levels will be important.  Doctors get very stubborn and defensive about the RT3 so you have to go in with confidence and insist that you need it checked.  Get those levels and go to the RT3 calculator at: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/rt3-ratio/ .  See where you stand.  If you're out of balance, you need your doc to prescribe Liothyronine (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682462.html).  This will shut down your body's production of T4 so that it can bring down the RT3 in the bloodstream.  After it comes under control, you can stop the Liothyroinine and your body picks up where it left off, except now with better hormone levels.

Anyway, I doubt brain fog is a lack of Piracetam.  You probably have some other issue, and thyroid is likely.

• Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer

Didn't want to make a new thread for this, but I just appeared on Dr. Justin Marchegiani's Beyond Wellness Radio show to talk about some funny and cool experiences and benefits of nootropics..

Here you go.

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• I have been experimenting with and looking into nootropics a lot lately, heres the stack that I have been using:

-Alpha Brain

-DMAE

-ALCAR

-Pramiracetam

I feel like the alpha brain has been pretty effective although it is very expensive so I will probably not recommend it for that reason, it is a great "starter nootropic" though if you dont want to spend a lot of time examining and putting together your own stacks.

The DMAE and ALCAR are both sources of choline (as is alpha brain), which works great in combination with racetams. Both DMAE and ALCAR are extremely cheap to use, so you can use it as a part of a daily stack, you also need a source of choline for racetam stacks so in my opinion these are good options (alpha gpc might be more effective but it is more expensive also).

Racetams in general are the "go to" nootropics for building stacks in my opinion, they have been around for a long time and have been shown to be effective and safe to use.

Pramiracetam is a pretty powerful racetam, I think it is great for doing a lot of intellectual work, I use it for playing poker and it has made me feel extremely focused and on top of my game lately. Might not be as great for socializing or more creative work, I have felt slightly more "OCD-ish", like putting together lists of huge amounts of information and making plans etc, so it can be good for systematic thinking, planning, intellectualizing etc.

The next nootropic that I am interested in trying is Noopept, I think that might be a great "standard" nootropic to add to your basic stack for a few reasons: It is extremely cheap, 10g for about 20$ will last for about a year of daily dosing because you need such small amounts, you do not develop tolerance (according to Russian researcher and co-discoverer of Noopept Dr. Rita Ostrovskaya: http://smartdrugsmarts.com/rita-ostrovskaya-noopept/), noopept also has several neuroprotective effects so in my opinion its something you want to use as much as possible. That said I just made an order for it so I have not tried it myself yet.

• If you are constantly getting brain fog I would take Adrafinil. That is if you can not get a prescription for Modafinil from your doctor

My two cents

Rick

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file