Question Re: Making Coffee From A Noob

I've never been much of a coffee drinker, but I just finished 2 weeks of the BP intermittent fasting diet with morning BP coffee/butter and am very pleased with the results, having lost 9.4lbs in 2 weeks.  (I have about 110 - 120 pounds to lose)

So I am convinced and will be investing in more BP coffee.  So, it is rather expensive and so I am running the numbers of buying a 5lb bag versus the 12oz bag of coffee. Obviously, buying the 5lb bag is the better deal. I've seen the recommendations here for buying the coffee in 5lb bag and freezing.  For reasons I won't go into, I do not have the resources to freeze coffee.

So my question is, what are the reasons to freeze the coffee and is it really necessary?  Given that I do not have the resources, currently, to freeze, should I just buy the 12oz bags, despite the cost, in order to get the benefit of BP coffee?  What is your recommendation?

Thanks

Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited May 2015

So my question is, what are the reasons to freeze the coffee and is it really necessary?  Given that I do not have the resources, currently, to freeze, should I just buy the 12oz bags, despite the cost, in order to get the benefit of BP coffee?  What is your recommendation?

The main reason to freeze coffee is it basically just loses flavor over time when exposed to the oxygen in the air. Freezing delays that reaction.

Over a longer period of time, however, it's possible that moisture and mold spores could get in there, and actually cause problems. Put this in the same category as grains or rice spoiling in your pantry when you buy in bulk and don't seal it well. Not a huge concern, but possible. 

Frankly what I'd do in your case right now in the short term is jump on the Onnit deal, they are going to stop carrying BP coffee and are currently offering 12oz bags (and "twin packs" of 12oz bags) at a pretty deep discount. 

Alternatives:

- buy 5lb bags, and on a dry day separate them into sealed freezer bags, but don't freeze, using one at a time

- buy 5lb bags and find a vacuum sealer or just be careful to not leave it open and minimize air in the bag

- buy other coffee. Blasphemy, I know, but the Upgraded beans aren't what's giving you the weight loss. They're just better quality which should improve mental clarity and not make you have to pee all the time. But if you can find a pretty good quality coffee, you can still make butter coffee which will provide bulletproof intermittent fasting benefits. 

...I'm currently really enjoying a pound of Dean's Beans "Ring of Fire" blend. Sometimes I need variety. For serious coffee drinkers (probably not you, OP) who miss an intense dark roast, I cannot recommend Ring of Fire enough... for flavor and fair trade reasons only, of course, though I don't seem to be having any negative reactions.

• Thanks ACH85.  I just ordered 4 12oz bags from Onnit.  And thanks for reminding me about the vacuum sealer; I remember reading about that here.  Perhaps that was you. 

Also I get what you are saying about the BP coffee not causing me to lose the weight.  We use BP coffee because we want to stop adding toxins and mycotoxins to our systems, and supposedly BP coffee is the cleanest around.  

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Yep, don't get me wrong I think Upgraded beans are great and I've bought several 5lb bags. But for people on a budget, you can still get the benefits of buttered coffee with other types of coffee. Or tea, or the "vanilla latte" in the Bulletproof Diet book, which is basically hot water, vanilla, and fats. People shouldn't think that following the Bulletproof diet means buying a bunch of stuff from Dave. The products are great though, and worth the money if you have it. 

There may be a point where the coffee is so crappy that the toxins and adulterants cause inflammation and slow weight loss, but for the most part I don't think that's going to happen until you get down to the level of instant coffees, or stuff that comes in a can.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file