Red Light At Night

I've been using a 250 red light heat lamp at night for mitochondrial health,e tc. I was told if you use it at bedtime, it can help with deep sleep ,etc...

Others have said it could be energizing at night.

I have difficulty sleeping and wondering if this is a good idea? 

Comments

• I use the same thing, an incandescent heat lamp....

I usually put it close/directly facing my body first thing in the morning, but at night I'd say maybe just face it upwards into the room to get the overall amber coloring as opposed to direct contact.

• Is there anything special about first thing in the morning or can it be mid day as well?

How long do you usually use the lights for? 

• Well I kind of pieced together what I could information wise on this, but couldn't really find anything too concrete.

Most of this was taken from the podcast with Steve Fawkes, and some from Jack Kruse, though the Fawkes podcast was a bit vague and would really love some more insight from Dave and potentially Steve on a potential protocol.

Here's my understanding:

Amber/Incandescent light first thing in the morning is used to "bracket" the cortisol response, and simulate more of a natural sunrise type response vs straight into dark or light. Also, Jack Kruse is a big fan of looking directly into sunlight/incadescent lights first thing in the morning as a naturalized way to start the day from a mitochondrial and circadian standpoint. I assume using these lamps mid day is futile in terms of circadian benefits, but should be totally legit for things like mitochondrial stimulation etc.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

It is my understanding that the heat rays from infrared lamp will will go through the skin and help the body to produce cortisol. You want to do this first thing in the morning because your cortisol is usually highest in the morning. So it will help you wake up but I must say the warm nice infrared heat helps me to fall asleep as well... It feels good. :)

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• This is really helpful. I've been using the Philips GoLite in the mornings. If I have time to do only one thing, would the red light be better of the GoLite?

I could then do the red light during the day when I have more time. Mornings are quite rushed for me. 

• It is my understanding that the heat rays from infrared lamp will will go through the skin and help the body to produce cortisol. You want to do this first thing in the morning because your cortisol is usually highest in the morning. So it will help you wake up but I must say the warm nice infrared heat helps me to fall asleep as well... It feels good. :)

Wait do you mean to reduce cortisol in the morning?

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015

REDUCE?

Actually you want high cortisol in the morning....so why would we want to reduce it?

It says here that it helps in the morning because it increases the production of ATP and circulation in your body. https://www.bulletproofexec.com/transcript-95-hacking-your-ph-led-lighting-and-smart-drugs-with-steve-fowkes-part-2/ Infrared has many different effects. I only find health podcasts and blogs with info on infrared and cortisol... but in this episode he recommends morning and evening red light and blue light throughout the day.

I do both in the morning. Trying to make it as bright as possible...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• confused- is cortisol good in the morning?  if yes, why do the salt water hack to reduce adrenal production of cortisol in the am?

REDUCE?

Actually you want high cortisol in the morning....so why would we want to reduce it?

It says here that it helps in the morning because it increases the production of ATP and circulation in your body. https://www.bulletproofexec.com/transcript-95-hacking-your-ph-led-lighting-and-smart-drugs-with-steve-fowkes-part-2/ Infrared has many different effects. I only find health podcasts and blogs with info on infrared and cortisol... but in this episode he recommends morning and evening red light and blue light throughout the day.

I do both in the morning. Trying to make it as bright as possible...

• I don't think drinking salt first thing in the morning has much if any effect on cortisol. Aldosterone is the main adrenal hormone for regulating electrolyte levels and is the most likely to be impacted by sodium intake. 

confused- is cortisol good in the morning?  if yes, why do the salt water hack to reduce adrenal production of cortisol in the am?

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net