Bcaa Worth It?

Hi

I'm a pretty serious about sports (cycling and weight training mostly) but its all besides a full time job. I was wondering if BCAA would be worth its price for me? It's quite expensive, should I use it or are there more cost effective supplements?

And if its worth it: would it be better to use BCAA on really hard training days or short intense sessions when fasted?

Tagged:

Comments

• Really depends on what you are looking for. BCAA's are generally just used when training fasted.

A high quality protein powder would probably be a better option. All depends though, BCAA's certainly have their place.

• I've seen some BCAA's made from hydrolized protein, which I beleive is MSG?

• I find using BCAAs while training fasted (lifting) has helped me immensely. I find I can push out just those one or two extra reps.

They definitely have a place in training, but it all comes down to how you respond to them.

• ALWAYS!

Pure BCAA powder is DIRT CHEAP. Don't buy a brand name product, find a bulk powder supplier and stock up.

If you want to go all out, get some EAA's as well.

If I had only ONE supplement to take for my weightlifting, it would be BCAA's hands down.

• I've always used BCAAs for workouts, on the few times where I'd run out going into and during I just lacked any significant drive and stamina. I've been absolutely loving the Natural Stacks BCAA recently but certainly any bulk powder is going to be great. 

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

Depends. If you are training fasted, it makes sense. However, whey is generally a better deal (also comes with glutathione boosting effects). If you are getting tons of protein over the day, the effect will likely be negligible, and thus, if cost is a concern, a net negative..

• yeah i was just wondering that. if you aren't training fasted aren't you pretty much getting BCAAs from food anyways?

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭

yeah i was just wondering that. if you aren't training fasted aren't you pretty much getting BCAAs from food anyways?

You do. It's just 3 specific amino acids with claimed "extra benefits" when in free form. Very overmarketed if you ask me.

They make some sense as a pre-workout if you are training fasted, though. Some claim they reduce DOMS.

• Unless you are dieting, calorie restricted, or fasting for some reason, you should be getting plenty of BCAA off a regular (and especially if you are Bulletproof) diet. Beans, meat and dairy are all loaded with them.

It's worth noting that there have been very inconsistent results from any kind of scientific study showing any effect from them at all. More, as they are present in all sorts of food, it's more likely that the whole BCAA craze is yet another marketing ploy to make you buy another jumbo canister full of something you could just get from dinner.

• yeah i am still not sure what to make of them. i mean, their main use seems to be getting a quick source of amino acids if you're fasting right? but if you get amino acids, are you still really fasting? i know keifer has mentioned in his books that leucine by itself can cause a rise in insulin, and isn't one of the points of fasting to keep insulin levels down? the selling point of BCAAs seems to be that you avoid muscle loss in a fasted state, which means you can burn fat without burning muscle, but if you boost insulin doesn't that potentially take you out of fat burning mode? or is that insulin spike pretty insignificant as long as you avoid taking in calories until after expending some energy (like after a workout)?

• Hi

I'm a pretty serious about sports (cycling and weight training mostly) but its all besides a full time job. I was wondering if BCAA would be worth its price for me? It's quite expensive, should I use it or are there more cost effective supplements?

And if its worth it: would it be better to use BCAA on really hard training days or short intense sessions when fasted?

I don't think they are a necessity, especially if you're getting enough protein (which already contains amino acids). But I do like to take them on cardio days to try and limit any catabolic effects (losing muscle). I take them intra workout and like some one said they're pretty cheap anyway. 

http://www.samedaysupplements.com/optimum-nutrition-bcaa-1000-60-caps.html

• yeah i am still not sure what to make of them. i mean, their main use seems to be getting a quick source of amino acids if you're fasting right? but if you get amino acids, are you still really fasting? i know keifer has mentioned in his books that leucine by itself can cause a rise in insulin, and isn't one of the points of fasting to keep insulin levels down? the selling point of BCAAs seems to be that you avoid muscle loss in a fasted state, which means you can burn fat without burning muscle, but if you boost insulin doesn't that potentially take you out of fat burning mode? or is that insulin spike pretty insignificant as long as you avoid taking in calories until after expending some energy (like after a workout)?

This is something I would love to know the answer to. BCAAs seem very "worth" it from a muscle retention point of view but by taking BCAAs, it seems logical that since insulin increases, autophagy is no longer occuring and fat burning mode is disabled. Mark Berkhan of Leangains posted some studies proving the necessity of BCAAs whether in the "pre-workout" form or a pre-workout meal containing protein yet Mr. Pilon, the man who wrote Eat stop Eat, I am pretty sure says they are unnecessary (I can't remember where exactly).

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I think it is much more complex than to worry about a temporary raise in insulin. (I was losing fat rapidly years ago when I ate about five times a day, so I guess my insulin levels were often "elevated" yet I was doing fine.)

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• yeah i've been "eating" 5 times a day for the past couple months (if you count having some whey protein a couple times a day in addition to my regular 3 meals) and have lost an average of a lb. a week for the past 8 weeks (on purpose).