How Important Are "bulletproof" Brand Beans?

Bottom line of this post:  Has anybody actually tried Dave's beans for a while, then switched to a single origin organic coffee bean and found a difference?

I ask becasue...

I've been drinking bulletproof coffee beans with grass fed butter and I'll admit, it's a great way to start the day and I'm definitely not hungry until dinner (I usually have 3-4 cups in the AM and then another cup around 2pm and eat for the first time around 6pm).

But I can't help thinking that a bit of Dave's hype around his beans might be just that...hype.  The only reason I say this is because if you have a business like this, you have to sell something proprietary.  You can't make money saying "Hey, world, I invented putting grass fed butter in coffee."  You need to come up with someone nobody else has...enter low toxin coffee beans.

So again, has anybody actually tried Dave's beans for a while, then switched to a single origin organic coffee bean and found a difference?  It would be so much easier to buy beans locally.

Comments

• edited April 2015

Probably depends on the individual. For the past several weeks I've been putting different coffee to "the piss test". Dave always says that mycotoxin laden coffee will make you urinate more often so I've been keeping track of the number of times I urinate 3 hours after drinking a cup of BP coffee on intermittent fasting days. So far I've tested 5 different brands of coffee including 3 single origin washed beans, some organic Keurig cups from Whole Foods and of course BP beans. Summary so far - no statistical difference at all. 95% of the time I urinate exactly 2 times within the first three hours, no matter what coffee I drink.

I'll make a full post on this in the future when I've collected more data. I should also mention that I also keep track of how I feel day to day and I haven't noticed any difference there either. 

Bottom line of this post:  Has anybody actually tried Dave's beans for a while, then switched to a single origin organic coffee bean and found a difference?

I ask becasue...

I've been drinking bulletproof coffee beans with grass fed butter and I'll admit, it's a great way to start the day and I'm definitely not hungry until dinner (I usually have 3-4 cups in the AM and then another cup around 2pm and eat for the first time around 6pm).

But I can't help thinking that a bit of Dave's hype around his beans might be just that...hype.  The only reason I say this is because if you have a business like this, you have to sell something proprietary.  You can't make money saying "Hey, world, I invented putting grass fed butter in coffee."  You need to come up with someone nobody else has...enter low toxin coffee beans.

So again, has anybody actually tried Dave's beans for a while, then switched to a single origin organic coffee bean and found a difference?  It would be so much easier to buy beans locally.

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

• Please keep up the experiment and let us know.  Exactly what I'm looking for.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Good, single-origin coffee wet-process coffee will be perfectly good much of the time, probably the vast majority of the time. There *may* be very low level chronic contamination that you don't notice (though I actually suspect that's less likely,) and there will *likely* be occasional contamination, whether one bag of beans a year, or even less. 

In fact, I only feel crappy from basic Starbucks maybe 1/10 times, and I only drink that if I'm traveling. 

For me, it came down to the following logic:

- There may or may not be low, non-noticeable levels of mycotoxins (something the piss test can't account for) which can still cause subtle problems over time. I wrote about this extensively here, but the gist is that mycotoxins at undetectable levels can act synergistically, plus one of them (Ochratoxin A) actually damages the organ we use to process it and has a long half-life, so hypothetically we'd expect it to build up over time in a subtle, undetectable way. Basically I decided I'm not very mycotoxin sensitive, and I'm not going to freak out about it, but if I have the option I'd like to avoid them even at low chronic levels... in order to preserve my ability to handle the occasional acute dose. 

- If I buy 5lb bags of Upgraded beans and freeze them in several bags, the price works out to be the same as buying 12oz bags of any other worthwhile coffee. 

So for daily use, I avoid low-level chronic exposure, and because I don't stress about it I'm free to get the occasional random delicious coffee at a nice coffee shop. I'll even buy a whole bag of non-upgraded beans once in a while for variety, but for ~300 days a year, it's pretty easy and just as cheap to use Upgraded. 

• I should say my motivation for my experiment is not to save money but the desire for more variety. I find Dave's beans to be a bit bland compared to a lot of the single origin coffee I've tried from local roasters. 

Good, single-origin coffee wet-process coffee will be perfectly good much of the time, probably the vast majority of the time. There *may* be very low level chronic contamination that you don't notice (though I actually suspect that's less likely,) and there will *likely* be occasional contamination, whether one bag of beans a year, or even less. 

In fact, I only feel crappy from basic Starbucks maybe 1/10 times, and I only drink that if I'm traveling. 

For me, it came down to the following logic:

- There may or may not be low, non-noticeable levels of mycotoxins (something the piss test can't account for) which can still cause subtle problems over time. I wrote about this extensively here, but the gist is that mycotoxins at undetectable levels can act synergistically, plus one of them (Ochratoxin A) actually damages the organ we use to process it and has a long half-life, so hypothetically we'd expect it to build up over time in a subtle, undetectable way. Basically I decided I'm not very mycotoxin sensitive, and I'm not going to freak out about it, but if I have the option I'd like to avoid them even at low chronic levels... in order to preserve my ability to handle the occasional acute dose. 

- If I buy 5lb bags of Upgraded beans and freeze them in several bags, the price works out to be the same as buying 12oz bags of any other worthwhile coffee. 

So for daily use, I avoid low-level chronic exposure, and because I don't stress about it I'm free to get the occasional random delicious coffee at a nice coffee shop. I'll even buy a whole bag of non-upgraded beans once in a while for variety, but for ~300 days a year, it's pretty easy and just as cheap to use Upgraded. 

• Are either of you quantifying this consistency in any meaningful way? 

Bland but very consistent, my choice for frequent use. 

I've found other brands very inconsistent, Daves is not.

• So you're just recalling this from memory or do you actually record the number and types of adverse reactions with different brands of coffee? 

The reason I ask is because I always thought I urinated more often with non BP beans, but when I actually quantified it, it turns out I don't. By the way, I also track blood glucose 3x a day (waking, noon, 2 pm) and HRV throughout the day. No change there either. 

Yes, 10+ 5lb bags of bp beans and no adverse reactions (tiredness, headache, histamine type sinus response, etc), can't say the same for anything else I've tried. Doesn't get any more meaningful than that.

• I found Dave's beans are the only way that i can drink coffee. They tend to taste better, and i'm not running to the bathroom every 10 minutes. Like when I use beans from other brands.  When I run out of Dave's beans (usually 3-4 days while i wait for shipping) I stop drinking coffee and just eat the butter and MCT. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Not tracking in a meaningful way, based on my above logic that I may not have a noticeable adverse reaction to all mycotoxins that I'd like to avoid and that the price is similar to other good coffee. When I first started I did something similar to Jason, basically just going until an adverse reaction, and noticing it didn't happen with BP beans.

But I agree on flavor, it's pretty good but boring. I'm still a coffee snob, and will still have tasty other coffee as a treat. As detailed in my wine thread, I still enjoy wine occasionally despite numerous potential contaminants. 

• I have done a more detailed form of tracking which I documented here:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/10860-is-bulletproof-coffee-a-scam/#entry83911

I hope that others duplicate the procedure so that we can have more data.

• I was recently in Costa Rica and stumbled upon an American couple who have a restaurant and also sell beans.  www.cafemilagro.com.  I purchased Uno, a bean that won the Cup of Excellence award.  It was delicious, while in Costa Rica, made conventionally and not with butter and brain oil.  I brought a bunch home and it just didn't taste as good as Bulletproof beans.  I used my bag up, then switched back to Bulletproof and couldn't believe how much better it tasted.  Then, went back to the Milagro beans, and didn't taste as good.  Back, again, to Bulletproof, which I simply like much better.

I understand what you mean about bland, possibly.  Other beans, before I made them with the oil and butter, did have some delicious notes that are lacking in bulletproof beans.  However, overall, I'm just sticking with Dave's beans for now.  Hope this helps...

• I just like the way Dave's coffee tastes (even with just milk- I know heresy- or MCT oil and nut or other milk).  I used to make traditional BP coffee and liked it but got away from putting the butter in as I now tend to eat breakfast more often, i.e. not fast.

Actually, I also really like Mount Hagen Organic Freeze Dried coffee.  

• I, too, was interested in more variety. So, we just started trying out a Peet's coffee, single origin/wet processed from Guatemala. Have another of theirs from Costa Rica to try after. So far, zero difference in how I feel, how frequently I urinate, etc...

I agree Dave's beans are a bit bland. They're good, but not particularly "interesting" on my palate. I like Peet's a lot better, but that's a taste thing. 

I still have a good pound of Dave's beans left. After we burn through these two bags of Peet's, I'll go back to Dave's and see what I notice.