Cell Phone Provider

I searched the forums and didn't see anything specifically about cell phone carriers / providers. If I missed it and there is one already, I apologize (just point me to it). I am currently with Verizon. Their service and coverage is great, but I am paying for it, that's for sure. I am looking to switch to a different provider and was curious if anyone out there uses Straight Talk? They are affiliated with Wal-Mart, or at least their booths are located inside Wal-Mart stores in the U.S. I have looked them up online and their price per month and services included sounds great. But, I am just curious how good their coverage (phone calls, internet, texting) really is? Also, they say they are unlimited data, but from some reviews I have read online, some people's data use has been frozen or cut off due to high level use. This seems like a bad deal and worries me. 

Anyways, I was hoping to hear from someone who actually uses Straight Talk and see if it's worth switching to. I have also looked into T-Mobile. They seem OK, but if anyone uses them and would not recommend them, let me know. I really appreciate the potential feedback! 

Thanks!

Comments

• Straight talk is fine. I switched from AT&T, and the network is exactly the same. You will lose visual voicemail if you have an iphone. Picture messages used to not work but they updated that.

After 2.5 gb they throttle you to edge speeds, but they never cut you off.

With taxes you pay about $50/mo

I like to buy used iPhones, pop a straight talk sim in and save cash like a madman. Having 2 phones on my account, I save over $80/mo over AT&T.
  • Thank you so much for the feedback! It's good to know that what they advertise on monthly price is pretty much what you pay. I dislike when providers say only $50 a month, but then the monthly data access and additional hidden fees are tacked on and the actual amount you pay is closer to $100...

This helps a bunch!

• Greg CarletGreg Carlet ✭✭
    edited March 2014

I highly recommend Ting. I have been using them for about a year now and pay less than half of what I used to with T-Mobile.

I've told a bunch of my friends that I am not usually a brand snob, but two things I recommend passionately are BPC and Ting. :smile:

• You know, I was actually looking into Ting. They say they help with getting out of your current contract if you are in one. That was intriguing to me as I am currently under contract. So, is Ting's coverage and service pretty good? Did you buy a phone through them or use the one you had with T-Mobile?

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Buy a Tracfone, son. Not kidding.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Buy a Tracfone, son. Not kidding.

They own straight talk.
  • Evan BrandEvan Brand Writer and Explorer
    edited March 2014
    Ting is the best. I just spent $23 for this month!

Evan Brand, NTP, CPT

Functional Medicine Practitioner and Podcast Host at NotJustPaleo.com

Author of REM Rehab and Stress Solutions

• HazakinsHazakins Graveyard shift putting me in the Grave!
    edited March 2014
    I LOVE Ting, been going 4-5 months with 3 android smart phones and average $35-$45 a month. Im on Wifi almost all the time and use GrooveIP with my google voice phone # for long calls.

Trying to get a grasp on Ketosis? Watch this!

• I appreciate the feedback so far! OK, between Ting and Straight Talk, do either of them have roaming charges? I know Straight Talk is unlimited calling and I understand that Ting is you pay for how much you use, but I was curious if there were added roaming charges if you travel outside of the zip code you sign up with? 

For you Ting users, I have a question, on their website it appears only Sprint phones can switch over. So, if you don't have Sprint, is the only option for getting a phone, to buy it outright? This can be costly up front for some. I didn't see any option to get a phone and have that added to your monthly bill to help ease the cost, but maybe I missed it?

Thanks!

• ST has no roaming.

Ting uses sprint and sprint has roaming charges. My assumption is that ting just doesn't use the roaming partners that sprint does.

No roaming charges on Ting. Sprint has a agreement with Verizon so you get the benefit of Sprint+Verizon coverage. They still tick away at your min and txt. No data roaming at all! Has not been a problem for me.

Look at a couple months of bills and see what your current usage is to see if Ting is worth it. For me I did 90% of data on wifi even when I did try to use mobile data all the time. The txt blocks are cheap. I have converted all my contacts that I txt alot to FB messenger anyways as I work in a Cell dead zone and am blasted with wifi all night.

With a very small effort you can really same a ton. Multi phone accounts share the same buckets, that is a cool feature as well.

Yeah that's the idea behind the low cost, they don't sub any cost of the phones. No you cant pay for a phone over several months(guess you could use a credit card and would be the same thing).

I brought my Sprint phones over to Ting.

Craigslist or friends makes it easier to pick up a used Android and get service going. 

For you Ting users, I have a question, on their website it appears only Sprint phones can switch over. So, if you don't have Sprint, is the only option for getting a phone, to buy it outright? This can be costly up front for some. I didn't see any option to get a phone and have that added to your monthly bill to help ease the cost, but maybe I missed it?

• I appreciate the feedback on roaming. Also, makes sense with Ting and not adding to the monthly cost with the phones to keep the rates low. Thanks!

• NoogisNoogis
    edited March 2014
    eBay has some last gen androids for 100. Craigslist or Facebook Yardsale groups would be even better.

Sprint iPhones can be had for less than other carriers because they refuse to unlock. I *think locked sprint iPhones are good on ting, but double check. I have seen 4s for 180.

Another option would be if you have family who would add you to their plan. We actually just joined the family sprint plan. Adding 2 unlimited lines will cost me $60/mo for both phones. ($30 ea) We have like 6 lines spread around the country now that we all share. Plus two free iphone 5c for switching from straight talk.
    edited March 2015

Bumping this.

Is Ting still all that? I've currently got an ancient little Tracfone. It's a brick-shaped model straight out of 1998. Would like to upgrade to a smartphone or something so that my wife and I could browse on-the-go, use apps and whatnot. What's my best option for hacking my cell phone bill? I'm not crazy about contracts, which is why I've enjoyed using the Tracfone, despite its simplicity. What model of smartphone is best, what's the best way to procure it and what plan/provider is best? My workplace offers wi-fi and I tend to spend a lot of time there. Had Verizon at one time, but my bill was like $120 a month. And I didn't even have a good phone. I don't make a lot of phone calls or text a ton, so I imagine most of the phone's usefulness would come from using wi-fi and various chat apps with my wife.

Thoughts?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• Yes, IMO, Ting is still the best. Let me know if you want to use my referral code. :wink:
  • If you don't need to make calls just get an iPod touch and use wifi to run all your apps and Internet browsing, there are also wifi hotspots all over if you are on the go. That's all I use, I don't have a cell.

Nice. I like it.
    edited March 2015

If you don't need to make calls just get an iPod touch and use wifi to run all your apps and Internet browsing, there are also wifi hotspots all over if you are on the go. That's all I use, I don't have a cell.

Whoa, that's really simple! Seems like it'd work. I do need a phone just in case family or work need to get ahold of me while I'm on the road, but a wi-fi capable device could bridge every other gap, more or less. Thanks for the suggestion!

I wonder if there aren't apps out there that let you use your iPod as a phone whenever you have wi-fi access? I'd be surprised if there weren't.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I wonder if there aren't apps out there that let you use your iPod as a phone whenever you have wi-fi access? I'd be surprised if there weren't.

Plenty of voip apps. 

http://lifehacker.com/5636976/how-to-turn-your-ipod-touch-into-an-iphone-4g-edition

Apparently older iPod touches needed special microphone attachments, but newer ones can take wired headphones with mics and/or bluetooth headphones with mics. 

edited March 2015

I like where this thread is going! Two iPod Touches can be had for the price of one new iPhone. And there's no contract or monthly charge to worry about this way. I could probably keep my old dinosaur of a Tracfone in the car for emergencies while using the iPod for everything else. Thanks, guys!

• I like where this thread is going!

Agreed! Call it nostalgia, but I like this "old school" way of thinking. :smile:
  • Talking about cell phone providers. Anyone knows, can providers determine anything about incoming calls or not? Someone has been calling me for several weeks and just silencing. Due to this resource and considering a phone code, I found out that the call is from France https://areaphonecodes.com/france/.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file