New To Bpd And Experiencing Headaches, Nausea Fatigue

Ive been Bulletproof for several months now and enjoy most of the amazing benefits Dave and the bulletproof team speak of. Ive benefited so greatly that ive turned my Girlfriend onto this diet. After the first couple days she felt great. She is two weeks in and has been experiencing headaches daily, which progressed to nausea and fatigue, and bloated until finally today she was too sick to go to work. early am 5:30 a.m. is when she feels worst. My initial guess was she was detoxing heavy metals, gluten or sugar withdraw, maybe switching into ketosis from carb burning metabolism. Please help me!

Last weeks diet:

Breakfast - Bulletproof Chai tea in the morning (organic chai tea w/ butter and coconut oil)

Lunch - steamed kale, asparagus, broccoli and leek with either grassfed steak or uncured no nitrate no hormone bacon 

After lunch one packet "Green Vibrance" mixed in water

Dinner - Baked purple organic sweet potato with butter cinnamon and xylitol

Last weekend (cheated on some french toast and mexican food) some alcohol. 

This weeks diet:

Breakfast - Same as above

Lunch - Same as above

After lunch one packet "Green Vibrance" mixed in water

Dinner - White Rice (jasmine)

Supplementation: D3, Biotin

Snacking: dark chocolate, macadamia nuts, coconut water all natural

***We cook all the meals on sunday night place them in the freezer (pyrex) and then she heats the lunch and dinner up at work.  It should be known that she was drinking and eating fast food not on any particular schedule (very little caloric intake) prior to starting bulletproof. 

She is 27 years old. 115 lbs slim build.

Thanks for the help. 

Comments

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

Sorry if i missed it but exactly when during the 2 week period did these symptoms start occurring?

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• felt great first 5 days or so. Then headaches started. Second week headaches and nausea worsened. Today she stayed home from work. 

• She is a small girl. Ate much less prior to this. The portions do fill her up. 

• Definitely think it's not enough food... responded to that on the other one you posted..... I know calories "don't count" but they do a little... how much is this for her? Definitely too little......

• These are full portions. I didnt give the amount of food because i simply do not know. Full bowl of the veggies listed plus bacon/steak and a bowl of potato would seem plenty if you were to see her frame. I dont feel like the lack of food is the problem. I really appreciate the feedback though guys. 

• do you feel she should be eating more meals per day (frequency) or just larger meals. I dont see how you can think the latter with no amounts provided. 

• A full bowl of kale, broculi etc... is probably like 100 calories tops....it's filling but not calorically dense and will not give the body the calories needed to just maintain organ health and everyday living which is why she is probably naueseous and now sick.... body doesn't have the calories to fight the toxins

• Ok, what do you recommend i add. More butter and coconut oil in the am? or more protein at lunch?

• Females usually need a little more carbs... how about a sweet potato at lunch with some kerrygold or butternut squash..... maybe a paleo snack of some sort like Steve's Paleo Krunch bar or granola?

• She is not exercising. Desk job from 8 am to 4 pm then school from 530 pm to 1030 pm. No time for exercise right now. I will add some butter to her veggies at lunch and some protein to her potatoes at night. I appreciate the help. I'll report back. Let me know if this sounds like a good next step
  • UPDATE: For the past few months she has been eating much worse than originally let on. Pretty much all fast food soda candybars and chips. This leads me to guess the painful stomach and headaches plus overall fatigue is a result of her "detoxing" or converting to fat burning metabolism right?

Another interesting point to men's ion is that she went #2 (bathroom) 3 times today. Normal is 1 time per day for her. Is that a sign of a flushing of her system?

Lastly she has said that the headaches are only one side of her head at a time. I have not the slightest clue what that means. She thinks it's the butter (no reason in particular) but I thought her intuitive opinion was worth noting.

Hopefully these updates point a more definite path to the cause of the negative side effects. APPRECIATE THE HELP EVERYONE!
  • Can anyone recommend ways she can easily manage her insulin after coming off of that horrible diet? Im guessing insulin issues often cause headaches, nausea and fatigue?

I have reassured her that the discomfort now may just be the transitional period. She hit the ground running with this change toward more bulletproof. I want to add that she does have a thyroid thing going on. Slow thyroid. There are obviously a lot of variables here. Today she has added carbs to lunch per megs1768's suggestion and some protein to dinner per Jason Miller's. Appreciate the help. 

Going into the weekend is there something we can focus on as she will have more free time away from work and school?  Thank for the help here guys. 

• Star ChaserStar Chaser Powered by Shred

If she's to the point of missing work i'd say definitely add more carbs at first to manage the transition and then slowly lower them. She may have jumped into it too fast. Show this to your girlfriend if she wants to get back to work asap 

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/start-the-bulletproof-diet/

I am a Video Game composer under the pseudonym Star Chaser.

twitch.tv/starchaservgm (streaming most saturday and sunday nights EST)

Guitarist:

https://youtu.be/8L0SkovqEf4

Next cover is Die by the Sword by Dragonforce.

Music/Health/Biohacking Blog and Podcast currently under construction.

Thanks to the internet, health experts, and my unending curiosity, I have overcome: excessive sweating (adrenal fatigue), anxiety and panic attacks, extremely high estrogen levels (man boobs), chronic brain fog (yeast overgrowth), depression, and am currently battling SIBO (took it from being so bloated it felt like my stomach skin was going to rip, slept 2 hours per night for a week because of upset stomach and being chronically fatigued to very mild, manageable but still annoying symptoms) and currently battling sleep deprivation/insomnia probably due to the SIBO/Leaky Gut and resulting histamine intolerance.

• edited December 2013

Lastly she has said that the headaches are only one side of her head at a time. I have not the slightest clue what that means. She thinks it's the butter (no reason in particular) but I thought her intuitive opinion was worth noting.

Headaches on one side are familiar to me. Years ago I would get them if I started or went off psychiatric meds or ate anything that kept meds from absorbing. What kind of medicine and supplements does she take?

These days I am not on any meds, but I drink lots of green tea. If I skip green tea, which has tons of mental health benefits, I get a very specific headache in one spot of my head. 

The third experience I have had with headaches specifically on the bulletproof diet would be the one time that I strayed and ate some bread (with bruchetta), some peanut sauce (with chicken kabob), and a beer. I had a very painful, very specifically located headache after that. I don't know if it was the gluten, the peanut toxins, or the alcohol, but see if there is anything along these lines you can cut out or switch.

Finally, I would add more fat to her diet in terms of avocado or wild smoked salmon or grassfed eggs. This stuff is very easy on the body. I would avoid cutting out the butter, assuming you are getting organic full fat grassfed butter. Or switch to ghee because maybe her intuition is right and the butter doesn't work for her. My girlfriend is incredible intuitive about her body and intake...to the point that as I learn more about the bulletproof diet I have to tell she she was right about all kinds of stuff, lol. 

"Most women in our culture, then, are disordered when it comes to issues of self-worth, self-entitlement, self-nourishment, and comfort with their own bodies; eating disorders, far from being ‘bizarre’ and anomalous, are utterly continuous with a dominant element of the experience of being female in this culture."— Susan Bordo 

• Also you said something about "cheating" with french toast. Is she still eating gluten sometimes? That can definitely cause diarrhea and headaches. If she is still eating gluten, even if in small amounts, she should try cutting that out completely to see if the symptoms go away.

• Thank you all for the help on this transition. We upped the carbs a little and several days later she bounced back. She feels better than ever now and is continuing with the bulletproof diet. Looking back i think we just went into it too fast. 

• This exact thing just happened to me....

Massive headache. All because of the sugar!