Yoga And Bp

Any yogis out there in bp land?  I was surprised to search for 'yoga' in the forum and got few results, nothing fully focused on yoga so here it goes...

I'm in my first week with bp diet...

I do yoga/prana (breathing) exercises every day but intense physical practice 4-5 a week.  I have added interval training once a week, but zero interest in weights.

Wondering if anyone else has had experience using whey shake after 75-90 minute vinyasa based yoga practice.  I'm a little skeptical.  I re-hydrate after practice of course but refrain from any eating for at least an hour, maybe a little papaya.  I usually don't feel hungry or a need for food after practice.    I'm going to try a 20g protein g/f whey shake after practice for the next week and see what happens and report back here... 

Any other yoga tips for the newly bp'd yogis out there?

To be clear my yoga practice is 80% religious/spiritual in motivation, I would still do it if there was no physical health benefits but obviously there are huge physical health benefits from the practice and a physical toll on my body and nutritional requirements to serve the practice...

Pura Vida,

Marc

Comments

• Yoga is great for stress-reduction, balance and flexibility. It will not build your body or improve your cardiovascular health. It is a great addition to an exercise program (I recommend a three-part system. Weights, HIIT, and Yoga) but will not be much of an exercise program by itself.

The point of a whey shake is to provide lots of bio-available protein immediately into the rebuild after muscle strain. Yoga will generally not do enough to make it worth it. (Well, maybe you are doing a lot of handstand pushups or the like as part of your practice...)

Broadly speaking, for anaerobic exercise like weight training, then is when you want the protein shake (and some carbs). After aerobic workouts, you are more interested in re-hydration. After something like yoga... you shouldn't need much. I've been reading about ginger's effects on muscle soreness lately, so dunking a slice or two of fresh ginger into your post-workout water might be a good idea. But unless you are doing weighted yoga or very extreme routines, I don't think you'll see much benefit from the protein shake.

• Yoga is great for stress-reduction, balance and flexibility. It will not build your body or improve your cardiovascular health. It is a great addition to an exercise program (I recommend a three-part system. Weights, HIIT, and Yoga) but will not be much of an exercise program by itself.

The point of a whey shake is to provide lots of bio-available protein immediately into the rebuild after muscle strain. Yoga will generally not do enough to make it worth it. (Well, maybe you are doing a lot of handstand pushups or the like as part of your practice...)

Broadly speaking, for anaerobic exercise like weight training, then is when you want the protein shake (and some carbs). After aerobic workouts, you are more interested in re-hydration. After something like yoga... you shouldn't need much. I've been reading about ginger's effects on muscle soreness lately, so dunking a slice or two of fresh ginger into your post-workout water might be a good idea. But unless you are doing weighted yoga or very extreme routines, I don't think you'll see much benefit from the protein shake.

Thanks for the info. on the whey shakes, I agree.  My experience whey'n after yoga wasn't great, I just felt overly full...

In terms of yoga as an exercise program, or whether its cardiovascular, strength builder, etc. - it really depends what type or style of yoga you take up, its all over the map.  Power Yoga and Yin Yoga for example could not be more different.  

• In terms of yoga as an exercise program, or whether its cardiovascular, strength builder, etc. - it really depends what type or style of yoga you take up, its all over the map.  Power Yoga and Yin Yoga for example could not be more different.  

To which I agree, but even weighted yoga and Power Yoga (or *shudder* DDP Extreme) tend to not have the same CV ooph of a simple jog, or the weight-intensity of simply pushing iron. It's not a bad in-between, but it doesn't compete well with either.

Then again, it's not *supposed* to. Sure, there have been all sorts of ways that people have tried to juice up yoga, but it's like jogging with barbells. Sure, you can do it, but what is it you are actually doing? It's far better to embrace what it is good at. Yoga is bodyweight exercise focusing on breathing, balance, and stretching. It's amazing for that and really shouldn't be painted as something other. Like I said before, real all-around physical fundamentals should hit all three aspects. Weights, CV, and flexi-balance.

• I don't do yoga because I don't have the time instead I do regular gym works at my home. I believe in fitness and real fitness can only be achieved by gym work. Yoga is helpful for controling our mind and help us to concentrate in our work.

• I don't do yoga because I don't have the time instead I do regular gym works at my home. I believe in fitness and real fitness can only be achieved by gym work. Yoga is helpful for controling our mind and help us to concentrate in our work.

Yoga is so much more then that.

Think of it this way, if it helps. It's a routine of bodyweight exercises designed to strengthen joints, enhance tendon and musculature elasticity, improve balance and proprioceptive response. Does that sound biohacky enough?

Gym work is important. Muscle building is a huge part of optimal health. But cardiovascular health also needs to be addressed, and basic movements and balance also need to be touched on (the number one cause of accidental injury to the elderly is falling down. As we are all heading there anyway, it makes sense to address this as much as possible now, no?). What combination of exercises you do is entirely up to you. But ignoring one section makes as much sense as just working out your left side.

• malkamus - I've been doing vinyasa power yoga for 3 1/2 years, so I totally understand where you're coming from. I tend to not want to eat after class, but when I do I feel better the next day. Lately I've been using tera's whey, l-glutamine, frozen berries, and stevia. I'm not crazy about it, but it works. The l-glutamine really helps muscle recovery for me. 

I think I liked hemp protein more but need to find a better source than what I was using. Just adding more protein in my diet has made a big difference in strength. Eating more BP in the last year has made me stronger and calmer, which adds another dimension to my yoga practice. 

• malkamus - I've been doing vinyasa power yoga for 3 1/2 years, so I totally understand where you're coming from. I tend to not want to eat after class, but when I do I feel better the next day. Lately I've been using tera's whey, l-glutamine, frozen berries, and stevia. I'm not crazy about it, but it works. The l-glutamine really helps muscle recovery for me. 

I think I liked hemp protein more but need to find a better source than what I was using. Just adding more protein in my diet has made a big difference in strength. Eating more BP in the last year has made me stronger and calmer, which adds another dimension to my yoga practice. 

I really like Tera's Whey, I like using it after HIIT and have started experimenting with weights (don't tell my yoga friends :)  and it feels great post-workout.  I'll have to maybe explore some other options, maybe half a dose of the whey.  When I'm back in the States I'm def. gonna try the l-glutamine and bring some back here.

Glad I'm not the only yogi on here - it seems to flow with BP paleo so well.  It's interesting the opposite is also true - to the extent I've chatted to any of my hard core yoga bus about the new diet stuff, they sort of look at me all bug eyed, though they are very into ghee...

• Yoga is so much more then that.

Think of it this way, if it helps. It's a routine of bodyweight exercises designed to strengthen joints, enhance tendon and musculature elasticity, improve balance and proprioceptive response. Does that sound biohacky enough?

Gym work is important. Muscle building is a huge part of optimal health. But cardiovascular health also needs to be addressed, and basic movements and balance also need to be touched on (the number one cause of accidental injury to the elderly is falling down. As we are all heading there anyway, it makes sense to address this as much as possible now, no?). What combination of exercises you do is entirely up to you. But ignoring one section makes as much sense as just working out your left side.

Saint Jason - agreed.

Rahat -- watch 10 minutes of this guy and tell me he needs to hit the gym:  David Robson

Having said all that, regardless of the physical benefits from yoga which are without doubt if done properly, the main benefits I derive are spiritual, connection with the breath, with the earth, mental clarity, and a bunch of other new agey sutff I could throw in   :mrgreen:  - sounds weird to make it bio-hacky sounding...

• Saint Jason - agreed.

Rahat -- watch 10 minutes of this guy and tell me he needs to hit the gym:  David Robson

Having said all that, regardless of the physical benefits from yoga which are without doubt if done properly, the main benefits I derive are spiritual, connection with the breath, with the earth, mental clarity, and a bunch of other new agey sutff I could throw in   :mrgreen:  - sounds weird to make it bio-hacky sounding...

Holy ****. Watching this guys transitions is incredible. He's actually doing a handstand while moving his feet from plank to forward bend. And back. He looks like he's underwater. Ho-lee-%($*#&$#(...

Yoga does have a spirtiual connection. That's fine if you want/need that. Biohackers are generally more interested in the meditative qualities, stress reduction (more efficiant then just meditation or exercise), and the physical improvements... better range of motion, improved balance, strengthened bones, tendons, ligaments, better joint health... on top of the usual exercise benefits of cardiovascular health, improved muscle health, stress reduction and better propriocepation.

• Holy ****. Watching this guys transitions is incredible. He's actually doing a handstand while moving his feet from plank to forward bend. And back. He looks like he's underwater. Ho-lee-%($*#&$#(...

Yoga does have a spirtiual connection. That's fine if you want/need that. Biohackers are generally more interested in the meditative qualities, stress reduction (more efficiant then just meditation or exercise), and the physical improvements... better range of motion, improved balance, strengthened bones, tendons, ligaments, better joint health... on top of the usual exercise benefits of cardiovascular health, improved muscle health, stress reduction and better propriocepation.

Yeah Saint Jason,  - his form is fantastic - I'm always really impressed with I get a chance to train with the Ashtanga folks - always great form, posture and intensity.  If you ever get a chance to train with one of the top Ashtanga teachers out there, jump (through) at the chance.