Day 5 Of Bp Diet W Daily If, Stomach "pooch"?

Not the best word to describe something, but not sure how else to call it!

I've always had a flat stomach, even when I gained weight due to injury. Around Day 3 of the BP diet I stared noticing my lower abdomen was puffier. It's gotten more noticeable now on Day 5.

I'm starting my day with BPC w 1 TBS MCT oil and 2 TBS Ghee and not drinking more of that after 2pm, fasting 15-16 hours a day, then having meals of BP-approved fish, lettuce with apple cider vinegar (which was the only approved vinegar I saw, and it has the mother in it) and EVOO (also saw that was approved?), cooked spinach, and eggs during my eating window. I am getting 7-8 hours of sleep and drinking water as well (as I always have). 

Any ideas? 

Tagged:

Comments

• Are you supplementing with sea salt? 

Increased salt will help you retain more water (which is a good thing).

I suppose the question is "how much puffier". 

Do you have comparison weight / pics anything?

Body composition naturally shifts during a diet change.

Rob

• Lettuce is difficult to digest unless your digestion is working at an optimal level to begin with.  Cooked veggies cause way less bloating.

• edited June 2015

Are you supplementing with sea salt? 

Increased salt will help you retain more water (which is a good thing).

I suppose the question is "how much puffier". 

Do you have comparison weight / pics anything?

Body composition naturally shifts during a diet change.

Rob

No salt supplements, and no photos; it's not noticeable to anyone but me and I'm not the type to take photos of myself! I actually drink a lot of water (always have) so even if I was increasing salt, it shouldn't have too great of an effect since my intake is high.

Lettuce is difficult to digest unless your digestion is working at an optimal level to begin with.  Cooked veggies cause way less bloating.

I've never had this before and my diet was mostly veggies, fish and eggs already. I read that some of the veggies on the BP scale should only be eaten cooked (like spinach), so I steam mine. But I have my own garden and everything is picked right before use, so I'd hate to lose all those nutrients that die in the cooking process, which is why I have continued to eat lettuce raw. Like I said, my diet was already full of veggies and salads, so I'm not sure that would be the cause? Open to hearing other perspectives, though!

The things I've changed in my diet are: all the butter (I didn't do much of that before), MCT oil (I did use olive oil before), coffee, and xylitol. Previously, I wasn't eating any sugar (including honey, maple syrup, etc.), and didn't have any grains outside of one cheat meal with corn tortillas once every week or two. And I've never had coffee except for a handful of cups before and I've never liked it, but I'm doing it for the purposes of this diet. That's where I add the xylitol because coffee tastes so horrible to me.

I'm doing this diet mostly because of the brain fog I had -- that brain fog was killing my momentum, and since I run an adventure sports organization as well as write, it needed to be banished asap! That has cleared up (immediately) with the diet. But I do not want to gain weight; it's not needed here! :)

Thanks! 

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Why the xylitol...if you never used sugars/sweetners before.

If you don't need it, drop it

fake it till you make it

• Why the xylitol...if you never used sugars/sweetners before.

If you don't need it, drop it

Because I'm new to coffee and it's not a happy introduction!  :) 

"That's where I add the xylitol because coffee tastes so horrible to me."

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

You don't have to start drinking coffee. You can do just great without it. If you don't need it, more power to you.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• You don't have to start drinking coffee. You can do just great without it. If you don't need it, more power to you.

That's great to hear! So if I am trying to keep my brain clear & lose the weight I gained post-injury, what should I be mixing my MCT Oil and Ghee in with in the morning (I am on the two-week IF diet)? Because of all the extra costs incurred from the food portion of this diet, I can't afford his Upgraded products as well, so I went with his second best suggestion for coffee - the locally roasted, single source, organic kind that was roasted just the day before I purchased it. However, I'd love to not drink coffee if possible. I haven't ever been a caffeine drinker (including tea, only herbal); I'm not sure if herbal tea is allowed if you're trying to lose weight & keep the ol' brain clear (worried about toxins). Thoughts? 

Also, any idea, based on what I said about my diet, why my lower abdomen might be puffed out a bit? Thanks, Reka and all!

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Are you weighing yourself...has your weight gone up?

& what are your weight/body fat/muscle goals

fake it till you make it

• Are you weighing yourself...has your weight gone up?

& what are your weight/body fat/muscle goals

Hey Daz, 

No, I don't weigh myself, just go by how my clothes fit and how my muscle tone is. A lot of women here have said not to trust the scale and in general, I don't, but I'd like to lose 15 pounds to start. :) My weight doesn't seem to have changed, though, just wondering about the abdomen thing. It's okay! Just curious since I've never seen this before, but I've never eaten fat like this before, either (or had coffee). So wondering if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there's not a simple answer for this!

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'm not sure if herbal tea is allowed if you're trying to lose weight & keep the ol' brain clear (worried about toxins). Thoughts? 

Herbal tea would depend on the herbs and quality, and it should be pretty hard to tell their quality from just the label, unfortunately. 

While you went the right route in terms of non-upgraded coffee, the single-source organic stuff is generally designed for coffee lovers, so it tends to have a much stronger flavor than even upgraded coffee beans. 

I do think it's a good idea to test xylitol for the "pooch." 

If I were you, I would try some of these...

1) Use the (hopefully unsweetened) herbal teas you have now in the short term, if you drank them before without a bad reaction, they're OK for at least a while longer

2) Find a decaf "high quality green tea" or just a green tea, which are dark green and green respectively on the BP diet roadmap. Not sure how it will taste with butter, but just try to create something you can drink unsweetened. 

3) Consider the "no-coffee vanilla latte" which is BP coffee ingredients minus coffee, plus Upgraded vanilla. Which is still expensive but will last a while, and you could start by testing regular store-bought vanilla to see if you can do it without sweetners.

4) You're still bulletproof if you follow the BP diet roadmap without buttered drinks replacing breakfast. Eat a fatty breakfast with some protein. 

• steve001steve001
    edited June 2015

I would think that many people react different to dietary changes. Your body could not be adapted to the new diet and going into fat storage mode giving you a pooch. If your aiming for ketosis, get a ketone meter. You dont have to stick to low carb to be bulletproof necessarily. Some people loose weight when their metabolism is constantly stimulated by eating up to 5 large meals a day. Play around.

• Any chance you're constipated? I felt some weird lower abdominal fullness for a few days when I first went Bulletproof. Upped my magnesium at night by 400mg (I have to take 1200mg nightly if I want to have any chance of bowel movement the next day) and it cleared out the next day.
  • I'm curious about how your bowels have been doing with MCT oil. I found that MCT oil can cause stomach upset and bloating until it makes you regular. As for what to drink for your fat in the am, I take my MCT in a shot glass mixed with my beverage of choice. For me that's hot or iced coffee, but you could do your favorite BP tea if there is one. I add my MCT to the shot glass or demitasse cup depending on temperature of coffee, and top off with the drink I actually want to taste. Then stir between each sip so you're not sucking MCT off the top. I don't love MCT in my coffee, and I also didn't love taking a straight tablespoon like medicine. You might give a similar method a try for your IF drink.