Bulletproof Liverwurst

I hate liver but oddly like liverwurst.  Here is my first crack at a recipe that will allow easy consumption this miracle food.

1/2 Tbs. salt
1/4 Tbs. onion powder
1/4 Tbs. Sugar(let's try xylitol)
1/4 Tbs. Ground White Pepper(let's try cayanne)
1/4 tsp. rubbed or ground Sage
1/4 tsp. Marjoram
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Ginger

5 lbs of liver, steamed till just barely cooked and cut into 1" chunks

Run through a food processor and done.  I haven't made this myself yet and so when I do I will be back to tweak if necessary.

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod

5lbs! how do you store that? freeze individual servings? use a sausage maker?

body composition coaching through Eat to Perform
  • I haven't made this yet but when I do I will freeze the servings in small containers in the freezer, maybe smear it on cucumber slices when thawed.  I think the lack of fat in the recipe may be a problem and will have butter on hand during prep just in case.

• Have you tried this yet? I'm pretty intrigued by the idea. I'm pretty cool with lightly cooked grass-fed beef liver, but I absolutely LOVE liverwurst! I just came across this post after a search on whether any of the brilliant minds here had any input on liverwurst.
  • Are there enough spices to cover up the taste of liver?

• edited September 2014

I'm a huge fan of Russian Liver and Onions.  Heck I'm a fan of grass fed liver (you know it has to be grass fed right? don't skimp here your body won't like it).   

Anyway here's the recipe, takes some time vs just butter in a sautee pan w some onions lol but worth the effort.  

• I just go down the easy route and order liverwurst from us wellness meats. "Beef Liverwurst is a mixture of grass-fed beef trim (30%), liver (30%), heart (20%) and kidney (20%)."

I eat a pound a week and consider it my offal fix. 

http://grasslandbeef.com/liverwurst

• I do the same thing.  Probably more like .5 lb for me though.  Also love the braunschweiger which is a milder taste.

I just go down the easy route and order liverwurst from us wellness meats. "Beef Liverwurst is a mixture of grass-fed beef trim (30%), liver (30%), heart (20%) and kidney (20%)."

I eat a pound a week and consider it my offal fix. 

http://grasslandbeef.com/liverwurst

• I do the same thing.  Probably more like .5 lb for me though.  Also love the braunschweiger which is a milder taste.

Lately I've been doing a crazy combo with my liverwurst. I take some romaine lettuce leaves and load them with guacamole. Then I cut the liverwurst to fit on the romaine. I've been working on eating a more nutrient packed lunch, as I BP intermittent in the mornings. This meals fits the bill on multiple levels. I know this combo seems a little crazy, but its amazing. 

• I hate liver but oddly like liverwurst.  Here is my first crack at a recipe that will allow easy consumption this miracle food.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 Tbs. salt[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 Tbs. onion powder[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 Tbs. Sugar(let's try [/font]xylitol[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif])[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 Tbs. Ground White Pepper(let's try cayanne)[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 tsp. rubbed or ground Sage[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 tsp. Marjoram[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 tsp. Nutmeg[/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]1/8 tsp. Ginger[/font]

5 lbs of liver, steamed till just barely cooked and cut into 1" chunks

Run through a food processor and done.  I haven't made this myself yet and so when I do I will be back to tweak if necessary.

You can size it down, taking tsp instead of tablespoons. Personally I'd use less spices and freshly fried onions and garlic instead of the dried stuff. 1-1,5 lb liver will do. You will tweak the taste if you add in a tbsp whisky or other stiff alcoholic. Best tweek however is use only 1 lb of liver and wait with the food processor till it's cooled down. Add up to 0.5 lb of grass-fed butter and mix. Taste, not sire about the right amount of salt.

I make something similar with chicken or duck liver. A bit of porto wine instead of whisky, some fresh basil, yum!